The Student Room Group

How long does it take you to read a book?

Some people can sit down and finish a book in four hours and some take days, weeks or even months to finish a book. On average, how long does it take you to finish a book? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michiyo
Some people can sit down and finish a book in four hours and some take days, weeks or even months to finish a book. On average, how long does it take you to finish a book? :smile:

It depends. I go through phases of reading books. I can read a book in a few hours if I'm committed, other times a few days or for my current book it's taking me a few months because I keep forgetting about it.
Original post by Michiyo

Normally 2-3 days. Depend on homework, at most a week.
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Normally 2-3 days. Depend on homework, at most a week.

do u speed read or something? takes me like a month to finish a 200 page book lol
Reply 4
Depends on the book.

I could read The Very Hungry Caterpillar in about a minute.
Whereas I've never finished some of my uni textbooks, and never intend to, so that's an infinite duration.
Original post by Gent2324
do u speed read or something? takes me like a month to finish a 200 page book lol

I don't know, may be I'm just really committed. But I think I read quite fast.
Reply 6
Depends how into it I am. The quickest I've ever read a full-length novel was about two hours. Normally I read slower than that though, so it takes maybe two or three days.
It varies a lot. Sometimes I can finish multiple books in a day and other times it takes me weeks or even months to actually finish a book. I often have several on the go admittedly.
Original post by Michiyo

It would take weeks or months for me, depending on how interesting the book was.
maybe like 5 hours? in the sun? with a couple of pints of water? and my sunglasses? in greece.....oh wait no in freaking england lol
here everything depends on the circumstances. It is important that you read, whether it is easy. 1984 I read Oruel in two days in one breath
Original post by Michiyo

If we are talking about literature, mainly novels, I need at least two weeks to complete as a rule. Sometimes more than four weeks. For a brick of a book even months!
I read 40 pages of a philosophy book in a 40 minute train journey this morning. It is a skill whereby the more you do the quicker you get.

With that said, whilst I can sometimes do a few books in a day, I have that many on the go that it will usually take me weeks or months to finish one.
Original post by Michiyo

A few days, more or less. Usually I cannot help it, and I stay up late if it's really exciting. :h:
Original post by rockyrhythm
A few days, more or less. Usually I cannot help it, and I stay up late if it's really exciting. :h:

And that goes for novels with many pages, so approximately about 500+ pages too? you are incredible very fast in reading then.
Original post by Kallisto
And that goes for novels with many pages, so approximately about 500+ pages too? you are incredible very fast in reading then.

Actually, yes, I do read very fast, as I was told that many times by people who know me. Of course, there are times when I'm too busy to read, so it takes longer, but in general, this is how it goes.
As others have said, depends on the book! Typically a few days, but again, depends on what else I have on and how gripping the book is. Some I'll race through and finish in one session, others will take me weeks.
If I looove the book then maybe a few days or weeks, but I am terrible at finding the time so it could take me months to a year lol
Original post by rockyrhythm
Actually, yes, I do read very fast, as I was told that many times by people who know me. Of course, there are times when I'm too busy to read, so it takes longer, but in general, this is how it goes.

Respect. I wish to be as fast as like you and I can read classics like Ulysses by James Joyce (almost 1000 pages!) in no time!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RodneyYarbrough
If a book is really interesting to me, then I can read it for a few days

Would say the same, if the book has 100 pages at the maximum. :colondollar: For 200+ it is always a whole week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending