The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
abc88
It depends on how good the book is. If I am really into the book i could read it in less than a day depending on how much time I have. However there is the odd book that has taken me several weeks and even months to get round to finishing.

Or years, I recently finished a book that I started three years ago, and had got half way through... pleasingly I could remember a fair bit of it.
Reply 41
I started reading 'The Tennant of Wildfield Hall' last summer. I still cannot bring myself to finish it and yet I have been able to read many books since. I have set myself a target to go back to it and finish it before this summer but it is looking doubtful at the moment.
Reply 42
Right now it's taking me weeks and even months to finish books.
I'm just not motivated enough!!

I used to read one a week :frown:
Reply 43
I've been reading Anna Karenina for about a year :s-smilie: :rolleyes:
FrenchGal
I'm a really fast reader, and I've been told that it's because I don't read each word - I only read the beginning of each word, and skip the end as soon as I've guessed its meaning. My gran does that as well, and she's the fastest reader I've ever met. And I think I'm starting to do it in English as well, so I'm increasing my reading speed in this language now.
I'm not really aware I read this way though - only when, sometimes, I guess the end of the word wrongly and it changes the meaning of the sentence - but it doesn't happen very often. Sometimes I'd like to take the time to savour each word, but I can't, I have to read fast otherwise it becomes fastidious and boring. Like looking up words when I read in English - I've never done it in my life.

so even when you were learning english, would you just try and read a book and be satisfied with understanding only parts of it/just understanding what you could? did you not get frustrated with not understanding everything?
i'm just interested because i have the same problem with french :smile: i'm trying to read books in french, and i can understand some but not loads without using a dictionary, but i find it quite frustrating having to often guess at the meaning. on the other hand, it's also boring, like you say, having to stop and look up words.
i hope this post makes sense!
AisAis
I think I've read somewhere about how some people read the letters, some read the words, and some can read lines at a time.

I have to read at about the spead I read aloud, but a little quicker. I get faustrated in English though when we read it out round the class because it's soooo slow. You can't enjoy it like that either!

Also, when I read something I really like, like some nice sentences with pretty words, I have to read it back again a few times. :love:

yup, :dito: :smile:
Reply 46
I tried reading Mrs. Dalloway in a really fast way, almost skim reading it, and i felt ill! :biggrin:
Of all the authors to skim read too!
Reply 47
xx Rebecca
so even when you were learning english, would you just try and read a book and be satisfied with understanding only parts of it/just understanding what you could? did you not get frustrated with not understanding everything?
i'm just interested because i have the same problem with french :smile: i'm trying to read books in french, and i can understand some but not loads without using a dictionary, but i find it quite frustrating having to often guess at the meaning. on the other hand, it's also boring, like you say, having to stop and look up words.
i hope this post makes sense!

Yeah, I have been reading books in French too and it is difficult cause I don't understand everything. But I just feel it's too annoying and destroys the flow of the book if I stop to look up words every paragraph. I only look them up if they're recurring and seem vital to the overall meaning. I just feel if I keep reading without stopping and starting that I'm able to pick up the meaning almost entirely, I just kind of get into the flow of it after a while and the meaning pieces itself together in my brain lol.
Does anyone else feel that being at University has taken away the charm of reading and turned it into an insufferable race for completion?
It all depends really I mean if I haven't anything to do I could read one book in a day but if I am busy it could take me upto three weeks.
mojopin
Out of interest how long does it take you to get through a piece of literature. i recently met someone who said whilst on holiday he'd got through 30 books in a month, so basically one a day. To me this seems like absolute rubbish. It usually takes me at least 4 or 5 days to get through something of maybe 400-500 pages . Just wondering what other people's reading habits are like or if i'm just unbelievably slow when it comes to books

Well i could certainly manage 30 in a month but i wouldnt have much time to do anything but read. Generally im the same as you i take 4-5 days for a 500 or so page book although it varies dependant upon the kind of book.
Reply 51
My partner can read a book in an hour or two. I on the other hand take between three and seven days, depending on the length and general grippingness of the book. I console myself by thinking that he won't remember much of the book in a month's time, whereas seem to remember a great deal.
I can read a classic in 3 hours. But then... I read fast and have to read so much that I've 'evolved' that way.
Depends if I enjoy it. Like if it's for uni, then hmm :|

But if it's for leisure and I like the topic then sometimes I read so fast, I savour pages and read them twice before going onto the next chapter! Sad I know :ninja:

Latest

Trending

Trending