The Student Room Group

A level English language

Hi, I will be taking A level English language (AQA specification B) alongside English literature, French and Philosophy & Ethics. I would just like to know how the course breaks down and what I will be specifically studying. I would also like to know just generally what it is like and how good it is.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by existential
Hi, I will be taking A level English language (AQA specification B) alongside English literature, French and Philosophy & Ethics. I would just like to know how the course breaks down and what I will be specifically studying. I would also like to know just generally what it is like and how good it is.
Thank you :smile:

I did both English and philo.

YOU GET TO LEARN AMAZING STUFF. AQA doesn't do step specs anymore. They combined it now.

It's very methodical. You learn the rules and meanings of grammar, lexis, pragmatics, phonology and morphology. You learn about the way children learn to speak and write. Examples are its a common occurrence toddlers will call cats lions or a cat a tiger and etc. you get to find out why this phenomena happens. You get to learn about how drawing pictures and scribbling helps children hold a pen n learn to write using their motor skills. You will also (possibly) learn about feral children and bilingualism. Also Lang disabilities such as dyslexia hinders writing and why we write upside down or do a backward B by mistake as kids. All interesting stuff!

You also learn theories of gender so why do women bitch about things behind your back more than men. Why do men seem to overtake and dominate a conversation. Things like sexuality and how gay men speak differently and social class variation too.

Not just that but also the history of the English language, where did it gone from, the influence of Latin and the bible, and how technology is ruining the eng language. Also look at how words come into existiance and meaning like bootylicious, twerk tweet, and etc!

All interesting stuff! Wish I had taken a diff Lang module at uni instead of grammar. Grammar is just horrible!

Quick Reply

Latest