The Student Room Group

290 million spent since 2013..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Wavefunction
If PSG or Man City have the money why not spend it?

That statement completely contradicts everything you said in your OP
Original post by sr90
That statement completely contradicts everything you said in your OP

Not really. Manchester United can spend as they wish, PSG and City cannot. That is not fair. Either have everyone spending what they want, or make it "fair."
As it has been said, FFP was introduced to maintain Europes hierarchy. There's nothing "Fair" about it.
If PSG or Man City have the money why not spend it?

Because if they spent it on wages and the owner leaves the club collapses
(edited 8 years ago)
Not really. Manchester United can spend as they wish, PSG and City cannot. That is not fair. Either have everyone spending what they want, or make it "fair."

Man Utd can spend what they wish because they invested in revenue streams.

Why would it be fair if a conference team chairman suddenly won the lottery and that team consequently got promoted?
Original post by billydisco
Man Utd can spend what they wish because they invested in revenue streams.

Why would it be fair if a conference team chairman suddenly won the lottery and that team consequently got promoted?

So teams are just meant to stay where they are an accept it? Without spending teams will be very unlikely to get to the premier league and champions league. Without that the club cannot grow in order to increase revenue in order to spend more. Teams will stagnate and football will die.
The premier league used to be exciting. Now I could probably tell you the top 6 before we've even kicked a ball.
So teams are just meant to stay where they are an accept it? Without spending teams will be very unlikely to get to the premier league and champions league. Without that the club cannot grow in order to increase revenue in order to spend more. Teams will stagnate and football will die.
The premier league used to be exciting. Now I could probably tell you the top 6 before we've even kicked a ball.

Teams do not have to spend to generate revenue streams.....

Did it cost teams money to put a sponsor on their shirt? No. Did it generate a revenue stream? Yes.
Teams do not have to spend to generate revenue streams.....

Did it cost teams money to put a sponsor on their shirt? No. Did it generate a revenue stream? Yes.

No but they need to improve. Finishing 14th in the premier league for the 4th year in a row won't sell many shirts in Asia or get those big kit deals.
No but they need to improve. Finishing 14th in the premier league for the 4th year in a row won't sell many shirts in Asia or get those big kit deals.

You think teams in Asia know what league positions the EPL finish in?

You could buy a crap player who is the best in the Indian national team and instantly gain access to 1 billion fans. You are thinking football, not business.
You think teams in Asia know what league positions the EPL finish in?

You could buy a crap player who is the best in the Indian national team and instantly gain access to 1 billion fans. You are thinking football, not business.

Manchester United, Chelsea etc are huge in Asia, I'm sure those supporters will know where they finish.
I don't even know if you're being serious regarding that second point?

We could get relegated tomorrow and we'd still dominate the Asian market. Same goes for Arsenal and Liverpool.
Original post by sr90
We could get relegated tomorrow and we'd still dominate the Asian market. Same goes for Arsenal and Liverpool.

Well yes, you probably would. But if you stayed there for a couple of seasons you'd quickly become a memory across the continent. Although this is all hypothetical as you'll be in the top 4/5 for the future alongside Chelsea, Arsenal, Citeh and Liverpool/Spurs.
Manchester United, Chelsea etc are huge in Asia, I'm sure those supporters will know where they finish.

They will support the teams they know about and thats not necessarily the team who does better in the EPL.

Man Utd bought Kagawa to appeal to Asian fans.
I don't like the top 6 being a closed shop but at least there's more competition at the top than most European leagues. The season doesn't start for a month yet we all know that PSG will win Ligue One, that Bayern will win the Bundesliga, that Juventus will win Serie A, that Barca or Real Madrid will win La Liga etc. At least here you can make a case for 4 teams winning the league and about a dozen teams getting relegated, it's a more open competition.

Incidentally do people prefer how things are now, or how it was 10-20 years ago with Manchester United winning everything and the occasional interference by Arsenal or Chelsea? Or even going back to the 80s with Liverpool and Everton sweeping all before them?
Original post by sr90
I don't like the top 6 being a closed shop but at least there's more competition at the top than most European leagues. The season doesn't start for a month yet we all know that PSG will win Ligue One, that Bayern will win the Bundesliga, that Juventus will win Serie A, that Barca or Real Madrid will win La Liga etc. At least here you can make a case for 4 teams winning the league and about a dozen teams getting relegated, it's a more open competition.

Incidentally do people prefer how things are now, or how it was 10-20 years ago with Manchester United winning everything and the occasional interference by Arsenal or Chelsea? Or even going back to the 80s with Liverpool and Everton sweeping all before them?

It's all very good for you, but for people supporting football teams and not franchises it kind of sucks. At least in years gone by teams had a chance. Newcastle, Blackburn, Villa, Leeds could compete with the big boys. The league was exciting.
Original post by sr90

Surely not. How could another team dominate the EPL if Liverpool dominated it first? According to the OP's logic once a team dominates- thats it! :rolleyes:
They will support the teams they know about and thats not necessarily the team who does better in the EPL.

Man Utd bought Kagawa to appeal to Asian fans.

So nothing to do with him winning he Bundesliga player of the year?
It's all very good for you, but for people supporting football teams and not franchises it kind of sucks. At least in years gone by teams had a chance. Newcastle, Blackburn, Villa, Leeds could compete with the big boys. The league was exciting.

When Newcastle were competing, Chelsea and Tottenham were in low positions.

My point? Teams come and go......

Even though most of them only did so by throwing money around, exactly the sort of thing you're criticizing other clubs for doing?

Blackburn bought the league, Newcastle nearly did and Leeds nearly went bust trying to.
When Newcastle were competing, Chelsea and Tottenham were in low positions.

My point? Teams come and go......

Teams have come and gone, yes. But my point is that they way things are coming teams won't come and go, they'lol stay where they are give or a take.

It's deadly serious.

A couple of years ago a match between Everton and Bolton became one of the most watched football games of all time, simply because both teams fielded Asian (Chinese, iirc?) players. For one insignificant game there were over 250million viewers.

Quick Reply

Latest