The Student Room Group

Getting into clearing

Hi all,
Just wanted to know the process about being "released" by my firm & insurance to get into clearing.
I'm looking to change course, would I need to get in contact with both my firm & insurance, and are there any set words I need to use/avoid? (For example, released)

Thanks.
@PQ
One for you here, as I can never remember the difference!
Original post by bishopdon123
Hi all,
Just wanted to know the process about being "released" by my firm & insurance to get into clearing.
I'm looking to change course, would I need to get in contact with both my firm & insurance, and are there any set words I need to use/avoid? (For example, released)

Thanks.

Don't ask for a release- unless you're UF they can't do that so you might get told no.

You need to contact both probably- but start with your firm and just say "I have changed my mind about which subject and want to go into Clearing ". They might be willing to arrange that all for you (they could make your offer UF then release you but some universities won't do that as it is bending UCAS rules a bit) or they might reject you (which passes you to your insurance so you have to ring them to ask the same thing).

Just focus on "want to be in clearing " and let them advise you on whether they can sort it entirely or whether you also need to contact your insurance.
Original post by PQ
Don't ask for a release- unless you're UF they can't do that so you might get told no.

You need to contact both probably- but start with your firm and just say "I have changed my mind about which subject and want to go into Clearing ". They might be willing to arrange that all for you (they could make your offer UF then release you but some universities won't do that as it is bending UCAS rules a bit) or they might reject you (which passes you to your insurance so you have to ring them to ask the same thing).

Just focus on "want to be in clearing " and let them advise you on whether they can sort it entirely or whether you also need to contact your insurance.

Ta!:smile:
Original post by PQ

Thank you for your help!
I'll get onto this ASAP.
Reply 5
Would i be required to take an LNAT if i applied through clearing or adjustment?
Original post by PQ

Hi, my firm has replied and said they can't do this up until receiving my results?
Hi, my firm has replied and said they can't do this up until receiving my results?

That's fine...just ask that they make the changes as soon as possible and explain that you'd rather not waste their time on results day sorting this out if they can take your consent in advance.

If all your unis are aware you want to be in Clearing at 8am on Thurs 13th then that should be possible and you'll be able to spend results day sorting out a place in Clearing and not on the phone to your unis sorting out getting out of your place there.
Original post by PQ
That's fine...just ask that they make the changes as soon as possible and explain that you'd rather not waste their time on results day sorting this out if they can take your consent in advance.

If all your unis are aware you want to be in Clearing at 8am on Thurs 13th then that should be possible and you'll be able to spend results day sorting out a place in Clearing and not on the phone to your unis sorting out getting out of your place there.

Thank you for your help, let's hope they can agree to this.
Thank you for your help, let's hope they can agree to this.

I'm sure they're as keen to not have you on the phone lines on Thursday as you are:smile:

Good luck
Original post by PQ
I'm sure they're as keen to not have you on the phone lines on Thursday as you are:smile:

Good luck

They've responded and said they can only consider me for release once my offer is unconditional (currently conditional) so that's basically on results day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending