The Student Room Group

OASC lists (worth a look)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Raptor
Do these tests include the one with multi coloured Red Arrows that would enter from strange angles and do all sorts of stuff with follow up questions such as "Which colour entered from the top left?" etc...

That's the one. Horrendous, isn't it!!
Reply 181
Fortunately they didn't count when I did them so most of theu guys stopped trying after the effort involved became apparent.

As far as I'm aware I've never encountered multi-coloured jets trying to buzz me during a trip, and nor have I ever been questioned on debrief as to who did buzz me and from what angle did they enter my view.

This will be the brain child of an Admin Trainer.............
Reply 182
InaSpin
Its the way the cookie crumbles. If you are a systems manager aptitude wise you'll get in. I'm just too coordinated for the pilots the want nowadays..... and probably not next year. I'm 22.5 now. I'll be 23.5 this time next year. I could give it ago but my score has dropped from over 108 to under 88.

IAS very sorry to hear that, youre in the very same situation as me.

I have completed the various aptitude tests on each of my attendances at OASC dating back over 10 years for my flying schol. I was sitting on 135 for pilot and dropped down to 105, pass is 112. Having had some time to mull it over and make some phone calls, Ive made the following discoveries:
I assume you will have done some or all of the "older" tests twice now, flying schol/bursary maybe, they all count? If this is the case, you will of course not be allowed to resit those individual ones again. The new 5 tests, the red arrows/coloured spitfires etc are new introductions whereas the instrument interpretation batteries have been re drawn (anyone who has done them in the past will remember the ropey line drawn aircraft) and therfore you are allowed another 2 cracks, even if you have sat them in their older incarnation.

The problem is, it was always the case that they took your best score in each test so you could therefore not drop points. This has changed. It is now your last attempt. Add to this the fact that OASC are now applying different weighting to other tests in light of Typhoon (it is now not so much about hands and feet - think of that what you will). All in all, the way in which your overall score is drawn from the individual tests is much more complicated and the focus as moved.

For me, my weakest scores were in the maths based tests which now carry a lot more weight to make up your overall score than they used to. So, in my case, I can only resit the "new 5" once more and rely on doing much better in these (which incidently werent the problem) to try and drag up my old weaker [mostly] maths type scores.

A ground commission for me isnt an option as Im already employed in a flying job and do not wish to leave that. Perhaps you would be happy with joining up in a ground branch, but sadly only you can say.
For me, I owe it to myself to try again (last crack) in a years time, but its going to be a tall order; trying to drag up older non re-sitable scores with reasonable newer scores.
If you want any more info on this please drop me a PM, just about sussed it out, I know exactly how you feel.

Rgds

Ninj

edited for clarity
The trace test killed me. Somehow removed all my points despite everything else going up score wise. That was the one where you had to steer the spitfire with the arrows. Thought it went ok but obviously the score is weighted heavily on that as I was told hand eye coordination wasn't important anymore and sadly that was my best and was well off the scale! Oh well. I have a few other options. I am consider the AAC as you only need a score of 80 for that.

I kind of get what you are saying Ninj, my scores are now awful. As a 17/18 year old, I hadn't done maths since GCSE and SDT was with a calculator so I guessed which dragged my score down. If I could resit the whole lot I'd be onto a winner as the maths in the new one wasn't weighted enough to bring up my score. Not sure what to do - the guy wouldn't even accept me on the basis I now have a horrendous score even though I had done EFT and have been recommended all roles. I guess things happen for a reason eh? I'll be 23.5 next year - is it worth it or will I just suffer disappointment again having put in so much effort and time preparing myself?

Are you saying I can resit more than 5? The ones that have been re-drawn I now think do not weigh heavily enough. If only I hadn't been so rubbish at maths as a young'un.....
Reply 184
InaSpin
I am consider the AAC as you only need a score of 80 for that.

What is the RAF min score?
Reply 186
Yep IAS, youre not alone. There are many of us who have hit the same problem, several bursars/post EFT on a UAS - it makes no sense.

How many times have you been through OASC? If you have sat all but the new 5 tests twice then you are in the same boat as me. You can only attempt each test twice so that would mean you could only do the new 5 once more (assuming they dont change the tests). If however you have only sat them once, then again last week, on your next appearance, you will be able to sit everything again giving you twice for the old, twice for the new.

Hope this makes sense but Im, although a bit older, in an identical situation - my maths was from a calculator generation. The only saving grace, you can improve on basic numeracy fairly easily which could well be enough to haul up your other scores, plus you have at least another crack at trace etc. Dont forget, there is every possiblity the weighting/testing will change again in the next year. Also on the positive, your stick and rudder type tests were fine - the only ones you really can change are the DST/numeracy ones, the rest really are a case of you can either do it or you cant (to me the definition of aptitude) worth another go?

Rgds

Ninj
Reply 187
This is awful reading your comments. Obviously everyone knows how gutted they'd be if they dont get through, but your posts have really made it hit home for me.

I am a great believer in everything happens for a reason, and so maybe something about the timing isnt right.

I just realised I really have to be prepared that my ambitions may not be fulfilled.

Hope you can both quickly overcome this and things will work out whatever you decide to do.
Reply 188
I'm gutted for you guys, I know how much time you spent on here and how dedicated you were. On a positive note, from reading your posts, my guess would be that no matter what you do end up doing, you are going to do very well.
It's just gutting that I spent hours preparing - for nothing. Oh well! Light at the end of the tunnel :smile:
Reply 190
shame to here you went home after the first day.... still trying to work out how you were as only two girls went on the first day after the aptitude?? i recently attended 23rd oct oasc and there was only me and another lad "tom" going for pilot. i did search for an "inaspin" but no one owned up to being him... slightly confused but hey, for all you budding pilots out there that want to go through oasc, hand eye co'ord is a very important test, or so my boarding officer told me, not to say these guys dont know what they're talking about, they certainly helped me with my revision.

a post on my time at oasc will follow shortly in true tradition.
Reply 191
mattraf
shame to here you went home after the first day.... still trying to work out how you were as only two girls went on the first day after the aptitude?? i recently attended 23rd oct oasc and there was only me and another lad "tom" going for pilot. i did search for an "inaspin" but no one owned up to being him... slightly confused but hey, for all you budding pilots out there that want to go through oasc, hand eye co'ord is a very important test, or so my boarding officer told me, not to say these guys dont know what they're talking about, they certainly helped me with my revision.

a post on my time at oasc will follow shortly in true tradition.

Do you know InaSpin is in fact not a man?
And hand eye coordination aint top of the list so I was told......!! Cos mines off the frickin' scale!

Matt RAF has me on MSN but I have a picture which doesn't show what I look like face wise haha and my name could be for a bird or bloke :smile:
Reply 193
InaSpin
And hand eye coordination aint top of the list so I was told......!! Cos mines off the frickin' scale!

Matt RAF has me on MSN but I have a picture which doesn't show what I look like face wise haha and my name could be for a bird or bloke :smile:

Have you been tricking me all this time?! :eek:
Nope. Matt RAF finally figured that I was *that* blonde chick haha!
Reply 195
yea yea, well how was i sposed to know :s-smilie:.

defo think its worth another bash though, you'll still be within the limit next year, i know i would
Reply 196
October 30th - George75
November 6th - Jay-P, Andy118
November 11th - StormShadow
December 2nd - georgieH, Sheefa, Paul.ne63

Big chunk without anyone in Nov, anyone going then?
Reply 197
Can I still play?:biggrin:

October 30th - George75
November 6th - Jay-P, Andy118
November 11th - StormShadow
(November 25th - Theo1977 (Part B) )
December 2nd - georgieH, Sheefa, Paul.ne63
LOL Can I still play too? *NO*

:frown:
Reply 199
Starting to panic slighty now as I have my OASC in a week and the more I revise the less I seem to remember! Not good.

Quick Reply

Latest