The Student Room Group

Are teacher references ever negative?

We're not allowed to see our references at school, and quite a few of my teachers think I'm too quiet (although I disagree with this- just because I don't engage in chat with them doesn't mean I'm not interested in the subject). Would they include this in my reference? My tutor is writing the overall reference but integrating the individual comments from my subject teachers. What sort of stuff goes in the reference and is it ever a limiting factor for application to study medicine?
If they dont know anythig about you because you don't talk their references will be positive, but may not make you shine. They will only be negative if you are a complete dick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Moonstruck16
If they dont know anythig about you because you don't talk their references will be positive, but may not make you shine. They will only be negative if you are a complete dick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I wish they'd let us see them though :frown:
Original post by Lularose83

I know :frown: But I've heard stories of bratty students getting their parents involved when they have a bad reference written about them so you can sympathise with the teachers.
I've always been told that people aren't allowed to give you a negative reference and that they can refuse if it would be negative.

Obviously they can't lie but if you're quiet they could phrase that in a positive way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
After we submit our application are they allowed to show us the reference?
Reply 6
A girl who I went to school with received a bad reference. Initially, the teacher made it a good reference however my year head wasn't happy because she didn't live up to it. So, told the teacher to change it.

As long as you're well behaved in all your classes, include some input to class discussions, have good attendance, been friendly and not involved in anything serious at school eg drama. You will receive an good reference.
Yeah, someone at my school, I heard, had a really bad reference from our head of Key stage...
The teachers will just want to help you the best they can and write the best reference they can. The only exception is if they genuinely feel there is a cause for concern and they don't think you will be up the course. So basically they're not comfortable with straight-up lying but are extremely unlikely to mention petty issues like being a bit quiet
Teachers at my school are explicitly told not to give a bad reference. Instead, they just focus on what you're good at and let the admissions tutors read between the lines. In your case, for example, your teachers probably wouldn't write anything about your contributions to the class. That way they're not lying and the admissions tutor might be able to figure out that since it's not written about, you don't make lots of contributions to the class.

I really wouldn't worry about it though, they won't paint you in a bad light unless you're a particularly awful student. However, if I were you I would take those comments on board and try to contribute more to the class next year. At university you'll be in smaller groups (especially if you're going to a uni which practices the PBL learning style) so you won't be able to get away with not joining in discussion. Ability to communicate is key to studying medicine and is something admissions tutors look for (as I'm sure you know) so take from that what you will.
Original post by mollyxrose
Teachers at my school are explicitly told not to give a bad reference. Instead, they just focus on what you're good at and let the admissions tutors read between the lines. In your case, for example, your teachers probably wouldn't write anything about your contributions to the class. That way they're not lying and the admissions tutor might be able to figure out that since it's not written about, you don't make lots of contributions to the class.

I really wouldn't worry about it though, they won't paint you in a bad light unless you're a particularly awful student. However, if I were you I would take those comments on board and try to contribute more to the class next year. At university you'll be in smaller groups (especially if you're going to a uni which practices the PBL learning style) so you won't be able to get away with not joining in discussion. Ability to communicate is key to studying medicine and is something admissions tutors look for (as I'm sure you know) so take from that what you will.

Thank you so much for the advice, I'm gradually talking more so hopefully things will turn out okay :smile:
Original post by Lularose83

If it's not the school policy to show them, you can pay Ucas a fee (it used to be £10, not sure what it is now) to see it.

It is the policy of all the schools I know to write the positive and leave out the negative. Of course, admissions tutors are adept at reading between the lines about what is missing, and there are some key phrases that are a giveaway. I was always fond of 'At his/her best, X is able to...' It is not true that teachers are obliged to only write good references. As in the wider world, their obligation is to write accurate and truthful references, but as I said, all the schools I have had dealings with in my career have adopted the approach of being positive wherever possible, and leaving stuff out rather than putting bad things in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending