The Student Room Group

£35,500 vs finish A levels

I am in a dilemma over doing an apprenticeship with Airbus or finishing my A levels. I've already been offered an interview by another company in the same industry but I'm away then and they couldn't reschedule (asking them to transfer application to next year). If it were possible that I could do both so I keep options open I would but I don't know if my 6th form would allow it

What yawl think I should do?
Reply 1
Obvs the apprenticeship
Reply 2
Depends on what degree you'd be doing and at which Uni
Original post by zigglr

A Levels doesn't necessarily lead to university.
Reply 4
Original post by prophetkid
A Levels doesn't necessarily lead to university.

Exactly so I need to know what, if any, Uni and degree he would likely be doing after A levels. If none then the apprenticeship might be better
Apprenticeship, if you're sure it's what you want.

You're going to be doing something which isn't transferable to x amount of industries and going to Airbus means you're going to the very top of civilian aviation - which is a fantastic opportunity, as long as you know it's what you want.

Chat to current apprentices if you can and ask for a detailed low-down on what it is you will be doing in Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4 and then what levels there are for further progression after completing the apprenticeship.

Good luck and congrats on that offer. That's an exceptional amount to be earning in one year (or is that figure spread over a few years?). Nonetheless, congrats.
Original post by zigglr

My uncle did an apprenticeship with them and they sponsored his degree
Reply 7
Original post by TheInfiltrator
My uncle did an apprenticeship with them and they sponsored his degree

But what degree / Uni can you get on without any a levels

I'm asking this because certain degrees are and aren't worth going to Uni for in terms of getting a salary over £35,500, and the Uni is important for this in some cases as well
Original post by Mumbaiking
Apprenticeship, if you're sure it's what you want.

You're going to be doing something which isn't transferable to x amount of industries and going to Airbus means you're going to the very top of civilian aviation - which is a fantastic opportunity, as long as you know it's what you want.

Chat to current apprentices if you can and ask for a detailed low-down on what it is you will be doing in Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4 and then what levels there are for further progression after completing the apprenticeship.

Good luck and congrats on that offer. That's an exceptional amount to be earning in one year (or is that figure spread over a few years?). Nonetheless, congrats.

Lol I wish it was per year hehe. The other offer was for Cobham which is another company in Stevenage. I've emailed Airbus and asked if I could do any work experience with them, that would certainly improve my chances. Also, I can speak German so that might be good since they also have operations in Germany
Well provided that the apprenticeship is accredited and you have prospects to move up the pecking order, then take the apprenticeship, its a non brainer. You should probably ask Airbus some advice and I imagine they would recommend you finish the A levels. You may as well just finish it and ask them if they can hold the place open for you
Original post by marco14196
Well provided that the apprenticeship is accredited and you have prospects to move up the pecking order, then take the apprenticeship, its a non brainer. You should probably ask Airbus some advice and I imagine they would recommend you finish the A levels. You may as well just finish it and ask them if they can hold the place open for you

Certainly that would be ideal but I doubt they'd give you the job then keep it open for you for a year :s-smilie:
Certainly that would be ideal but I doubt they'd give you the job then keep it open for you for a year :s-smilie:

That's a gamble he'll have to take I guess. If this was a "Airbus Apprenticeship vs University", it would be much easier to say pick the apprenticeship because they'll sponsor your degree anyway. We need more of that in this economy. Apprenticeships and apprenticeships that sponsor people to do degrees. Maybe the university system wouldn't be such an overcrowded, useless mess as it is today. If you get a sponsorship, you're sniffing pure gold dust.
Original post by marco14196
That's a gamble he'll have to take I guess. If this was a "Airbus Apprenticeship vs University", it would be much easier to say pick the apprenticeship because they'll sponsor your degree anyway. We need more of that in this economy. Apprenticeships and apprenticeships that sponsor people to do degrees. Maybe the university system wouldn't be such an overcrowded, useless mess as it is today. If you get a sponsorship, you're sniffing pure gold dust.

That's what my uncle did so I think I'll pick the Geld
I am in a dilemma over doing an apprenticeship with Airbus or finishing my A levels. I've already been offered an interview by another company in the same industry but I'm away then and they couldn't reschedule (asking them to transfer application to next year). If it were possible that I could do both so I keep options open I would but I don't know if my 6th form would allow it

What yawl think I should do?

I think you should go with the Airbus apprenticeship and finish your AS at least and then potentially come back to your A2 as you can get tutors etc outside of school for a fee. What exactly does your apprenticeship involve?
Original post by iodo345
I think you should go with the Airbus apprenticeship and finish your AS at least and then potentially come back to your A2 as you can get tutors etc outside of school for a fee. What exactly does your apprenticeship involve?

Applications open in December I think. It would be an engineering apprenticeship I'd apply for. It says 'computer aided design, manufacturing and mechanical and electrical engineering'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending