The Student Room Group

Is 5 AS Levels plus a job too much?

I'm currently working and planning to take Maths, Further maths, history, chemistry and physics at AS level. A lot of people have told me doing those 5 subjects plus a job will be too much and I'm not sure if it will be or not? Has anyone done 5 AS and had job at the same time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just finished 5 AS-levels (Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, Computing) and it would certainly have been too much if I had a job at the same time.
I'm doing the exact same but with biology instead of history. It's going to be hard, but I'm sure it'll be manageable.
Reply 3
Original post by vaishalir
I'm currently working and planning to take Maths, Further maths, history, chemistry and physics at AS level. A lot of people have told me doing those 5 subjects plus a job will be too much and I'm not sure if it will be or not? Has anyone done 5 AS and had job at the same time?

I started my AS year studying Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and spanish and I had a small weekend job and I definitely felt it was too much. I knew I wouldn't be able to give the time commitment to spanish (which was my 5th subject) that I needed to to do well so I dropped spanish after about a month, and you're much better doing very well in four than dragging your grades down by stretching yourself too thinly.

If your sixth form offers EPQ in your second year, I'd recommend that and then you can spend time on a subject you're interested in, but not necessarily do a full AS-level. I'm now at Oxford studying engineering (and I did 4 full A-levels and an EPQ) so I'm alright at time management - but I still found it too much. You could always try it for a couple of weeks and drop it, if your sixth form will let you do that.
Reply 4
Original post by chloeap
I started my AS year studying Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and spanish and I had a small weekend job and I definitely felt it was too much. I knew I wouldn't be able to give the time commitment to spanish (which was my 5th subject) that I needed to to do well so I dropped spanish after about a month, and you're much better doing very well in four than dragging your grades down by stretching yourself too thinly.

If your sixth form offers EPQ in your second year, I'd recommend that and then you can spend time on a subject you're interested in, but not necessarily do a full AS-level. I'm now at Oxford studying engineering (and I did 4 full A-levels and an EPQ) so I'm alright at time management - but I still found it too much. You could always try it for a couple of weeks and drop it, if your sixth form will let you do that.

The only thing is I'm not sure if it's worth me doing the extra AS and A level (FM). I planned on taking it purely because of my passion for maths and I only just found out it doesn't really give you that much of an advantage as universities look at 3 A-levels only. It does kind of put me off because I don't want my grades to suffer if it doesn't really help that much, but then again I have such a strong passion for maths I kind of wanna do it to prove to myself as well that I can! I'm just worried about the constraints it would put on my social life too. I know I'll have to sacrifice time but will there still be time for me to enjoy myself?
Reply 5
If you're a committed and motivated person (and you did well at GCSE maths) I'd definitely suggest doing 4 AS-levels (and it is possible to carry 4 on to A2-level). Some people manage 5 but it is very tricky and as you say, universities generally only look at 4.

What are you thinking of doing after university? Personally, if you are interested in maths then further maths is a good thing to do - maybe you could do a history topic as an EPQ rather than an AS-level. If you're thinking of following a science route at university further maths can be useful (although isn't essential by any means).
I did 3 A2 levels and had part time job and I coped- just. With 5 AS levels you really need time just to sit down and get a break from it all- you won't get that if you have a job (dependent on what the job is!) and you will need it. If it's 6 hours or less I'd say give it a go but otherwise I think it will be too much.

I managed 5 (history, maths, french, eng lang and bio), plus Gold DofE (including volunteering) and a part time job, and I managed it. But I'm a really motivated person and would do 8+ hours of homework on a sunday if necessary because I was busy in the week. Only do it if you like the subjects, and have enough determination
Reply 8
Original post by chloeap
If you're a committed and motivated person (and you did well at GCSE maths) I'd definitely suggest doing 4 AS-levels (and it is possible to carry 4 on to A2-level). Some people manage 5 but it is very tricky and as you say, universities generally only look at 4.

What are you thinking of doing after university? Personally, if you are interested in maths then further maths is a good thing to do - maybe you could do a history topic as an EPQ rather than an AS-level. If you're thinking of following a science route at university further maths can be useful (although isn't essential by any means).

Something involving maths and science, so possibly engineering or something along those lines. I will check if my school offers EPQ but I don't think they do, and history is also a subject I'm really passionate about; it's the only written subject I genuinely enjoy so I thought it would be a good idea to pick it since I enjoy it as well as it showing a variety of skills
Reply 9
Something involving maths and science, so possibly engineering or something along those lines. I will check if my school offers EPQ but I don't think they do, and history is also a subject I'm really passionate about; it's the only written subject I genuinely enjoy so I thought it would be a good idea to pick it since I enjoy it as well as it showing a variety of skills

It is good to have a wide range of subjects - and the way you learn history is very different, so it could be quite refreshing (I picked up spanish again for this reason at uni).
You could maybe start with 5 and see how you find it? If you're thinking engineering, I've definitely found FM to be very, very useful for engineering at oxford (even if you only did it to AS).
I'm going to do 5 subjects in my AS year: maths (A2), FM, bio, chem and physics but it works out quite well as I'll only do 4 in my A2 year as I did AS maths early :smile: I don't plan on getting a job though until I have to (i.e. uni) because I don't think that I could manage it, but that's just me personally!
Many schools are stopping people doing 5 because of the new linear exams in many subjects - not maths I know - but the workload will be too much.

You do not need 5 and it gives you NO advantage ... remember the new AS levels do not count towards A levels.

Just do 4 AS levels and keep a job. That's what I did and I was just fine. I only worked one day a week though
It's possible but you'll have very little, if any, spare time. If you want a social/romantic life, just do 4 and then drop one next year. Unis prefer 4 GREAT a/as levels to 5 GOOD ones. :smile:
I did that this year and I was fine. It's good because on the weekend you still get to do something else other than mental work so you do relax your mind a little. Plus with the money you earn you can buy whatever you want and reward yourself for your work so it seems more worth while.
Also if you find its too much for you just ask to decrease your hours. If you were to work a normal 7-8 hour shift on just a Saturday you'd still get around £40 a week.
Reply 15

Don't do it, you'll crack. Seriously 5 AS levels is highly impressive, especially those subjects, the job will be too much, prioritize your education then go back to the job in summer ect.
nope I managed altho took a bit of time to get used to it. :smile: if u want to keep ur job ur social life will probably suffer unless ur grades do :wink:
Reply 17
I think you should go for it.
Reply 18
Original post by chloeap
It is good to have a wide range of subjects - and the way you learn history is very different, so it could be quite refreshing (I picked up spanish again for this reason at uni).
You could maybe start with 5 and see how you find it? If you're thinking engineering, I've definitely found FM to be very, very useful for engineering at oxford (even if you only did it to AS).

Yeah that's what I reckon I'll do, it would be great to have 5 but I do want a social life as well otherwise I think I'll go crazy! Thanks for the help, I'll see how it goes :smile:
Reply 19
Yeah that's what I reckon I'll do, it would be great to have 5 but I do want a social life as well otherwise I think I'll go crazy! Thanks for the help, I'll see how it goes :smile:

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest