The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography - BSc (Hons)

I was wondering if doing a degree in Radiography through the British Army at Birmingham City University (BCU) was any good?
Also, would it be good if an individual carried onto do Masters or even PhD in Radiography?
Original post by morningstar49
I was wondering if doing a degree in Radiography through the British Army at Birmingham City University (BCU) was any good?
Also, would it be good if an individual carried onto do Masters or even PhD in Radiography?

Well, if you want to be a radiographer in the British army it's a great course. If you want to be a chemical engineer at Milford Haven it's not a very good course

There is probably scope for you to undertake further courses post registration, you might even be able to get the army to pay for them, but they'll expect a return of service for them.
Original post by moonkatt
Well, if you want to be a radiographer in the British army it's a great course. If you want to be a chemical engineer at Milford Haven it's not a very good course

There is probably scope for you to undertake further courses post registration, you might even be able to get the army to pay for them, but they'll expect a return of service for them.

Alright, thank you soo much, you're the only person who replied! Luckily, I've never wanted to be a Chemical Engineer! :smile:
Alright, thank you soo much, you're the only person who replied! Luckily, I've never wanted to be a Chemical Engineer! :smile:

It was meant in part as a joke :tongue:

There's another thread about someone who wants to join the army as a radiographer. Have you looked on the army jobs website at what qualifications you'll need to apply?

@ArmyJobs should be able to help you with this, hopefully they'll see your post :smile:

Hi, ArmyJobs here,

The Course at Birmingham City University is great! Join in on the conversation about the role of a Radiographer here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3473797

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
ArmyJobs
Original post by ArmyJobs
Hi, ArmyJobs here,

The Course at Birmingham City University is great! Join in on the conversation about the role of a Radiographer here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3473797

Regards
ArmyJobs

Thanks Army Jobs! We think you're pretty great too! =p

Ally, The BCU Team
Original post by ArmyJobs
Hi, ArmyJobs here,

Regards
ArmyJobs

Thank you soo much! Will it be possible to do this course at a different university through the Army though?
Thank you soo much! Will it be possible to do this course at a different university through the Army though?

No. BCU is their provider of choice, so you'd have to go there.
Original post by moonkatt
It was meant in part as a joke :tongue:

There's another thread about someone who wants to join the army as a radiographer. Have you looked on the army jobs website at what qualifications you'll need to apply?

@ArmyJobs should be able to help you with this, hopefully they'll see your post :smile:

Lool oops my bad ahaha :smile:

Oo really? Who's that ehh? Yeeep I have indeed, they want me to have 300 UCAS points which I don't have till now. I've just finished my first year of BTEC Level 3 Applied Science and I've got my results too. I've got D* D* but I've still got another year for the whole course to be complete.

Thank you soo much :smile:
Hello, I don't mean to hijack the thread however I also have a few questions regarding radiography.

I saw an job ad for student Radiographer in the royal navy and it got me interested as the pay and benefits seem to out way the nhs.

I'm a mature student 28 years old. I've done quite a bit of shadowing already in different hospitals in the UK in the Radiology departments and I volunteer for St John's ambulance.

I know a lot about the role already and I'm quite keen to start.

I'm currently due to start an access course into science this coming September followed by a Degree in Radiography next year.
I've spoken to various University's and they have told me to study Biology and physics as my core subjects and told me how many marks I would require to gain a spot on their course.

I did ask Birmingham University and they also take an access course as an entry level.

Do the Armed forces accept Access courses as a form of entry into their University courses, as they only state 300 ucas points.
Original post by JimmyBones
Hello, I don't mean to hijack the thread however I also have a few questions regarding radiography.

I saw an job ad for student Radiographer in the royal navy and it got me interested as the pay and benefits seem to out way the nhs.

I'm a mature student 28 years old. I've done quite a bit of shadowing already in different hospitals in the UK in the Radiology departments and I volunteer for St John's ambulance.

I know a lot about the role already and I'm quite keen to start.

I'm currently due to start an access course into science this coming September followed by a Degree in Radiography next year.
I've spoken to various University's and they have told me to study Biology and physics as my core subjects and told me how many marks I would require to gain a spot on their course.

I did ask Birmingham University and they also take an access course as an entry level.

Do the Armed forces accept Access courses as a form of entry into their University courses, as they only state 300 ucas points.

I'm not too sure about that so it's better if you could either ring them up and ask them or book an appointment with the careers team for the Armed Forces or something!

Quick Reply

Latest