The Student Room Group

Elective in the Trauma Department at Charlotte Maxeke (Johannesburg General)?

Hi!

I've recently been given a place on a 5 week elective next summer in the trauma department at Charlotte Maxeke Hospital (apparently also known as Joburg General). I'm really interested in trauma/emergency medicine and was over the moon to be accepted, and I've read a lot of reviews saying the opportunity for getting involved is second to none.

The only thing that's giving me second thoughts is the safety aspect of living and working in Johannesburg!
I've never been to South Africa, and I would most likely be going alone for the purpose of the elective. Many of the online reviews by other medical students who have been (most of them are from 2009 and before) say that it was dangerous but as long as you take precautions it was fine. Several friends and family members have warned me against it.
It has been suggested that you either stay in the University of Wits accommodation (some of the student reviews suggested this was unsafe), or stay in private accommodation from a list provided in acceptance email and hire a car to travel to and from the hospital.

Has anyone been on this elective or done something similar? Would you recommend it and do you have any tips or advice?

I'd also quite like to travel around a bit after the elective (probably Cape Town, Garden Route etc.) - again, am I crazy to be considering this as a lone female?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by 05bickea
Hi!

I've recently been given a place on a 5 week elective next summer in the trauma department at Charlotte Maxeke Hospital (apparently also known as Joburg General). I'm really interested in trauma/emergency medicine and was over the moon to be accepted, and I've read a lot of reviews saying the opportunity for getting involved is second to none.

The only thing that's giving me second thoughts is the safety aspect of living and working in Johannesburg!
I've never been to South Africa, and I would most likely be going alone for the purpose of the elective. Many of the online reviews by other medical students who have been (most of them are from 2009 and before) say that it was dangerous but as long as you take precautions it was fine. Several friends and family members have warned me against it.
It has been suggested that you either stay in the University of Wits accommodation (some of the student reviews suggested this was unsafe), or stay in private accommodation from a list provided in acceptance email and hire a car to travel to and from the hospital.

Has anyone been on this elective or done something similar? Would you recommend it and do you have any tips or advice?

I'd also quite like to travel around a bit after the elective (probably Cape Town, Garden Route etc.) - again, am I crazy to be considering this as a lone female?

Thanks!

I did exactly this (plastics rather than trauma). Stayed on campus @ Wits, which was absolutely fine. It can definitely be dangerous, you just need to be sensible and remember you are in Africa. The surgery is amazing and the people are lovely. Highly recommend it.
I haven't been specifically to Johannesburg but on the whole you will be safe if you trust in the locals. Take heed of advice about where to stay (e.g. if they've suggested Uni accommodation then do so), and when there gauge from locals where is good to go, where is best to go as a group, and where is best to avoid entirely. They'll know best!

Like any major city it has affluent areas and areas of high crime. The best people to alert to to which places fall into which category are the people who live there day in, day out.

On the whole I'd be surprised if the University accommodation was in a particularly dangerous suburb.
Yeah, to be fair, it's really only Joburg that has that reputation - a lot of Cape Town, Pretoria is fine. I mean the reason Joburg seems dangerous is the primary reason why the trauma/emergency electives there are second to none right? So you can't really pick and choose all these knife/gunshot wounds without the added danger.

But honestly, I know people who've done their electives in Joburg and as long as you have your wits, and are cautious, as well as not doing anything outlandishly silly, you'll have a great time for sure.
Hey 05bickea, I'm also going on elective to do trauma at Charlotte Maxeke in May/June 2016; when will you be going? Me and a friend are going at the same time but the more 9opportunity to know other people who'll be out there at the same time the better I figure!
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Original post by frenchsauce212
Hey 05bickea, I'm also going on elective to do trauma at Charlotte Maxeke in May/June 2016; when will you be going? Me and a friend are going at the same time but the more 9opportunity to know other people who'll be out there at the same time the better I figure!

Hey frenchsauce212! So sorry for the late response, I've never really used the student room and didn't know there were any replies to my post!! I'm going from the 26th June - 29th July, will we cross over? Where are you staying? Yeah definitely would be nice to know some other people who'll be going!!
Hi congratulations on your elective offer.
May i just ask you how early from your elective timeframe did you apply? And how long did the admission officers took to get back to you?
Thank you and hope you have a great time in SA.
Reply 7
Hi may I just ask how long before your actual elective that you all apply? how long did it took the admin to get back to your email?

Congratulations again!
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hi congratulations on your elective offer.
May i just ask you how early from your elective timeframe did you apply? And how long did the admission officers took to get back to you?
Thank you and hope you have a great time in SA.

Thank you!
I originally emailed with an application in April 2015, so just over a year in advance. Didn't hear anything for 2 months, then she emailed asking me to fill in some forms and get a letter off uni etc. They asked that you sent an electronic copy of the documents by email and then courier the originals to them (apparently the postal system is not reliable)...I had hoped that they would just accept the electronic copies, but I didn't hear anything for ages so decided to go ahead and courier them (cost like 60 quid!).
Was only after they had the original documents that they gave me the place (so I don't know whether they use that as a way of whittling down the number of applications? just a thought!)
Hope this helps!
Reply 9
Hey!

How did you find it?

I'm currently sorting my 2018 elective place in ED.

Can you recommend accommodation?

Isra
Hey,I'll be going in July 2018, received confirmation of a place within the trauma department. Slightly nervous due to safety concerns expressed by people but seems like too good of an opportunity to turn down! Just wondering how people that have been found the experience if anyone can help!
Original post by israhale
Hey!

How did you find it?

I'm currently sorting my 2018 elective place in ED.

Can you recommend accommodation?

Isra

The University recommended accommodation on their confirmation email, have you received one?
I'll be at Bara in ED in may 2018 for my elective, anyone else going there? I've never been to South Africa before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending