The Student Room Group

Being female is wrecking my fitness/running.

Fed up of low abdominal pain when running. It's basically period like cramps, I get them when I go for a run from mid cycle/ovulation up to period time. I have to stop after a mile when I feel them comming on then my cervix/uterus starts cramping in spasms for half an hour, it makes me feel dizzy and can be unbearable I always promise myself I won't run again because of it.. But it's my hobby. It has ruined a lot of my runs lately for those who don't get this or for the guys it kind of feels like a full bladder that squeezes hard in spasms, best way I can describe it. I went to my gp months ago about it and he just said that some women just get pms and told me to take mefanamic acid capsules which I do, but since I run everyday I'm wary about taking them most days/half of the month.

Just wanted advice, does anyone get this?
Hey,
I do not get these pains but I know how you feel about period pains :/ Anyhoo, why not take a break because you say it happens after you run a mile so maybe take a break every half a mile? Drink plenty of water during these breaks.
As a man, I don't get this :tongue: However, surely going on the pill would stop this?
Reply 3
Original post by star80
Hey,
I do not get these pains but I know how you feel about period pains :/ Anyhoo, why not take a break because you say it happens after you run a mile so maybe take a break every half a mile? Drink plenty of water during these breaks.

Thanks, I do interval training on other days and sometimes it happens then too. I suppose I could run a mile and half warm up and then get the cramps out the way (I'm soft though because they hurt bad I start walking home lol) then do my main run. It's a lot of faffing though when I just want to go for a run.
Reply 4
Original post by Angry cucumber
As a man, I don't get this :tongue: However, surely going on the pill would stop this?

I thought about this but I went on it a few years ago and couldn't stand the nausea/vomiting it caused in the first 2 days so came off it. I know they say the side effects go away but I was scared of taking another one lol. Maybe there is a pill that doesn't cause nausea though I will look into it.
Original post by Redfrost
I thought about this but I went on it a few years ago and couldn't stand the nausea/vomiting it caused in the first 2 days so came off it. I know they say the side effects go away but I was scared of taking another one lol. Maybe there is a pill that doesn't cause nausea though I will look into it.

You need to give it a bit longer than a couple of days. If the side effects persist, go back to your GP and change to a different one
Reply 6
Original post by Angry cucumber
You need to give it a bit longer than a couple of days. If the side effects persist, go back to your GP and change to a different one

I couldn't I had a phobia of being/feeling sick, probably still have not been sick in ages though lol, just hate the feeling. I could ask for one which doesnt cause nausea, if there is one.
Must be really irritating. When I run I get horrendous pain in my foot where I have an old injury which didn't heal, yet I still run because it's my hobby.
Do you have any idea what's causing the pain? Is it the sudden movement of your body? Maybe there's some undigested food left which is causing it? Or dehydration?
I couldn't I had a phobia of being/feeling sick, probably still have not been sick in ages though lol, just hate the feeling. I could ask for one which doesnt cause nausea, if there is one.

Side effects are different for everyone. You could try period pain relief tablets and see if they help with the cramping.

Because it happens when running I'd recommend seeing a gynecologist too, might be better placed to help you than your GP.

Could be an iron deficiency too, which is pretty common.
Reply 9
Original post by CaitlinDy
Must be really irritating. When I run I get horrendous pain in my foot where I have an old injury which didn't heal, yet I still run because it's my hobby.
Do you have any idea what's causing the pain? Is it the sudden movement of your body? Maybe there's some undigested food left which is causing it? Or dehydration?

Yea injuries are a nightmare I don't know any runner who hasn't got one of some sort. Nah it's hormonal/related to the menstrual cycle, it's period like cramps that come on sharply and in spasms it feels more in the area of the cervix. They can come on when running anytime from mid cycle/ovulation up to my period though they are usually worse during ovulation time and the few days before my period (and sometimes during) they can be bad. So basically I know I'm pain free after a period up to mid cycle. It's odd but even during my period when I'm not exercising they are not as bad as when I run, for some reason exercising triggers the cramps/spasms.
Yea injuries are a nightmare I don't know any runner who hasn't got one of some sort. Nah it's hormonal/related to the menstrual cycle, it's period like cramps that come on sharply and in spasms it feels more in the area of the cervix. They can come on when running anytime from mid cycle/ovulation up to my period though they are usually worse during ovulation time and the few days before my period (and sometimes during) they can be bad. So basically I know I'm pain free after a period up to mid cycle. It's odd but even during my period when I'm not exercising they are not as bad as when I run, for some reason exercising triggers the cramps/spasms.

That's the most peculiar thing I've heard. Most people I know are alleviated of cramps when they do exercise on their period - I know I am. Have you tried going on different types of the pill?
Reply 11
Original post by CaitlinDy
That's the most peculiar thing I've heard. Most people I know are alleviated of cramps when they do exercise on their period - I know I am. Have you tried going on different types of the pill?

They say exercise is meant to help but with me it's made the cramps worse even when I was younger, as though the blood flow/muscle contraction triggers it off or something. . I've looked it up online and found several people saying they experience a similar thing such as here http://www.ourhealth.com/conditions/i-cannot-get-a-diagnosis/lower-abdomen-cramps-while-running. Sounds just like me they get worse when I stop but if I carry on they get bad too.

Hm, even if I try just some other pain killers it would probably be unsafe to take them for 2 weeks a month everytime I go for a run.
(edited 8 years ago)
Find out how Radcliffe, Holmes, etc. (basically any female Olympic runner) cope with this while training.

Quick Reply

Latest