The Student Room Group

Are White people obligated to help Blacks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TheWaffle
No. No they really wouldn't.

The white person in my scenario is homeless, has no decent qualifications due to going to an awful school and is at the bottom of the ladder, near unable to climb up due to a lack of social mobility from their position.

The black person's parents paid for him to attend a top private school where he was coached into getting the top grades and due to family connections he is near guarenteed a top job upon graduation.

The black person still has numerous affirmative action scores open to him though. The white person does not.

Getting into a top school is not a lifetime ticket to riches, you have to actually perform well once you are in. For example, there is some evidence that affirmative action in the US can lead to blacks being admitted to top-tier university degrees which they are simply not good enough to complete, and so end up graduating with terrible grades and worse employment prospects than they would have had if they had went to a university more around their level. See:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/10/the-painful-truth-about-affirmative-action/263122/
http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1173&context=nulr

You can't just take some random person and stick them into a Cambridge physics degree, and expect them to come out with a 2:1 and a job offer at Goldman. That isn't how reality works, and when they end up graduating with a third class degree, their employment prospects will not be good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by SotonianOne
I don't know. Mods here have a record of being unreasonable and ridiculous.

Maybe it is you avatar... it shows contempt and it is too French.

change it to
Original post by Paraphilos
I have to humbly disagree with your overall position; I don't think it is fair to politicize the issue in this way.

There is clearly a racial power dynamic tilted in favour of white people and, as such, you can't draw an equivalence between black oppression and 'white oppression'.

The whole premise of this thread is politicised. Asking white people to take responsibility for the politics of the past or present.

My point is not to try and draw comparisons between black and white oppression but to highlight the numerous instances where on an individual level a white person has been disadvantaged much more than certain black people and yet are offered much less help by society than the better off black people in question. The need for help given should be assessed individually taking into account a range of factors rather than just blinding giving help to one race of people and not another.
Reply 43
Why are these type of threads so popular nowadays? :unimpressed:
As a mixed-race person, I think it's stupid to ask white people to take responsibility for their ancestors' actions. They should be aware yes, just as people are aware of the Holocaust, etc. People should know that slavery is wrong. But present-day white people have nothing to do with slavery of the past, and to ask someone to take a homeless person into their home is a bit much, I wouldn't be particularly keen... Also, the apartheid in South Africa is wrong. Anyone who thinks it is okay is stupid. Plus, I'm not a political correctness hater, but I'm not offended by blackboard, jeez.
If this thread was started by trolling...then lol, I guess...
Original post by TheWaffle
The whole premise of this thread is politicised. Asking white people to take responsibility for the politics of the past or present.

My point is not to try and draw comparisons between black and white oppression but to highlight the numerous instances where on an individual level a white person has been disadvantaged much more than certain black people and yet are offered much less help by society than the better off black people in question. The need for help given should be assessed individually taking into account a range of factors rather than just blinding giving help to one race of people and not another.

I do think white people should be held to account in some way since they generally benefit from the past in the present day. England is in a (sometimes, radically) different position some of the nations it colonised throughout history.

I somewhat agree with your second point; it would be wonderful if every individual was addressed according to their circumstances. However, I'm not sure that's practical or even possible. The statistics speak for themselves and, in general, we know that it is harder for black people to access more elite insitutions (academic and otherwise). In light of this, I think it is fair to offer them compensation.
(edited 8 years ago)
People should help people regardless of skin color as we are all humans - all this does is further divide us, but then they do shoot horses, don't they?
Original post by poohat
Yes but on the other hand black people should be AWARE and UNDERSTAND that much of the hostility towards them comes from their astronomically high levels of crime and violence - far more so than any other group, even after controlling for poverty, etc. Around 55% of street crime in London is committed by blacks for example, despite the fact they only make up 12% of the population and they aren't even the poorest or most "oppressed" group (Bangladeshis/Pakistanis, are poorer and face as much "racism" but commit very little crime): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7856787/Violent-inner-city-crime-the-figures-and-a-question-of-race.html

The same pattern holds in most other countries, and blacks typically commit crime around 5-8x more than other races (America is an extreme case where blacks are completely out of control and the main drivers of pretty much all crime statistics, but you see similar patterns in countries like Brazil/France/etc too - essentially anywhere that has a large black population). So if you want to understand the source of racism, look here. Many people who live around blacks end up feeling very wary around them due to their crazy levels of crime/violence, and trying to write that off as "racism" is disingenuous as hell.

Racism isn't random, its not like the entire world independently decided to be racist against Africans for no reason (and if you think white people are "racist" against you, just try talking to a typical person from South Asia or China and see what they think - their attitudes towards blacks makes the typical European look like Martin Luther King). Other races manage to integrate into society without committing enormous amounts of crime, and blaming "racism" makes no sense since the same pattern repeats itself in many different countries (including black countries)

So it's right for someone to look down on another black person for faults (crime in this instance) of another black person? Generalising much or...?
Reply 48
Smh seriously you people wil believe whatever I say and take it seriously. Its not even fun for me anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest