Any replies appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
At A level

Which has more content to learn
Which is easier to get a high grade in
Which is more interesting

You can't really say, objectively, which is the harder of the two. I think History will have more content- you're learning about the goings-on within a vast time period, usually a period of great change/upheaval! There is no way to come up with a definitive prescriptive mark scheme for a History paper because it is such a synoptic subject. Again, it's difficult to say which is easier to get a high grade in but, as a rule of thumb, if you're better at Maths/Science you will excel in Geography, if you're better at English/Humanities, you will be better suited to History. The style of questioning in an A level Geography paper, which contains mainly 4-6 mark questions, is very different to that of a History paper, which can consist of two 45 mark essays. Finally, as a prospective History student, I'd have to say History is more interesting :tongue: But, as I said before, it usually follows that sciencey people prefer Geography and englishy people, History. If you're just after a good fourth A level choice, go for the one you enjoy most, as you will invariably achieve a better result in a subject you like!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elisha Rebekah
You can't really say, objectively, which is the harder of the two. I think History will have more content- you're learning about the goings-on within a vast time period, usually a period of great change/upheaval! There is no way to come up with a definitive prescriptive mark scheme for a History paper because it is such a synoptic subject. Again, it's difficult to say which is easier to get a high grade in but, as a rule of thumb, if you're better at Maths/Science you will excel in Geography, if you're better at English/Humanities, you will be better suited to History. The style of questioning in an A level Geography paper, which contains mainly 4-6 mark questions, is very different to that of a History paper, which can consist of two 45 mark essays. Finally, as a prospective History student, I'd have to say History is more interesting :tongue: But, as I said before, it usually follows that sciencey people prefer Geography and englishy people, History. If you're just after a good fourth A level choice, go for the one you enjoy most, as you will invariably achieve a better result in a subject you like!

For A2 Geography you have to write a 70 mark report for one unit and complete six essays for another unit. Even at AS, one exam contains 4x15 mark questions. Therefore it isn't mostly "4-6 mark questions".

I don't think one is harder than the other. They are both equally respected by universities.

Ultimately it comes down to what you are most interested in. Personally Geography is more topical and easier to engage with. This doesn't mean the content is easy, just easier to resonate with than history.
I don't do Geography but from the experiences of my friends, it's supposedly easier than History. However this is only their opinions and there will be people who will refute that view. The most salient point here is to find which subject you engage with most, as that will be the 'easier' one for you.
History all the way
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
For A2 Geography you have to write a 70 mark report for one unit and complete six essays for another unit. Even at AS, one exam contains 4x15 mark questions. Therefore it isn't mostly "4-6 mark questions".

I don't think one is harder than the other. They are both equally respected by universities.

Ultimately it comes down to what you are most interested in. Personally Geography is more topical and easier to engage with. This doesn't mean the content is easy, just easier to resonate with than history.

Please remove rod from backside before posting on TSR. My implication was not that History is harder- I think all A levels are of an equal difficulty- but from the Geography papers I have seen*, and comments from Geog-loving friends, it seems that Geography exams include shorter answers, which people who take the sciences favour. This was only meant to reinforce an earlier point that if your sciencey you may prefer Geog, if englishy, History.
*AQA AS Geography- Unit 2
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Don Joiner
At A level

Which has more content to learn
Which is easier to get a high grade in
Which is more interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing both at A-level and honestly speaking it depends on the board. But I'd say if you're good with the sciences Geography would be easier. And if youre someone who's good at remembering information and likes reading A LOT, then history would be easier.
Geography.
They both have a lot of content. Two of my friends do both and found Geography harder than History, despite not doing History at GCSE.
History seems more interesting (I find geography very very boring)
History
Geography is dead anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is such a subjective question, it'll be different for everyone.

I've taken both History and Geography (at AS) and found History harder but my friends from the year above told me that Geography gets harder than History.
I did both. Geography was easier to get high grades in but I also got high grades in History because I loved it and would spend ages on homework and my work which ensured that I understood it well. Both are content heavy but history more so, although I think my teacher played a huge part in that because he prints out sooooooo many handouts and textbooks for us. (on our first day he gave us 12 thick handouts on how to write essays and general tips. thats before we even got to starting the course).

Despite all the reading, work and content to cover, history was definitely the most enjoyable for me by far. In fact, geography was a bit of a chore for me, it was easy and I understood everything well, but it just felt like a chore of a subject. Obviously this is only my view and preference. If I was to choose, I would definitely choose history, but its not for everyone and some people really struggle when it comes to it so you gotta make sure the 'interest' is there at least. You need to be willing to work hard and put the extra work in, especially when it comes to coursework. History coursework is a b****.

Too bawse for you, sir.
I do both and History is far harder. A lot of content and you need to be good at writing essays under pressure. I didn't even do geography GCSE and I still find the A-level a breeze and the exams were pretty easy.
Reply 12
Original post by A-LevelEconomist

the set out of the geography exam varies largely in geography. i did ocr and at AS there were a large amount of 4-9 mark questions with 1 25 mark one at the end of each paper, at A2 it was all 30mark essays from what i remember

Quick Reply

Latest