Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Oxbridge FAQ!

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    AS/A2 choices:
    AS/A2 choices should be as academic as possible. If you can do 4 A2's, do so; if you're a scientist and Further Maths is available, take it; if you've got a choice between a well respected subject and a one viewed a soft touch (say, history or critical thinking) do the respected one.

History is a soft touch?:eek:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolf's muse)
    AS/A2 choices:
    AS/A2 choices should be as academic as possible. If you can do 4 A2's, do so; if you're a scientist and Further Maths is available, take it; if you've got a choice between a well respected subject and a one viewed a soft touch(say, history or critical thinking) do the respected one.

History is a soft touch?:eek:

well respected subject
    and a one viewed a soft touch
    history or critical thinking
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lac.)

well respected subject
    Sorry I misread it , you just scared me because i've just completed history A2 and it was quite difficult
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lac.)

well respected subject
    So history and critical thinking
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)
    So history and critical thinking
    Was just quoting what was said; not my words.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, about applying - is it better to apply long before the 15th of October? Because in Sixth Form we've been advised to apply early for universities in order to get more chance of getting in, but Cambridge interview most of their applicants, don't they, regardless? And the interviews take place at roughly the same time, meaning that everybody gets equal attention, or at least that's how I've understood it...Basically,what I'm trying to get at is: will I have a better chance of getting in applying in September than in October?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latimer)
    I was wondering, about applying - is it better to apply long before the 15th of October? Because in Sixth Form we've been advised to apply early for universities in order to get more chance of getting in, but Cambridge interview most of their applicants, don't they, regardless? And the interviews take place at roughly the same time, meaning that everybody gets equal attention, or at least that's how I've understood it...Basically,what I'm trying to get at is: will I have a better chance of getting in applying in September than in October?
    Simply put, no. You can wait right up until the final day to submit the application and you'll be in exactly the same position as everyone else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spungo)
    Simply put, no. You can wait right up until the final day to submit the application and you'll be in exactly the same position as everyone else.
    Ah thanks, suppose I can relax a bit there then...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I live outside UK and have some questions. FIrst of all, I have already asked UCAS about IELTS and they answered that it is possible to send an application form first and and then take IELTS. Maybe someone could tell me what is the deadline in both Cambridge and Oxford universities for IELTS? Is it important to have IELTS results before an interview or you can take them after it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do they actually compare your results with your school's overall perfomance?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSnufkin)
    I'm still in Year 8 and I wanted to join he Army Cadets but my dad said that it was a bad idea.
    Should I join anything else instead?
    What extra-curricular activities are better?
    If you want a job at the end of the process, anything work-related, even if it means selling knickers at a market stall.

A friend of mine recently finished a PhD in a very competitive mathematics-based field from a highly prestigious university, and she has had serious problems finding a job because she has never worked outside academia or the charity sector.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question: is Oxbridge worth doing an extra year of education for? Whilst all my friends and the people I've been with for years go off to uni, is it worth doing another year of below undergrad level study, in attempt to go to Oxbridge? Only curious
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Young)
    I have a quick question: is Oxbridge worth doing an extra year of education for? Whilst all my friends and the people I've been with for years go off to uni, is it worth doing another year of below undergrad level study, in attempt to go to Oxbridge? Only curious
    That's quite a personal decision.

But personally, I would (I think) have been more than happy to go to one of the other wonderful universities we have in this country, rather than wait a year.

Basically - it depends how you feel.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastGuava)
    Don't know where to post this, but I'm just curious. Do a lot of Oxbridge students do like 5 subjects for AS?
    A few, but it's certainly not an entry requirement.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see. Guess you're an Oxbridge student; did you do five?
    I did But there are people who have done just three. It's much more about showing your capacity to study the specific course you've applied for, than it is having lots of A levels.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't know where to post this, but I'm just curious. Do a lot of Oxbridge students do like 5 subjects for AS?
    It depends on the subject and the school but I would say a lot of NatSci, medicine & Economics students at Cambridge had done five. However it gives you little advantage in the application process except showing capacity to cope with a high workload. Cambridge average the top three (or four with FM) UMS scores so it helped if one subject went badly-but not if you couldn't cope with extra work. However they do take account if you are at a school where five is normal, or five is unlikely to be allowed.

It can be good if you start sixth form unsure of what you want to study as it keeps your options open.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm thinking of applying to cambridge or Oxford in the future and I was wondering If anyone could give me an objective view of the type of character required to succeed at oxbridge. Like do you need lots of confidence, independence, a good work attitude...etc

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.