The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeologyMaths
Yes I was being funny [a partial warm up] - heres the real one..
0enx2dx \int ^{\infty}_{0} e^{-nx^{2}}dx
Polar coordinates are not allowed!!
Also Zacken: do not type this into an integration calculator

??
Original post by TeeEm
??

Troll, ignore him.
The correct answer is I=πn I = \sqrt{\dfrac{\pi}{n}} (not sure if latex turnt out correct).

That's incorrect, I'm afraid. Zacken got the correct answer.
Original post by TeeEm
trolls are ok
(most of the time)

Normally yes, but this one called a student asking for help dumb for not being able to answer an easy question, which has set me against him thoroughly.
Original post by Zacken
Right, I've brought you up in the moderation team.

lol
To add, doesn't it diverge for n0n \leq 0 which I do not think has been mentioned yet.

If you want some integrals, try:

0101dxdy1xy \displaystyle \int_0^1 \displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{ dx dy}{1 - xy}
0101dxdy1x2y2 \displaystyle \int_0^1 \displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{ dx dy} {1 - x^2 y^2 }
Original post by studentro
That's incorrect, I'm afraid. Zacken got the correct answer.

I cant proof it is correct
Original post by 16Characters....
To add, doesn't it diverge for n0n \leq 0 which I do not think has been mentioned yet.

If you want some integrals, try:

0101dxdy1xy \displaystyle \int_0^1 \displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{ dx dy}{1 - xy}
0101dxdy1x2y2 \displaystyle \int_0^1 \displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{ dx dy} {1 - x^2 y^2 }

Are you referring to space or me specifically?
Original post by 16Characters....

Yeah, that's correct.
(I had assumed n was a positive integer for some reason!)
I cant proof it is correct

I worked it out to be 12(πn)12 \frac{1}{2} (\frac{\pi}{n})^{\frac{1}{2}} . I've checked it in Wolfram and it's correct. You're out by a factor of two, so you've probably only made a small slip up somewhere.
I worked it out to be 12(πn)12 \frac{1}{2} (\frac{\pi}{n})^{\frac{1}{2}} . I've checked it in Wolfram and it's correct. You're out by a factor of two, so you've probably only made a small slip up somewhere.

Show us mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpg
Original post by physicsmaths
Show us mate

I used pretty much exactly the same method as Geology, but didn't make the mistake with the limits that he did (pointed out below).

image.jpg

4I2=400e(x2+y2)dxdy[br]=e(x2+y2)dxdy[br]=02π0renr2drdθ=πn[br] 4I^2 = 4 \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(x^2 + y^2)} dx dy [br]= \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(x^2 + y^2)} dx dy [br]= \displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} r e^{-nr^2} dr d \theta = \frac{\pi}{n}[br]
(edited 8 years ago)
I used pretty much exactly the same method as Geology, but didn't make the mistake with the limits that he did (pointed out below).

02π0renr2drdθ=e(x2+y2)dxdy=200e(x2+y2)dxdy \displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} r e^{-nr^2} dr d \theta = \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(x^2 + y^2)} dx dy = 2 \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(x^2 + y^2)} dx dy

Thanks mate
Thanks mate

No worries! Easy mistake to make :smile:
Edit: I made a mistake while texing it up myself! Should be a 4 rather than a 2.
(edited 8 years ago)
What are the biggest tips you could give me for starting STEP prep?r
Reply 1996
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
SHould it not be less than and equal to?

No as it's proof by contradiction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niallbc
What are the biggest tips you could give me for starting STEP prep?r

Finish C4 if you haven't, then choose one of:

(i) go through Siklos's booklet.

(ii) go through step correspondence assignments

(iii) jump straight into past papers (my personal favourite).
Reply 1998
All

As we're approaching the date where Cambridge sends out it offer decisions, we should also be entering into the phase where STEP prep starts in earnest. Please can I ask everyone to keep a few basic things in mind?

- It can be daunting for those less confident to see lots of uni maths / complicated questions of the type which aren't on STEP. Every year people are put off posting because they are "intimidated" by some of the regular posters. I know no one goes out of their way to show off and intimidate, but there are other more relevant threads for some of the recent discussions.

Try The Proof is Trivial or threads like the hard integral thread / the hard sum/products thread where you'll be encouraged and challenged to solve these types of problems.

- Please remember that this thread is to help you prepare: no one should give out full solutions and people are encouraged to help each other out to give hints.

- Be patient if your post doesn't get answered straight away. People like me are unpaid volunteers (I'm writing this whilst talking to my boss :tongue:) so we can't be constantly be on TSR :biggrin:

Hopefully lots of you will see this and we can get you through the exams. Good luck all for offers and see you all starting in the next week or so :biggrin: (Really, you might as well start now. If you're after an easier paper to start with, I recommend STEP I 1994 but the style is slightly different to more recent papers.)
Original post by shamika

- Be patient if your post doesn't get answered straight away. People like me are unpaid volunteers (I'm writing this whilst talking to my boss :tongue:) so we can't be constantly be on TSR :biggrin:

Big LOL! :lol:

(Really, you might as well start now. If you're after an easier paper to start with, I recommend STEP I 1994 but the style is slightly different to more recent papers.)

For those starting with STEP III: STEP III 1997 is an excellent paper to get started, analogous to STEP I 1994 for STEP I beginners.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to doing some maths with you all! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending