The Student Room Group

Starting AS English Lit

In September, I will be starting my A Levels and am taking English Literature. I want to start some summer reading and was wondering if anyone could recommend me any books that will be beneficial? Thank you :smile:
Start reading the great gatsby get ahead
If you know what book you'll be studying then read that. Otherwise, maybe read some classics? 1984, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Jane Eyre, Lord of the Flies etc. Become aquainted with the different literary movements and the different literary approaches - that will be of more use to you I think.

I didn't read anything during my summer break from GCSE to AS Level but managed just fine when it came to it :smile: I've found it's hard to prepare for English Lit, and reading a ton of different books wouldn't have helped me personally... I think simply enjoying the break without studying/reading anything related to school was more beneficial to me.
Original post by iloveteddy14
Start reading the great gatsby get ahead

Thank you! :smile:
Thank you! Definitely will read some classics. I feel like I've relaxed for too long now, just want to get back to school so thank you for your help!

Original post by Zoelingua
If you know what book you'll be studying then read that. Otherwise, maybe read some classics? 1984, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Jane Eyre, Lord of the Flies etc. Become aquainted with the different literary movements and the different literary approaches - that will be of more use to you I think.

I didn't read anything during my summer break from GCSE to AS Level but managed just fine when it came to it :smile: I've found it's hard to prepare for English Lit, and reading a ton of different books wouldn't have helped me personally... I think simply enjoying the break without studying/reading anything related to school was more beneficial to me.
Read your exam/ coursework texts (if you know them). If not, just read anything you can get your hands on (novels, poetry, plays etc.).

Some good texts are: Heart of Darkness, Much Ado About Nothing (if you are going to be studying Shakespearean comedy), Pride and Prejudice, Lord of The Flies, Atonement, The Crucible, 1984, and really anything that can be considered 'classic' or 'modern classic'. There are also a lot of book lists if you type into google what texts are good for a level :smile:

However, as well as just reading, you should start thinking about analysing the stuff you read. When you finish a chapter, stop and think about stuff like how the audience at the time of writing would have responded, why the writer included certain details, is there any important symbolism. Maybe get into the habit of writing little notes on post its and sticking them in whenever something catches your eye, even if it is something as simple and an interesting word choice.

A level lit - in my experience of the AS - is less about WHAT you are reading, but HOW you are interpreting it, and using the information the writer has given you. Always be thinking in your head 'why is this here' with any text you read :smile:

(Sorry for the long, rambling reply :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. I found your reply really helpful and I definitely will analyse whilst reading :smile:

Original post by rachelthehuman
Read your exam/ coursework texts (if you know them). If not, just read anything you can get your hands on (novels, poetry, plays etc.).

Some good texts are: Heart of Darkness, Much Ado About Nothing (if you are going to be studying Shakespearean comedy), Pride and Prejudice, Lord of The Flies, Atonement, The Crucible, 1984, and really anything that can be considered 'classic' or 'modern classic'. There are also a lot of book lists if you type into google what texts are good for a level :smile:

However, as well as just reading, you should start thinking about analysing the stuff you read. When you finish a chapter, stop and think about stuff like how the audience at the time of writing would have responded, why the writer included certain details, is there any important symbolism. Maybe get into the habit of writing little notes on post its and sticking them in whenever something catches your eye, even if it is something as simple and an interesting word choice.

A level lit - in my experience of the AS - is less about WHAT you are reading, but HOW you are interpreting it, and using the information the writer has given you. Always be thinking in your head 'why is this here' with any text you read :smile:

(Sorry for the long, rambling reply :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending