The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2016 applicants - 4th November 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by KIDO123
I started at about 53.9 2 weeks ago and the one I just did I got 73.9. The first few papers you do you are just getting use to the way in which the questions are asked so don't be disheartened by your initial score. After you do some more papers your score will improve.

Thanks for your answer :-)
Stupid question I guess but where can I get more past papers?
Original post by scblx

I'd be interested if there were any other than those on the official website. I found that the BMAT is relatively similar for their maths and logic questions, but different format for the verbal ones.
Original post by falloutboyyy
I love imagine dragons! Ooh ill have a listen :smile:

:yy:
Scores have now been 64.9, 60.5, 61.0, 67.9 and 72.0.

Have 3 tests to go but my book order has been messed up. Really need > 70/71.
Original post by scblx
Does anyone know how to draw conclusions in the test? It is my weakest part because the options all seem correct and I can't decide on the best one.. Are there any tips and tricks?

In order to draw a conclusion from a passage, read the passage thoroughly and consider the arguments presented. Then consider what these arguments are trying to suggest. When looking at the possible answers, reason whether they could be an argument (i.e. from this statement, could a conclusion be drawn?) or in fact the conclusion (in which case the arguments all reinforce this idea).

I generally try to think of the conclusion / assumption / flaw first before looking at the answers; a lot of the time if this initial thought is one of the possible answers it tends to be correct. May work! :smile:
Original post by scblx

Oxford website under "preparing for the TSA"
Would be grateful if someone could explain the answer.

44. Sally is helping her father dig worms for fishing.

"That's exactly enough," he says as she places a worm in his tin.

"How many do you need?" she enquires.

"I use 4 worms on my hook and reckon on having to replace an average of one of these each time I cast. I cast 12 times an hour. Today I will fish 5 pools spending an hour at the first 4 and an hour and a half at the fifth. I always discard the worms on my hook when walking between pools."

How many worms are in the tin?

a 66
b 69
c 81
d 86
e 264
Reply 187
Untitled5.png
can someone pls help with this question
Reply 188
Original post by sickfam
Untitled5.png
can someone pls help with this question

The problem is working out what they mean. The minute hand takes 15 minutes to go from 0 to 6 but 45 minutes to go from 6 to 12. (i.e. 3 times slower).

So when the minute hand is at 9 it is half way round the 45 minute section from 6 to 12.
Question 30 please explain if anyone can? Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
How the hell do you do this xxx
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that an old Cambridge TSA specimen? We are running out of papers here.

Edit: No it's Oxford ... pity!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pars12
Is that an old Cambridge TSA specimen? We are running out of papers here.

No it's oxford 2010 I'm stuck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's (1/5x6.0)+(2/5x6.5)+(1/5x7.5) litres at 0.8 $/litre
Reply 194
No it's oxford 2010 I'm stuck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, crossed in the post. The math in these is straightforward. They are just being tricksy in how they present the information.
Reply 195
Question 30 please explain if anyone can? Xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to net off what people owe each other.

Easiest way is probably to draw a triangle with arrows showing who owes what. Be careful you get the direction of the arrow correct for each debt. It should become obvious after that.
Reply 196
I did two other past papers and I am still stuck at scoring around 60 :frown: It is quite disheartening since 60 is not enough to get an interview, is it? Does anyone know which score you need to get an interview?
Reply 197
Original post by scblx
I did two other past papers and I am still stuck at scoring around 60 :frown: It is quite disheartening since 60 is not enough to get an interview, is it? Does anyone know which score you need to get an interview?

It varies from year to year and between subjects. For PPE it's around 61. (TSA score not %)
Reply 198
Original post by Pars12
It varies from year to year and between subjects. For PPE it's around 61. (TSA score not %)

Well, it's not that far away then.. I am applying for PPE.
Yeah I was talking about the TSA score - in one test I had 47%, in another 70% - still both TSA score around 60.
do they care more about your multiple choice result or your essay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending