The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2016 applicants - 4th November 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrpunchline

Chris walks a total of 260 miles during the 10 weeks (5+5+8+8)*10

He needs to lose 7.5 pounds which equals 26 250 calories (1 pound fat = 3500 calories)

To find out how fast he needs to go you have to divide the amount of calories he needs to burn with the amount of miles he walks. 26250 / 260 = 101

So Chris needs to burn at least 101 calories per mile and the slowest speed that allows him to do that is 4 mph (102 calories per hour) which is C

Don't really know how to explain this... But C explains a flaw in the argument by pointing out that the anarchists at a demonstration does not have to agree with the official aim of the demonstration (which the author says they do)

You know that the 5-year average 1911 is 13.66. This means that 1911 and the four previous years have an average of 13.66. You can use this to find the value of X.

13.66*5=68.3
14.9+13.3+X+13.7+13.4 = 55.3+X
68.3 = 55.3 + X
X = 13.0

You can now find the 5-year average for 1909.
13+13.7+13.4+14.4+13.4 = 67,9
67,9 / 5 = 13.58 C

Amy has 4 grandparents. This means that she has 8 great grandparents. This means that she should have 16 great-great grandparents. However, two sisters from one family married 2 brothers from another family. This means that two great grandparents (the two brothers) only have 2 parents instead of 4 (great-great grandparents to Amy) and two other great grandparents (the two sisters) also only have 2 parents instead of 4 (great-great grandparents to Amy). This means that there are 4 great-great grandparents less than usual which means that Amy has 12 great-great grandparents C

Okay, that last explanation was extremely poor, but try to draw the family tree as a picture and you should see how it's connected :smile:

Thank you

I'm sure you'll destroy the test bud
Original post by ancagabriela
Does anyone know how much is needed for PPE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people say around 65, but this spreadsheet says the average is around 70.
Original post by Razachary
I've been practising a lot on the TSA MCQs but only started attempting the essay questions today(I know, thats very bad). Thing is, I've been informed, and judging by the posts here that the essay doesn't play a significant role into interview decisions. Is that true for all colleges? Particularly Christchurch?

Another thing is, the book I read (the ultimate guide to the TSA) suggests writing an essay that presents two sides of the argument by having a balanced number of paragraphs for each side. In the book the example question given was "is globalisation a threat to nations?" with three sample essays. But what if the question directly asks for benefits/harms? For example: "If 'Humanitarian Intervention' is acceptable, why shouldn't Europe invade theUSA to stop it using the death penalty?" OR "Why is vision so important to human beings?". Questions which allude to a particular side.

Thanks!

If it makes you feel any better, I only started today too.
Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 9.15.44 PM.png

Anyone know this one?
Which method did you guys use for this one?
1446490765382.jpg
Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand what I got wrong here :/ can anyone please help? 1446492442943.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand what I got wrong here :/ can anyone please help? 1446492442943.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Energy costs= gas, electricity, coal, logs for fire.
do we use pen or pencil in the essay section?

Anyone knows pls help me?? thank you
Reply 388
Anyone knows this one...?

At a recent televised snooker match between James Hoopoo and Ron Knight, a viewer phone-inwas held to vote on which player was the better tactician. Ron scored only 24%. If this figure has been given to the nearest 1%, what is the smallest number of votes that couldhave been cast?

A 4
B 17
C 25
D 33
Reply 389
Original post by maian6396
do we use pen or pencil in the essay section?

Anyone knows pls help me?? thank you

Black ink pen, I recall. Tippex is not allowed.
Original post by IreneG
Black ink pen, I recall. Tippex is not allowed.

thank you
I'm pretty sure its black pen for the essay, pencil for the problem solving
Reply 392
Does anyone know how much is needed for PPE?

Original post by Kareem97
Most people say around 65, but this spreadsheet says the average is around 70.

That's the average for offer holders. So 50% of offer holders scored less than 70.

Was OP asking for the interview cut-off? This is usually around 61.
How are you guys structuring the essay? I don't really feel comfortable with writing arguments for and against. I would much rather write a one sided essay - do you think this is possible/accepted?
Does anyone know why the answer is C for 2009, Section 1, Question 2?

It seems like a straightforward volume question but I'm clearly doing it wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 395
Original post by HopefulHuman
Does anyone know why the answer is C for 2009, Section 1, Question 2?

It seems like a straightforward volume question but I'm clearly doing it wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

40x40x5=8 000

The 40's are the length and width of the box when the sides are flipped up. The 5cm is the height of the box created by the flaps. V=a^3
Original post by PlaneovertheSea
How are you guys structuring the essay? I don't really feel comfortable with writing arguments for and against. I would much rather write a one sided essay - do you think this is possible/accepted?

I've been doing quite one-sided essays, with just one paragraph discussing a possible counter/s, before I say why its not the best answer or what the weaknesses of that argument are. I wouldn't do it entirely one sided though since the advice mostly says to have some balance, I think to show you can understand different perspectives or something.

Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by Gimmel
40x40x5=8 000

The 40's are the length and width of the box when the sides are flipped up. The 5cm is the height of the box created by the flaps. V=a^3

I forgot to take both 5's off! *facepalm* Thanks!
Help me fellow test takers, you're my only hope:

48 Starting from its depot in town X, a delivery lorry is to make deliveries to three towns A, Band C, in any order which the driver chooses and finally to return to X.Straight roads connect each town to every other town.Depending on the layout of the towns, which of the following could NOT be the shortestjourney for him to take?

A XAXBCBX
B XACBX
C XAXBCX
D XBABXCX
E XABCBAX
Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 20.27.44.png really struggling to digest this data, any help much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending