The Student Room Group

Do you like reading books?

Hello! So I love to read books and I always have enjoyed reading ever since I learnt how to read. It gives a chance for me to escape reality and travel into another world for a while :smile: I have a huge collection of books and I was just wondering if anyone else loves reading just as much as I do. I finished reading the book "Eleanor and Park" a couple of days ago and now I am reading "Paper Towns"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I LOVE reading, although, over the past year, the 'why' has changed.

For reasons alike to yours, I used to lose myself in wonderful fictional worlds. What I adored perhaps was the escapism!

Now, I'm reading mostly non-fiction (currently 'On Palestine'), and I'm loving the feeling of ever increasing wisdom. The best part? I'll never know anywhere near enough. Although imagination might sadly start to dwindle as ages pass, this kind of pleasure from reading will never subside. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Sir Candour
I LOVE reading, although, over the past year, the 'why' has changed.

For reasons alike to yours, I used to lose myself in wonderful fictional worlds. What I adored perhaps was the escapism!

Now, I'm reading mostly non-fiction (currently 'On Palestine'), and I'm loving the feeling of ever increasing wisdom. The best part? I'll never know anywhere near enough. Although imagination might sadly start to dwindle as ages pass, this kind of pleasure from reading will never subside. :biggrin:

I understand where you are coming from, non fiction books can be quite educating :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really, I only read study guides.. Currently reading a 1000pg computer book. For entertainment I watch films.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaistaaa
Hello! So I love to read books and I always have enjoyed reading ever since I learnt how to read. It gives a chance for me to escape reality and travel into another world for a while :smile: I have a huge collection of books and I was just wondering if anyone else loves reading just as much as I do. I finished reading the book "Eleanor and Park" a couple of days ago and now I am reading "Paper Towns"
Posted from TSR Mobile

I love it! I'm not sure why, I've always had access to tonnes of books and I've loved them since I was a kid. I think it's just immersing myself in another story and getting to know different characters :tongue:

How did you find Eleanor and Park? Everyone seems to love it but I really didn't enjoy it!
Currently going through all the Tolkein stuff atm, on the Unfinished Tales, they're :sogood:
Reply 6
I Love love love reading books. Anyone close to me knows this. Like someone said above the escapism is the best part. Reading the words and having to imagine the scenario or place is the best part for me. I love the fact that books sharpen my imagination.
Reply 7
Original post by bumblebee342
I love it! I'm not sure why, I've always had access to tonnes of books and I've loved them since I was a kid. I think it's just immersing myself in another story and getting to know different characters :tongue:

How did you find Eleanor and Park? Everyone seems to love it but I really didn't enjoy it!

Glad to find someone who enjoys reading just as much as I do! :smile: I could spend an entire day in a book store haha and it was a good book, I seemed to enjoy it.I still want to know what the 3 words were at the end of the book :P and I guess there are some books that not everyone enjoys,luckily there are so many more to choose from :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Ekemini
I Love love love reading books. Anyone close to me knows this. Like someone said above the escapism is the best part. Reading the words and having to imagine the scenario or place is the best part for me. I love the fact that books sharpen my imagination.

YES! :biggrin: I feel the exact same way, glad to find someone who feels the same way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I generally spend my days reading a book, and zoning out of the world. when im in trouble my mom confiscates all my books. So i end up contemplating life without books. I would probably die of boredom if there was no books or library.
Reply 10
Original post by 11salmaa
I generally spend my days reading a book, and zoning out of the world. when im in trouble my mom confiscates all my books. So i end up contemplating life without books. I would probably die of boredom if there was no books or library.

Aww :') it's good to see that there are still people who enjoy reading books because in this day and age, many people are so caught up on their phones and social media, that they don't read books anymore :frown: I'm glad I don't have a phone, I'm happy with my books haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaistaaa
Aww :':wink: it's good to see that there are still people who enjoy reading books because in this day and age, many people are so caught up on their phones and social media, that they don't read books anymore :frown: I'm glad I don't have a phone, I'm happy with my books haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a new phone, but to tell the truth i havent used it since school ended, in which i used it to call my mom to pick me up. I dont think it has any other use.
Yes. I love reading, pretty much for the same reason you stated. As far as I can remember I loved being told stories (bedtime stories etc. probably why I love watching films and stuff). I'm the kind of guy that can just sit anywhere and happily pass time day dreaming myself a story. Sometimes I can create a world/story which I can continuously go back to in my day dreams.
My day dreaming did become troublesome in school for a while though, it made it had to pay attention in class. I digress.

Read mostly non-fiction, maths & science and other random fiction.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have always like reading and I try to read at least a little bit every day. Sometimes I find I go through periods of days or weeks where I can't seem to get any reading done at all but I always get over it and come back to reading eventually. I find that when I'm reading something for school I am much less motivated to finish it as it feels like a chore, but when I get to choose the book and don't have a deadline then there's little I enjoy more. :smile:
By the way, you said that you're reading Paper Towns, have you read any of the other John Green books? I've read all of them and he's definitely one of my favourite authors.
Reply 14
Original post by FatherTime
Yes. I love reading, pretty much for the same reason you stated. As far as I can remember I loved being told stories (bedtime stories etc). I'm the kind of guy that can just sit anywhere and happily past time day dreaming myself a story. Sometimes I can create a world/story which I can continuously go back to in my day dreams.
My day dreaming did become troublesome in school for a while though, it made it had to pay attention in class. I digress.

That's great to hear! I completely understand where you are coming about with the whole day dreaming thing. I day dream ALL the time :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, not at all, I've never been interested in a novel enough to get past the first page. I've tried many times to get into different books, but my mind drifts off after the first paragraph.
Original post by FatherTime
Yes. I love reading, pretty much for the same reason you stated. As far as I can remember I loved being told stories (bedtime stories etc. probably why I love watching films and stuff). I'm the kind of guy that can just sit anywhere and happily past time day dreaming myself a story. Sometimes I can create a world/story which I can continuously go back to in my day dreams.

You're like me except from the last part. I read mostly fiction but the part about concocting stories in my head and daydreaming for hours is becoming a problem for my parents. Cause sometimes I would just think of a really funny line(...well...funny to me) and just start laughing out loud. Sometimes I get so into the daydream I speak out loud so it looks like I am talking to myself and slowly losing my mind.
Reply 17
Original post by Georgina-Lucy
I have always like reading and I try to read at least a little bit every day. Sometimes I find I go through periods of days or weeks where I can't seem to get any reading done at all but I always get over it and come back to reading eventually. I find that when I'm reading something for school I am much less motivated to finish it as it feels like a chore, but when I get to choose the book and don't have a deadline then there's little I enjoy more. :smile:
By the way, you said that you're reading Paper Towns, have you read any of the other John Green books? I've read all of them and he's definitely one of my favourite authors.

Yep that's like me too. The only book that I was told to read for school in my English lessons that I actually enjoyed and ended up buying and re reading it 3 times was "Noughts and Crosses" by Malorie Blackman. And I have read "The Fault In Our Stars" because it popular and well talked about and being someone who enjoys reading, I had to check it out for myself :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not a huge fan of reading unless I have to for school or personal choice to cause I'm really into something.
Reply 19
Original post by Ekemini
You're like me except from the last part. I read mostly fiction but the part about concocting stories in my head and daydreaming for hours is becoming a problem for my parents. Cause sometimes I would just think of a really funny line(...well...funny to me) and just start laughing out loud. Sometimes I get so into the daydream I speak out loud so it looks like I am talking to myself and slowly losing my mind.

YES this is me too! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending