The Student Room Group

gcse literary terms

hi

i am just looking through the literary terms i know to help analyse/compare poems for gcse.

I was wondering if you can check my definitions for each are right, and also point out any i've missed :biggrin:, thnx a bunch

p.s. i've only given very vague definitions

collate - compare
chiasmus - kinda like a symetrical verse
polysyndeton - lots of "and"s
asyndeton - not many "and"s
anthropomorphic - giving something human qualities
plosive - words like 'plop', that kinda explosiveness (i know what it means just cant really describe it)
onomatopoeia - sounds liek what it is
pejorative - negative, bad sounding word
enjamb(e)ment - run-on lines
alliteration - string of words beginign with same letter
chauvinism - beleiving one thing better than another
pathetic fallacy - giving objects human feelings
pleonism, e.g. tiny little ant (redundant words)
eupheminism - (i think making something sound offensive?)
cacophemism - same as above
dysphemism, - antonym of above 2
ambigious - two possible meanings of a word
equivoke - kinda synonmyn (sp?) of above)
colloquial - slang, informal
epizeuxis - immediate word repetition for emphasis

and of course the simpler ones liek metaphor, simile, but i know all them

thnx so much if you can help :biggrin::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

o yeh, 1 or 2 more that just popped into my head

juxtapose - compare 2 things side by side
consanance - not sure, but i think isnt it like when the consant parts of a sentence are similar?
assonance, same as above with vowely bits?
dental - words beginign D
fricative - f
labial - l
sibilance - s

thnx :biggrin:
just remembered....

neologism... - when a poet dude(tte) makes up a word from like the other words, like womb and booming, wombing :biggrin: (example from island man i think it is)
Reply 3
SouthernFreerider
o yeh, 1 or 2 more that just popped into my head

juxtapose - compare 2 things side by side
consanance - not sure, but i think isnt it like when the consant parts of a sentence are similar?
assonance, same as above with vowely bits?
dental - words beginign D
fricative - f
labial - l
sibilance - s

thnx :biggrin:

Consonance is repetition of consonant sounds, like 'blunt, flat, get' and assonance the repetition of vowel sounds (sorry not sure if you knew that or not from your descriptions).
I'm not sure if you know that it is highly unnecessary to know or use the majority of these words for GCSE English. You can easily get by with just a selection of these, even at A level, so I wouldn't spend too much time trying to learn them. Unless you get a kick out of it (which I must admit I do).
o rite, yeh i knwo you dont need them all, but i always find a decent vocab generally tells the examiner you're in the A* bracket even if you content itself isnt quite there

its kinda how i blag my way through subject and questions i dont understand haha
Reply 5
SouthernFreerider
hi

i am just looking through the literary terms i know to help analyse/compare poems for gcse.

I was wondering if you can check my definitions for each are right, and also point out any i've missed :biggrin:, thnx a bunch

p.s. i've only given very vague definitions

collate - compare
chiasmus - kinda like a symetrical verse
polysyndeton - lots of "and"s
asyndeton - not many "and"s
anthropomorphic - giving something human qualities
plosive - words like 'plop', that kinda explosiveness (i know what it means just cant really describe it)
onomatopoeia - sounds like what it is
pejorative - negative, bad sounding word
enjamb(e)ment - run-on lines
alliteration - string of words beginning with same letter
chauvinism - believing one thing better than another
pathetic fallacy - giving objects human feelings
pleonism, e.g. tiny little ant (redundant words)
eupheminism - (i think making something sound offensive?)
cacophemism - same as above
dysphemism, - antonym of above 2
ambigious - two possible meanings of a word
equivoke - kinda synonym (sp?) of above)
colloquial - slang, informal
epizeuxis - immediate word repetition for emphasis

and of course the simpler ones like metaphor, simile, but i know all them

thnx so much if you can help :biggrin::biggrin:

A Euphemism is saying something to sound LESS offensive, whereas a cacophemism is the opposite - making something sound MORE offensive.

Dysphemism isn't an antonym of a euphemism, it's an antonym of cacophemism only.

There is no second "e" in enjambment.

You should go onto google, type in "define:" and then the word. For example, "define:redface:nomatopoeia" :smile:

Some of those words are coming up as incorrect in my spell checker though...
Reply 6
SouthernFreerider
o rite, yeh i knwo you dont need them all, but i always find a decent vocab generally tells the examiner you're in the A* bracket even if you content itself isnt quite there

its kinda how i blag my way through subject and questions i dont understand haha

Yeah, the more flash words you come off with, the more impressed the examiner will be. Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
I'd disagree with the above; I hope you realise that the examiner won't know half of these terms! They don't sit down and learn the terms of analysing a poem when you do an English degree you know. It's all very well having the technical term from something; they'd much prefer it if you could just explain what you're understanding is and perhaps throw in the odd "this is an example of...".
Reply 8
no1mohsin
I'd disagree with the above; I hope you realise that the examiner won't know half of these terms! They don't sit down and learn the terms of analysing a poem when you do an English degree you know. It's all very well having the technical term from something; they'd much prefer it if you could just explain what you're understanding is and perhaps throw in the odd "this is an example of...".

I have to agree with this. It's good to know some technical terms, though I don't think it will be too essential at GCSE. But you're required to understand the poem and explain what you think about it, to formulate opinions, etc. I reckon the examiner will just be rather annoyed if they come across the sentence 'the epizeuxis coupled with the asyndeton style make this line a cacophemism with colloquial chiasmus'; An example of not really understanding the poem, just trying to sound clever.
I like learning literary terms and it's interesting to know the names of things, as well as being able to recognise that certain techniques actually have names, etc. But this should never be a substitute for actual comprehension of the text.
yeh, i realise that you have to apply the terms, not just state them.
Reply 10
Hey, well done on collating so many great words that one would hope you use as more than just stock devices for marks...Just a few things i picked out...collate doesnt actually mean compare it means to gather or assemble as in like a collage is a series of pictures collated. Secondly pathetic fallacy refers almost exclusively to giving objects of nature human feelings for example the angry waves...in poetry i think its mainly used when the poet uses the weather to convey feelings so for example a storm would represent unhapiness, danger and sunshine hapiness etc. Finally, a euphemism is when you use a term less blunt or less offensive i suppose as u opted to say something. The most common and colloquial example is 'passed away' to mean 'died' or perhaps 'between jobs' to mean unemployed. Keep up the hard work!
Reply 11
Good luck with learning these. Guarentee they will keep you busy. More rhetorical terms than you can shake a rhetorical stick at.
Cambyses
I have to agree with this. It's good to know some technical terms, though I don't think it will be too essential at GCSE. But you're required to understand the poem and explain what you think about it, to formulate opinions, etc. I reckon the examiner will just be rather annoyed if they come across the sentence 'the epizeuxis coupled with the asyndeton style make this line a cacophemism with colloquial chiasmus'; An example of not really understanding the poem, just trying to sound clever.
I like learning literary terms and it's interesting to know the names of things, as well as being able to recognise that certain techniques actually have names, etc. But this should never be a substitute for actual comprehension of the text.

that is the most EPIC sentence i have ever seen :biggrin:
Reply 13
mikeski
A Euphemism is saying something to sound LESS offensive, whereas a cacophemism is the opposite - making something sound MORE offensive.

Dysphemism isn't an antonym of a euphemism, it's an antonym of cacophemism only.

There is no second "e" in enjambment.

You should go onto google, type in "define:" and then the word. For example, "define:redface:nomatopoeia" :smile:

Some of those words are coming up as incorrect in my spell checker though...

There is another e in enjambment.. it can be spelt both enjambement and enjambment:smile:
Reply 14
Cambyses
I reckon the examiner will just be rather annoyed if they come across the sentence 'the epizeuxis coupled with the asyndeton style make this line a cacophemism with colloquial chiasmus'; An example of not really understanding the poem, just trying to sound clever.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:smile: I have never laughed so much in my life:smile:
Reply 15
There is also Personification: Figure of speech where by inanimate objects or abstractions are given human characteristics. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Love me? Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible. And when I leave you will finally understand, why storms are named after people.
Original post by incognitowindow
Love me? Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible. And when I leave you will finally understand, why storms are named after people.

wow that was beautifully deep
Original post by incognitowindow

You're super uncool
Original post by Winterfellrises
You're super uncool

bullying is a sin. Lucifer is waiting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending