The Student Room Group

Examination body admits Higher Maths exam was 'too hard'

News story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33760350

Grade boundaries were adjusted after it was realised the exam was too hard.

How hard did you find the exam and what grade did you get?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by She-Ra

I wonder how much harder was it? Article doesn't say by how much they had to rescale the raw marking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I wonder how much harder was it? Article doesn't say by how much they had to rescale the raw marking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder too......

All the OCR science students will be praying the same happens for them ahead of next week!

Just posted up the grade boundaries thread for SQA :smile:
Reply 3
New Higher Maths A - 60% (78 Marks)
Old Higher Maths A - 68% (89 Marks)

Both papers were the same though. Where do they find the discrepancy of 11 marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClintFuk

Both papers were the same though. Where do they find the discrepancy of 11 marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow.....
Since the cfe higher is a completely new qualification?
There is a separate petition for cfe higher maths?
The new higher has an extra question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, that's insane.
Original post by She-Ra
I wonder too......

All the OCR and AQA science students will be praying the same happens for them ahead of next week!

Just posted up the grade boundaries thread for SQA :smile:

FTFY

Terrified about A level results day :s-smilie:, but I'll not hijack this thread...

How did everyone find the SQA results? (I'm hoping if people are happy, it'll calm me a bit...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow. 60% for an A? What a joke
Calculator Paper for those interested, couldn't find non-calc paper: image.jpg
Attachment not found
edexcel sending.jpg edexcel sending.jpgedexcel sending.jpg

I got a B.
I'm finding it so unfair that the new higher has only 60% for an A but the new higher is 68%. They were both just as difficult with at least half of the questions being the same.
Edexcel maths please be this kind :smile:)))

Posted from TSR Mobile

These days you have people on Twitter moaning to @Edexcel @OCR @AQA just to lower grade boundaries.
Ha! Finally they admit it was too hard.
I sat the old Higher Maths and was distraught by the difficulty of the two papers, with the second being the worst. Well it turns out that I got an A anyway, but I still know some people who didn't.
I must say that I'm a bit surprised by the differences in the A boundaries. The old Higher was only 2% below the "normal" A percentage?
Very strange.
I don't think it's been mentioned since not many people take it, but this year's AH Stats paper was also incredibly difficult. The A mark is 57%.
Reply 14
Im not being rude, just curious since i only just got nat 5 results...
The new higher maths pass mark for a C grade was 34% WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! I know people in the year above me who would've gotten 34% in the pre lim and wouldn't be allowed to sit the final exam but that in the sqa exam would get them a C!
Just my personal opinions isn't this extremely low or was it really impossible as i don't know since i didn't sit it
SausageMan's photos aren't sharp enough to see, but to me it just looks like "too hard" means "I have to actually think" or "I need an excuse for my failings"
Original post by Nysm1501
I'm finding it so unfair that the new higher has only 60% for an A but the new higher is 68%. They were both just as difficult with at least half of the questions being the same.

They also take into account how well people actually did. It could be others did better in the Old Higher Maths than those doing the new Higher Maths. There's a lot of factors involved :tongue:
Original post by Jammy Duel
SausageMan's photos aren't sharp enough to see, but to me it just looks like "too hard" means "I have to actually think" or "I need an excuse for my failings"

I actually thought the exam was hard and i got an A.

Tbh, i believe the SQA should have made it fairer on old higher pupils. But... Nothing i can do about that.
Original post by She-Ra

I think students and everyone else should quit whinging about this exam being too hard. Everyone who sat the paper was in the same boat, and results will reflect the abilities of each student for once.
I really hope Edexcel do this with their higher GCSE Maths or else results day won't be so good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending