The Student Room Group

Getting a job at 16.

Hi all,

I was just wondering, does anybody know of any retail companies that take on 16 year olds; or any companies that are more inclined to take on 16 year olds than others?

I would really appreciate your help - and any other advice and tips about job hunting.

Thank you and Kind Regards.
Reply 1
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

I was just wondering, does anybody know of any retail companies that take on 16 year olds; or any companies that are more inclined to take on 16 year olds than others?

I would really appreciate your help - and any other advice and tips about job hunting.

I know people at john Lewis, waitrose, homebase and co-op

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cal1999
Hi all,

Hey

I work at a John Lewis, and have done for a year now, and can comfortably say its a really good job. Flexible hours, good pay and training, looks great on a CV. However, I didn't just fall into it. Two summers ago I went down to my local mechanics and asked about the possibility of a summer job, cleaning and making coffee. Instead, I was paid £3.50 an hour to train as a mechanic, and for 6 weeks straight worked there. It was hard work, but I got paid for my efforts and it was invaluable experience. - You need to get early experience and actually take something from it

The next easter i trained as a lifeguard, which opens up many more jobs. the downside to this is that its very expensive, takes a full week, and chances are you'll be asked to do early/very late shifts, which you can't by law. After very little success, I spent two days giving my CV to anyone I could - this is probably my recommendation, so you get coverage and meet people. I got a pull from Costa Coffee, who on the face of it seemed good, but I handed in my notice after 4 weeks, due to a bad manager, a zero hour contract (STAY AWAY FROM THEM) and a crap working environment. I applied to JL, and after an interview, got a job.

My tips then:
get early experience, whatever it is, just to show youre commited.
Build your CV early, and even consider working for free as a volunteer or on work experience
get a qualification - shows youre comitted, and opens up new doors
accept that only 1 in every 100 chances may pay off.... any more question i'll happily reply
I know this might not be much help now but next employ people with no experience during their Christmas sales and it's a good way to get into retail. Otherwise, do you have any local farms? My local runs a maize maize and employs almost entirely school people because of the minimum wage being so low. Otherwise just keep applying, see if there's anyone in school who can help with your cv :smile:
I work at TESCOs and there are a few 16 year olds working in the shop:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by brimstone131
Hey

I work at a John Lewis, and have done for a year now, and can comfortably say its a really good job. Flexible hours, good pay and training, looks great on a CV. However, I didn't just fall into it. Two summers ago I went down to my local mechanics and asked about the possibility of a summer job, cleaning and making coffee. Instead, I was paid £3.50 an hour to train as a mechanic, and for 6 weeks straight worked there. It was hard work, but I got paid for my efforts and it was invaluable experience. - You need to get early experience and actually take something from it

The next easter i trained as a lifeguard, which opens up many more jobs. the downside to this is that its very expensive, takes a full week, and chances are you'll be asked to do early/very late shifts, which you can't by law. After very little success, I spent two days giving my CV to anyone I could - this is probably my recommendation, so you get coverage and meet people. I got a pull from Costa Coffee, who on the face of it seemed good, but I handed in my notice after 4 weeks, due to a bad manager, a zero hour contract (STAY AWAY FROM THEM) and a crap working environment. I applied to JL, and after an interview, got a job.

My tips then:
get early experience, whatever it is, just to show youre commited.
Build your CV early, and even consider working for free as a volunteer or on work experience
get a qualification - shows youre comitted, and opens up new doors
accept that only 1 in every 100 chances may pay off.... any more question i'll happily reply

I have had 4 jobs - 3 payed and 1 voluntary.

I have been a newspaper distributor for 1 year

Then I worked for another company as the same thing for 3 years

Then I was a Data Analyst for 1 year

Now I do the odd bit of volunteering.

I have applied for countless jobs online, including John Lewis;however, I never, ever get anywhere!

Quick Reply

Latest