The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
zackinbaltimore
Oh really? Ok. I'm a little impartial, because I've been around Hopkins all my life, and I know a lot of the people, and so I know them more for their personal qualities rather than their academic ones. I'd say that some of Hopkins's overlaps would be WashU in St. Louis, Tufts, Northwestern, and perhaps NYU. To me, it doesn't seem like the kind of place that draws on the overacheiver, top of the class, 800 math/verbal, super kids that the Ivies and some of the other draw on. Hopkins looks for regular people who happen to be smart.

If that puts it in the top 20, then I'm actually suprised. I... just never knew Hopkins like that.

PS: Its library is really cool. I was there this weekend looking for books on Nigerian Theatre, and they have those awesome movable shelves that I like.

Hopkins is a very very good uni. It's the very first so-called "research" uni in the US. Definitely better than NYU overall. Hopkins is best known for its medical studies, but its arts and humanities are very very strong as well--at least on PhD levels.
Reply 21
The Orientalist
Imperial is ranked 65th? What social sciences does it do?!

Apparently, the Times Higher Education Supplement World Unis rankings are crap. In 2005, they even ranked LSE 9th in Arts and Humanities. LSE is a great uni in social sciences for sure, but what arts and huamanities subjects does LSE do other than philosophy and perhaps history (LSE's history dept is actually based more on social sciences)?
The Orientalist
Imperial is ranked 65th? What social sciences does it do?!

Business?
Reply 23
http://www.politicalstudies.org/pdf/psr/hix.pdf

Scroll down to page 12. This study is far from perfect, but it's better and more detailed than the other ones out there.
shady lane
Business?

Mmm...Didn't know Imperial had a business school :redface:. Can't believe it's rated so highly for social sciences though. It's impossible! Like pharmakos said, these tables are a bit weird.
since were talking about rankings...i know that you guys mentioned before that its more about the university prestige than department..but still how are these ranked roughly for economics:

University of Pennsylvania
Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown
Columbia
Duke
Berkley
JHU.

thanks.

also is there any point applying to LACs if we are going to go back to UK afterwards (im talking eg Amherst, Williams, HAverford etc)
Reply 26
The Orientalist
Mmm...Didn't know Imperial had a business school :redface:. Can't believe it's rated so highly for social sciences though. It's impossible! Like pharmakos said, these tables are a bit weird.

Imperial does have a business school. But anyone who has a brain would know that business alone--no matter how good--is not enough to put a uni on the map of social sciences--otherwise London Business School would be at least on the THES social sciences rankings and better ranked than Imperial.

I don't even have to mention that business isn't even a hard-core social sciences subject and that Imperial's business school isn't so good.
Reply 27
What the hell. Essex is ranked at 16th in that table, with Oxford at 19th. Glad to see Bristol is 34th though. How hard is it to get into a top ten grad IR program in the US if you were rejected from the Oxford bandwagon and you're probably going to do politics at Bristol?
Reply 28
Why don't you just go somewhere good in the UK and spend a lot less time/money?
Reply 29
There are a number of reasons as to why I'm considering it. I've spent a lot of my life abroad and like seeing new cultures / living in different places. Also, I think it would be a very interesting experience studying IR from an American perspective. It's also something to differentiate me from other students. And money is an issue, but isn't a big obstacle / my parents are prepared to support me to an extent or i can just use my student loans from my UG degree that I'm not going to use.
Reply 30
abrp
since were talking about rankings...i know that you guys mentioned before that its more about the university prestige than department..but still how are these ranked roughly for economics:

Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown
Columbia
Duke
Berkley
JHU.

thanks.

also is there any point applying to LACs if we are going to go back to UK afterwards (im talking eg Amherst, Williams, HAverford etc)

You have to understand how the system works. You don't (generally) go to a school just for one major, unless you're totally sure that you want to be that. Most US High School students don't go to College knowing what they're going with their lives. As such, we don't really have a system of ranking which schools are good in specific areas. We'll say that some schools are "strong in" certain majors, like Tufts and JHU, which have strong International Relations departments, but it's not as important as it seems to be in the UK.

After saying all of that, however, econ is a pretty strong major pretty much anywhere you go.

About the Lib Arts places, they might not have a strong reputation outside of the US, but they'll sure as hell make sure that you're a smart, competent, and well-rounded human being. To me, it sounds like you can't really go wrong from there...

One major motif that keeps coming up here is that British students are so career-minded. But let's not get off topic.

JHU is great. I was just in the JHU dorms the other day, and some are really nice, and the others are pretty average for colleges.

yea..maybe about the whole Major thing..but Economics is the only thing im really intrested in...possibly politics..but then again only a combination of the two...im also quite intrested in Philosophy but only at a "reading a book by Nietzsche/Plato/Aristotle etc down by the fire place in the evening"...:smile:
Reply 32
abrp

Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown
Columbia
Duke
Berkley
JHU.

thanks.

Harvard and Chicago are #1 and 2. Columbia and Berkeley aren't far behind. UPenn has a great business program, but not necessarily a great economics program. JHU and Cornell are above average. The other ones on your list are better than those two, but far below Columbia and Berkeley.
thanks Bismark :yy:

will employers in England take that into consideration or will they just consider overall Uni rep? What about in America?

and yea..i forgot to add Chicago there...im planning on applying there...not for Havard though...

so overall out of my choices for Economics deps it would be:

Chicago
Columbia/Berkeley
|
|
|
Duke/Brown/Dartmouth
Cornell / JHU

so would it look better on an application form/cv if i went to Chicago rather than an Ivy such as Dartmouth/Cornell/Brown (which you say are worse for economics)?
Reply 34
I think the reputation of the university is more important than the reputation of the program. This is more true in Britain than it is in the US, but going to a top-notch university will still help your career far more than going to a top-notch program in the US. For that reason, I'd probably put Columbia above Chicago.

Columbia
Chicago
Berkeley
|
|
|
Duke/Brown/Dartmouth
Cornell / JHU
so the Ivys arent infact considered the be and end all in USA (+ obvs mit, stanford ) ? when i was talking to City Trader (investment banker on IB forum) he said that to get top job in UK banks you have had to gone to Ivy :s-smilie:.

which is why i actually thought places like Brown would be top of that list.
Reply 36
abrp
so the Ivys arent infact considered the be and end all in USA (+ obvs mit, stanford ) ? when i was talking to City Trader (investment banker on IB forum) he said that to get top job in UK banks you have had to gone to Ivy :s-smilie:.

which is why i actually thought places like Brown would be top of that list.

Not really. They're only called Ivies because they're in the same sports division...

Even though the university's reputation is more important than the program's, I really have never heard of Brown having a good eco program. All the top economists are in Chicago, Harvard, Columbia, and Berkeley. MIT is actually really good for eco as well (and overall), but it heavily emphasizes statistics and math. Of course if you're good at those things, you have no reason not to apply there.

Columbia is really picky by the way, because everyone wants to study in New York (it's why NYU, which is mediocre, is harder to get into than it should be). It might be as hard as to get into Harvard.
abrp

Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown
Columbia
Duke
Berkley
JHU.

thanks.

You can take my advice or leave it, but it is never a good idea to select a university solely based on prestige. It doesn't matter whether you are British, American, Canadian, etc. There have been very successful people at prestigious places; there have been billionaires who have gone to "lesser" schools. The name on your degree will help you get a foot in the door early on, but after a point, it more boils down to you and your innate talent. Studies have shown people who have gotten into Harvard, ect. and have chosen to attend another school for some reason have not been put at a disadvantage in their earning potential. This is because the person already has the talents to succeed in whatever environment they are thrust in.

By all means, go to the prestigious university with the great econ department. But don't let that be the deciding factor. Location, student body, party atmosphere, and everything else are SO important. I had so many peers fall into the trap of deciding early on it was prestigious school or die trying to get in, and it just made me worry for their sanity. Never go anywhere just for the name on a degree, go for the amazing experience and the things you will learn.

All of the above would be excellent schools, though I don't believe Brown is known for econ. If I were you, I wouldn't pass up Amherst or Williams or Haverford or Swarthmore because you are worried about the weight the name will carry on your UK CV. All of these schools will make you an articulate, thoughtful, intelligent sounding person, which I think is the goal.
If you want to work in the UK, I think you should consider university reputation very carefully. You'd be paying quite a lot of money, and honestly more British employers have heard of Queen Mary than Swarthmore, despite the fact that Swarthmore is miles better academically.
well after thinking about it i think im gonna apply to:

Uni of Penn.
Columbia
Brown
Dartmouth (college)
Cornell
Duke
Chicago.

even if they all reject me :frown: ...still be ok...nearly 60% decided on taking one either way.

Latest

Trending

Trending