The Student Room Group

Tuition Fee £0.00

Hey
So firstly back in 2012 I went to one university and I dropped out as I didn't enjoy the class of course. So I went to a different university for two years and unfortunately I got withdrawn from the course for plagiarism.
So this year I have got myself on another course at another university starting from year 1 again but student finance has said they would not pay my tuition fees and I don't know what to do or is there any other loan company I can get a loan from to pay the course fees.
Reply 1
Hi
I was in a similar position. I did two years of a course but dropped out due to health. SFE wont fund a first year if you have done two years, they should fund you from year 2 though (I'd ring and check).

You can either apply for a private loan, look into grants/bursaries from charities etc or save up. For the private loan I'd suggest either going to a bank or there are some uk companys. Obviously most have intetest higher than SFE and other clauses.
Reply 2
Original post by Kalkerwelly
Hey
So firstly back in 2012 I went to one university and I dropped out as I didn't enjoy the class of course. So I went to a different university for two years and unfortunately I got withdrawn from the course for plagiarism.
So this year I have got myself on another course at another university starting from year 1 again but student finance has said they would not pay my tuition fees and I don't know what to do or is there any other loan company I can get a loan from to pay the course fees.

The calculation for your lifetime's entitlement to SF is:

Number of years of new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (plus) One year

If you dropped out of your first attempt after the start of the second year, that means you've had 4 years of uni-level study as SF count partial years as full years. The calculation gives you 3-4+1=0 years of funding left. You will have used your lifetime entitlement and can't get any more. If you left your first uni during the first year or before the start of your second year, then you should have 1 year of SF entitlement remaining. However, this will be given for your third year and you would have to pay for the first and second years yourself.

There is no other reputable source of undergraduate funding. You won't get a bank loan. The only one available for study is the Professional & Career Development Loan from Barclays or the Co-Op Bank, which you can't get for an undergrad degree.

University bursaries for low-income households are based on your entitlement to SF. If you don't get SF, then you won't get the bursary. There are some for things like sporting or academic excellence, but they are rarely worth more than a couple of thousand pounds.

There are private student loan companies, but they're the equivalent of payday lenders. They charge punitive levels of interest, expect you to start repaying whilst you're still studying, and never get written off like SF does. They're a sure way to land yourself in a spiral of debt which can last decades.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kalkerwelly
unfortunately I got withdrawn from the course for plagiarism.

Unfortunately? If you actually plagiarised, that's not bad fortune. That's your fault.
Reply 4
I didn't plagiarise and I was the only one in a group that got accused of it and found guilty of someone else work that wasn't mine and they didn't investigate any of the other group members or found out what they did in the group they just placed it all on me. I am appealing and hired a lawyer to defend my case and hoping to have it reversed but I don't think it will do much as you can't really take on a university. I could pay the tuition fee if I want and fund myself but don't really want to as that's a lot of money to put down and rather loan it if I can.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending