The Student Room Group

How to host a good house party?

So after about 2 years of begging my parents have finally given in to allowing me to have a house party for my 17th birthday. They have said I am allowed the kitchen, the dining room, the downstairs toilet, hallway and the garden. I am not sure on numbers but I am thinking around 30? I won't be providing alcohol, but will provide snacks and soft drinks/mixers. Is there any major dos or don't's for these parties? 3 friends will be sleeping over and we will mostly clear up on the night and any excess the following morning. Do I decorate ? How much in advance should I invite people?

Scroll to see replies

Supply alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by espicton98
So after about 2 years of begging my parents have finally given in to allowing me to have a house party for my 17th birthday. They have said I am allowed the kitchen, the dining room, the downstairs toilet, hallway and the garden. I am not sure on numbers but I am thinking around 30? I won't be providing alcohol, but will provide snacks and soft drinks/mixers. Is there any major dos or don't's for these parties? 3 friends will be sleeping over and we will mostly clear up on the night and any excess the following morning. Do I decorate ? How much in advance should I invite people?

I'd say to create an event on facebook and invite the people there. Then you'd have an idea of how many people are going to turn up and they can also contact you if anything happens or if they want to ask something. I've been joint host to a lot of house parties and i feel like it works easier this way :smile: as for decorating, I would only do it if there was a theme to the party... Just lay down a few rules though like make sure everyone has had something to eat so they dont throw up everywhere and if they do throw up then make sure they know where the cleaning stuff is :wink: also, make sure there's water handy just incase some people get too paraletic, and yeah... other than that, just make sure you have lots of music and dont drink too much yourself as you'll be cleaning up after :P have fun!
Booze, nik naks and yes, more booze.
Reply 4
Original post by pingew
I'd say to create an event on facebook and invite the people there. Then you'd have an idea of how many people are going to turn up and they can also contact you if anything happens or if they want to ask something. I've been joint host to a lot of house parties and i feel like it works easier this way :smile: as for decorating, I would only do it if there was a theme to the party... Just lay down a few rules though like make sure everyone has had something to eat so they dont throw up everywhere and if they do throw up then make sure they know where the cleaning stuff is :wink: also, make sure there's water handy just incase some people get too paraletic, and yeah... other than that, just make sure you have lots of music and dont drink too much yourself as you'll be cleaning up after :P have fun!

Thanks !!!! I wasn't going to decorate big time but was thinking about maybe some outside fairy lights or something?
Reply 5
Original post by spurs9393
Supply alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been to a fair amount of parties and none of them have supplied alcohol
Lots of food. Cake specifically. And invite me.

Invite people a few weeks in advance so they don't make other plans. Don't leave it last minute. Make sure they know they can't sleep over.
Reply 7
Thanks !!!! I wasn't going to decorate big time but was thinking about maybe some outside fairy lights or something?

Yeah, if its outside then that would be great! If you have a gazebo and lots of deck chairs/garden chairs that would be good too as sometimes people just want to talk later into the night and it'll be a nice place for them to do it, instead of people stood around in groups in your kitchen :P and to be honest i dont think you should supply alcohol because not only is it expensive to supply that for 30 people but you're already giving them a place to have a good time and you're providing food for them too. Ive never been to a party where they've supplied alcohol either, although one of the one's ive hosted (which was a halloween one) we did have a punch bowl with lemonade and vodka (not too much) and people really liked that. I also put a bit of red food colouring since it was halloween, so it went with the 'blood' theme haha, but yeah... I agree with you not providing alcohol :h:
If there's no alcohol then it'll be a pretty boring house party :lol:
Can't believe no one has mentioned it but GET GOOD SPEAKERS! I can't stress how much difference good music can make to a party. A party with no music or **** music is going to be crap.

Prepare some drinking games (ring of fire, etc etc) when there are only a couple of people to get people drinking.

Don't supply booze. People will steal from others anyway.

Some light snacks would be good actually
Original post by Precious Illusions
Lots of food. Cake specifically. And invite me.

Invite people a few weeks in advance so they don't make other plans. Don't leave it last minute. Make sure they know they can't sleep over.

Yeah cake is my thing so there will be plentiful and of course you can come lol:wink: and okay thankyou
Perhaps actually get people to attend it? :innocent:

Allowing them to make a mess will make things go smoothly too x
Original post by pingew
Yeah, if its outside then that would be great! If you have a gazebo and lots of deck chairs/garden chairs that would be good too as sometimes people just want to talk later into the night and it'll be a nice place for them to do it, instead of people stood around in groups in your kitchen :P and to be honest i dont think you should supply alcohol because not only is it expensive to supply that for 30 people but you're already giving them a place to have a good time and you're providing food for them too. Ive never been to a party where they've supplied alcohol either, although one of the one's ive hosted (which was a halloween one) we did have a punch bowl with lemonade and vodka (not too much) and people really liked that. I also put a bit of red food colouring since it was halloween, so it went with the 'blood' theme haha, but yeah... I agree with you not providing alcohol :h:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention we are putting up a gazebo ! We have a raised patio area with lots of chairs and I think we should have more garden chairs in the sheds somewhere ! That's good idea! I was thinking of possibly making jelly vodka shots and offering one ? Punch sounds a good idea as well! And yeah it would cost loads and on top of everyone bringing their own I can imagine it could get very messy or dangerous ahaha
Original post by Valyrian
If there's no alcohol then it'll be a pretty boring house party :lol:

Everyone brings their own.
Everyone brings their own.

Do you not have any friends who are 18?
Alcohol and weed :coma:
At least according to my friends who drink and have many house parties
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Can't believe no one has mentioned it but GET GOOD SPEAKERS! I can't stress how much difference good music can make to a party. A party with no music or **** music is going to be crap.

Prepare some drinking games (ring of fire, etc etc) when there are only a couple of people to get people drinking.

Don't supply booze. People will steal from others anyway.

Some light snacks would be good actually

My own speakers are awful but my friend has some amazing ones and allow you to play stuff from your phone wirelessly at quite a distance so people can play whatever they want if they get fed up of the playlist, me and my friends are making one with upbeat recent stuff and then some of the classics everyone knows, then on the party fb event page I am going to offer for people to inbox me songs they would like on there
Original post by Valyrian
Do you not have any friends who are 18?

I will probably invite a few in the year above, but my birthday is next month so I'm not sure if any of them will have turned 18 yet, at all the parties I've been to everyone just brings their own alcohol
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Alcohol and weed :coma:
At least according to my friends who drink and have many house parties

Ahahaha I'm not having weed, I live in a neighbourhood that disapproves of parties and I'm sure they will probably call the police at some point and I don't fancy my parents going to prison for being responsible for drugs ahaha
I will probably invite a few in the year above, but my birthday is next month so I'm not sure if any of them will have turned 18 yet, at all the parties I've been to everyone just brings their own alcohol

Where do you live?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending