The Student Room Group

The Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - Rugby comes home

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
Other than accelerating into gaps, passing out of contact and not dropping the ball, what did they actually do that was that special?

It was pretty awesome all round tbh. One of the best displays of rugby I've seen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elzar
Not said anything? Attempt to redirect the ire of the situation towards themselves/rugby lawmakers by emphasising the fact that Joubert made the right decision with the information he saw and the available technology protocols he had? Accept that mistakes happen for a ref, it's seems like an impossible job, but acknowledge that mistakes go in favour of both teams and that Scotland did benefit in the same game?

I just think they should've backed their product a bit more rather than throwing libel at him. Who would start the process of becoming a rugby union referee having seen this episode?

If they hadn't have passed comment then they'd have been adjudged as trying to dodge the issue and with the evidence from videos as it is, had they tried to justify making the wrong decision (regardless how Joubert followed protocols - other than to confirm as they have done the situation re how he wasn't allowed to consult with the TMO) then that would have invited fiercer criticism and claiming that both sides had benefited from refereeing errors during the game wouldn't have done Joubert any good - it'd just make his performance seem worse.

Gob Bluth
On the flip side, if he didn't call a penalty and then replays suggested it was after, there'd be the same outrage.

However, there'd have been more justification to not give it if there was any element of doubt in Joubert's thought process as you can only give a decision if you're 100% sure. - All we can go on is that Joubert gave that penalty because he was certain it was a penalty - and as a sports ref myself I know it's not easy if someone believes you have made a mistake if and when you've given the decision because in your mind it was the correct course of action.

Any news on why he left so quickly without shaking hands. Hostile reactions shouldn't come into it. If anyone was vitriolic and abusive then they'd be punished and rightly so. - No one should be above criticism for bad days at the office
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
It was pretty awesome all round tbh. One of the best displays of rugby I've seen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lethal it was though margins like that as I said shouldn't be occurring at the quarter-final stages of this tournament.
Original post by cole-slaw
Other than accelerating into gaps, passing out of contact and not dropping the ball, what did they actually do that was that special?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrESgjAqfQ
Really good piece here from Brian Moore discussing the possibility of a "Plate World Cup", much like they have in 7's. Seems a no brainier to me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11946136/Rugby-World-Cup-A-secondary-plate-trophy-is-a-winner-for-teams-fans-and-the-tournament-itself.html

Don't know what I enjoyed more there; the Milner-Skudder step, the Carter offload or Savea running through French defenders in Lomu-esque fashion.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Don't know what I enjoyed more there; the Milner-Skudder step, the Carter offload or Savea running through French defenders in Lomu-esque fashion.

While all three had great games (as did the whole team tbf) my man of the match was Nonu. Had he not knocked on, that would've been some individual performance!
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
While all three had great games (as did the whole team tbf) my man of the match was Nonu. Had he not knocked on, that would've been some individual performance!

Him and Conrad Smith the best centre partnership of all time? No other combo springs to mind although my knowledge probably goes back to 03, at best.
Him and Conrad Smith the best centre partnership of all time? No other combo springs to mind although my knowledge probably goes back to 03, at best.

Probably. The whole squad has to be one of the best of all time!
Probably. The whole squad has to be one of the best of all time!

Be interesting to see how they cope with the loss of McCaw, Carter, Nonu and Smith etc in years to come. They've got talented players lying in wait, but losing that quality can't be overcome overnight.
Those back-hand offloads look fancy, but they're really not difficult at all.
Cole-slaw 4 England

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpg

Made me chuckle.

Sorry for poor quality, couldn't get the URL.
Rugby folk of TSR, I need your help. As a few of you know, there was a dream team available for this World Cup. And whilst I've done well so far, my brother has done significantly better and I need to make up ~70 points across the next 4 games. I need a team that will get me points but without a fair few of the mainstream players, as he'll have them and that won't help me. At the same time I don't want to pick a side that will get me crushed, so a happy medium is what I'm shooting for. So I've gone with this;

Mtarawrira, Du Plesis, Ayeraza
Lavanini, Etzebeth,
Hooper, McCaw, Read.
Aaron Smith
Carter (c)
Nonu, Kuridrani
Milner-skudder, Imhoff, Cordero.

The big move is no Savea, as he'll be his captain and I'm praying he has a bad game. Thoughts? Not sure on what 10 to go with, and Folau surely due to good game??
Rugby folk of TSR, I need your help. As a few of you know, there was a dream team available for this World Cup. And whilst I've done well so far, my brother has done significantly better and I need to make up ~70 points across the next 4 games. I need a team that will get me points but without a fair few of the mainstream players, as he'll have them and that won't help me. At the same time I don't want to pick a side that will get me crushed, so a happy medium is what I'm shooting for. So I've gone with this;

Mtarawrira, Du Plesis, Ayeraza
Lavanini, Etzebeth,
Hooper, McCaw, Read.
Aaron Smith
Carter (c)
Nonu, Kuridrani
Milner-skudder, Imhoff, Cordero.

The big move is no Savea, as he'll be his captain and I'm praying he has a bad game. Thoughts? Not sure on what 10 to go with, and Folau surely due to good game??

Sanchez at 10?
Sanchez at 10?

He's currently my back up and he's very tempting. Doesn't seem to miss! The only reason I've got Carter atm is because I think he's more of a try threat, perhaps.
Reply 596
Yasss
The Boks are in the lead.
Hopefully they don't muck up in the last minutes like in the pre WC friendlies against the Blacks and Aussies :crossedf:

Edit: :frown::frown:
Good luck NZ
(edited 8 years ago)
Wasn't pretty but job done by New Zealand.
Deserved
Pocock is just sublime

Quick Reply

Latest