The Student Room Group

English Literature??

Hi there
I'm an international student currently in Colombo, Sri Lanka
I am doing my O Levels this year, and will have to choose my A Level subjects soon
I am interested in medicine, and am most likely to follow this career
I want to know whether it would be worthwhile taking English Literature as well as the four sciences (Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys)
Will it give one an advantage to have a strong arts subject as well as the sciences?
Also, will further maths help me?
Thanks in advance
I would rather have English literature with those subjects than further maths, for various reasons:
1) Shows variety etc
2) Not counted as a separate subject by lots of medical school
3) What I currently feel about Further Maths :p:
Reply 2
Thanks for the prompt reply =)
Do Oxbridge count it as a separate subject?
The one exception :wink:
Well done :smile:
Reply 4
Hehe yay =)
lol well i still dunno whether ill do further maths, seeing as its gonna be a heavy workload with bio,phys,chem,phys and lit
thats if i get an A for O level lit *-)
Reply 5
I do english lit! (and german as another arts subject) Do english lit if you're certain you can cope with the sophistication and volume of work - definately the biggest jump for me. It was dumb of me to carry it on, as I will probably get a B this year and could jepordse my chances of getting into med school. But it will definately look better than further maths if you're chosing between them.
Reply 6
If you're applying from overseas, then eng lit will help show that you're english is very good, which is obviously be something the med schools want to make sure about.

Plus, I think med schools do like applicants to show art/science variety in their a-levels especially as you're doing all science and maths anyway

Finally, O-levels are called GCSEs now:smile:
Reply 7
Hehe very nice of u to notice the GCE part =)
I'm actually doing GCE O level in all subjects apart from IT and german (GCSE there) =)
While it isn't done in England, Edexcel does offer it in other countries =) and it is considered rather a bit harder that GCSEs....
anyway, I am actually a British citizen and even though im Sri Lankan, I only moved here 4 years ago (from the UK)...so I hope that'll prove to unis that my english is good
also I believe I am receiving the English Language prize from my school (unless they have some trick up their sleeve - not a very reliable school)
Reply 8
and yes the only problem will be if i can't make the A grade for literature - im naturally better at the sciences and do find lit quite tough at times but im getting the hang of it, just a mark or 2 below the A grade on my essays now (and this is GCE O level lit - such tough marking!)
Reply 9
I got high A in my english lit gcse (A* in the mock grrr), and I find english lit A level very hard. Think carefully especially if you're a foreign student (despite you being a British citizen if ya get me :wink: ). Then again, english lit is a great subject so maybe for recreational purposes you could take it.
Take English Lit, it will demonstrate a broad grasp of knowledge and show you're english is first rate :biggrin:
Yup they still offer O levels there . I found that out because I was like "wtf?" when I saw it on Edexcels website.
Reply 12
Hmm well I guess I'll see if I get an A for English Literature O Level (because apparently the standard for O Level is only a little lower that A Level - Im not talking about GCSE here)
Reply 13
I did English Lit at A2 & thought it worthwhile:

- I enjoyed it!
- Continued formal essay writing was probably helpful to my entrance exam performance - probably more relevant if you're applying to BMAT than UKCAT universities?)
- It was something a bit different to talk about in inteviews if they asked about 6th form/A2 skills. I also did my A2 coursework piece on the representation of the medical profession in our set texts which we chatted about in one.
- I felt more confident about my grades in it than other sciencey subjects & my medical school offers were mostly 'untagged' so it was reassuring in making the offers! :smile:
I'm doing english literature at the moment and am fnding one of, if not the most, enjoyable subjects.

Latest

Trending

Trending