The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

I'm a student at Royal Holloway: ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Butterfly92xo
Do you accept Level 2 Basic Maths and Level 2 English NCFE certificate as an equivalent GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

It is unlikely that we will be able to accept these are direct equivalents to GCSEs but if you are interested in applying please do call our Admissions team on +44 (0)1784 414944 to discuss your existing qualifications, what you are studying now, and the programmes you are interested in to see if we can help.

Simon
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by phoenixsilver
Care to tell me why there were 7 months of roadworks at the Englefield Green crossroads junction next to Holloway? All they installed was a new path and some curly traffic lights!
(I live nearby)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

According to Surrey County Council a deal of work has been carried out in phases to widen the carriageway, create a new footpath, divert water mains, install drainage and modify the traffic lights at the A30 Egham Hill junction. For further information please do contact the council as this work is not carried out on behalf of Royal Holloway, University of London.

Simon
Do I need to bring washing machine powders and softers as well as everything to make the bed ?
How much is food at the founders hall if you're a catered student? I'm just curious as to how much each meal will cost me.
Original post by Berkmann18
Do I need to bring washing machine powders and softers as well as everything to make the bed ?

Hi there,

Yes, you will need to provide your own laundry detergent. There are a number of laundrettes on campus near to each hall of residence for you to do your laundry. You will be able to pick up detergent either from the Union Shop, which is Royal Holloway's onsite convenience store, or in Englefield Green or Egham.

I hope that helps!

Camilla
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

Yes, you will need to provide your own laundry detergent. There are a number of laundrettes on campus near to each hall of residence for you to do your laundry. You will be able to pick up detergent either from the Union Shop, which is Royal Holloway's onsite convenience store, or in Englefield Green or Egham.

I hope that helps!

Camilla

Okay thank you.
Original post by gloriabristow
How much is food at the founders hall if you're a catered student? I'm just curious as to how much each meal will cost me.

Hi Gloria,

If you are in catered halls and use your pay as you go campus account card (the college card that you will receive when enrolling), you will receive a 50% discount in each of the catering outlets.

On average you would expect to pay around £2.50 per meal for a meat main course with 2 sides.

For example, this would be made up from
Chicken main: £3.60 cash / £3.00 self-catered student / £1.50 catered student
New Potatoes: £1.04 cash/87p self-catered student/43p catered student
Sweetcorn 80p cash / 67p self-catered student / 34p catered student

A campus value plate is also offered, which is a main course with two sides for £2.25.

Remember to top up your college card- which can be done either online or on a top up machine on campus - to ensure that you receive your discount!

I hope this helps!

Camilla
Reply 27
Hi Gloria,

If you are in catered halls and use your pay as you go campus account card (the college card that you will receive when enrolling), you will receive a 50% discount in each of the catering outlets.

On average you would expect to pay around £2.50 per meal for a meat main course with 2 sides.

A campus value plate is also offered, which is a main course with two sides for £2.25.

Remember to top up your college card- which can be done either online or on a top up machine on campus - to ensure that you receive your discount!

I hope this helps!

Camilla

Hi, sorry to be a pain, I was just wondering what the meal options are like; specifically are vegetarian options offered?
Original post by 22.22
Hi, sorry to be a pain, I was just wondering what the meal options are like; specifically are vegetarian options offered?

Hi there,

Yes, there will always be a vegetarian option on the menu.

Camilla
Reply 29
Hi there,

Yes, there will always be a vegetarian option on the menu.

Camilla

That's great, I assumed as much, thank you

So if my calculations are correct, any catered students at the Founders would pay £47.25 per week. Is that right ?
Reply 31
Concerning moving in tomorrow, I have family members that want to help me move in that can't fit inside our already permitted car. Is there anyway they can also park on campus or any where they can park off campus?

Similarly, I can't find any information if there is any process of allowing student visitors on campus during term time / Arrival day. For example I have a friend who want's to make the journey by train tomorrow and walk to campus, can he just walk on campus, does he need to go somewhere and would I have to meet him there ect?

Reply needed ASAP, thanks :smile:
Original post by Crambo
Concerning moving in tomorrow, I have family members that want to help me move in that can't fit inside our already permitted car. Is there anyway they can also park on campus or any where they can park off campus?

Similarly, I can't find any information if there is any process of allowing student visitors on campus during term time / Arrival day. For example I have a friend who want's to make the journey by train tomorrow and walk to campus, can he just walk on campus, does he need to go somewhere and would I have to meet him there ect?

If I recall it well, the persons coming with the fresher (so us), can only stay parked within the allocated arrival slot range and they must be gone by 6pm.
Original post by Crambo

It's unlikely that you'll be allowed to bring another car on campus since it will be packed anyway- moving day is a nightmare car-wise so it's unlikely they'll find anywhere on campus to park. Off-campus, there are a few places in the Egham area that they could park.

Student visitors are allowed but you don't need to tell the university or anything. They're not supposed to stay overnight (but it's not like the university would know unless you told them).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
If I recall it well, the persons coming with the fresher (so us), can only stay parked within the allocated arrival slot range and they must be gone by 6pm.

Original post by llacerta
It's unlikely that you'll be allowed to bring another car on campus since it will be packed anyway- moving day is a nightmare car-wise so it's unlikely they'll find anywhere on campus to park. Off-campus, there are a few places in the Egham area that they could park.

Student visitors are allowed but you don't need to tell the university or anything. They're not supposed to stay overnight (but it's not like the university would know unless you told them).

Okay thanks peeps!
Original post by Crambo
Okay thanks peeps!

You're welcome :smile:.
Hi will there be any pub crawls or people out drinking and getting messy today?
Original post by Stevie Gee
Hi will there be any pub crawls or people out drinking and getting messy today?

Have a look on your RHUL facebook freshers page, and post there.
So if my calculations are correct, any catered students at the Founders would pay £47.25 per week. Is that right ?

Hi,

It's difficult to indicate a specific figure as the amount students spend is hugely variable.

Students in catered halls have access to a pantry, and as such some will prepare some meals such as breakfast and/or lunch there rather than purchasing it in Founder's dining hall. Equally, some students prefer the ease of eating all meals in the dining hall.

The system is really flexible so it is up to you to decide where to eat!

Camilla
Hi,

It's difficult to indicate a specific figure as the amount students spend is hugely variable.

Students in catered halls have access to a pantry, and as such some will prepare some meals such as breakfast and/or lunch there rather than purchasing it in Founder's dining hall. Equally, some students prefer the ease of eating all meals in the dining hall.

The system is really flexible so it is up to you to decide where to eat!

Camilla

Okay :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending