The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

I'm a student at Royal Holloway: ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Hello

I have an issue I urgently need to discuss with you concerning UCAS and my app, is it okay if I can message you?

Thanks.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by augustusboi
Hello

I have an issue I urgently need to discuss with you concerning UCAS and my app, is it okay if I can message you?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Yes, please send me a message :smile:

Thanks,
Camilla
Hi,

Can I get a student Oyster card if I live in halls? I work in London and am from London originally but TFL says my application has been rejected and I need to try again. Am I not eligible because I live in halls???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by FindingHappiness
Hi,

Can I get a student Oyster card if I live in halls? I work in London and am from London originally but TFL says my application has been rejected and I need to try again. Am I not eligible because I live in halls???
Posted from TSR Mobile

Living on campus in Egham is outside of the london zones that the student oyster card is valid. Despite being a "university of london" it doesnt matter and none of us can get that card and you will lose your 20 pound fee.

The only options for cheaper fares into london are really railcards and season passes
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's in zone 6, then you would just waste money on that card otherwise you would consider getting it as well as a 16-25 railcard.
Original post by Berkmann18
If it's in zone 6, then you would just waste money on that card otherwise you would consider getting it as well as a 16-25 railcard.

Thanks guys 👍 unfortunately that is that £20 lost then. So annoying 😡 Nope, been travelling into zones 1-3...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
I just have a couple of question , I'm interested in economics . 1. How many hours of class , seminar etc do you have per week ? 2. what kind of people study there,, there are some unis famous for having posh students ..etc.. I just want to know if this kind of stereotypes exit at RHUL 3. Which the negative and positive aspects ? 4. quality of teaching ?
Original post by carola
I just have a couple of question , I'm interested in economics . 1. How many hours of class , seminar etc do you have per week ? 2. what kind of people study there,, there are some unis famous for having posh students ..etc.. I just want to know if this kind of stereotypes exit at RHUL 3. Which the negative and positive aspects ? 4. quality of teaching ?

I'm not an economics student but I would think you'd probably get 4 lectures and 4 seminars a week minimum. Plus workshops and guest lectures. Mixture of people really, neither posh nor really chavvy. Positives: One of the safest unis in the UK, really nice staff and students, real sense of community, lots of support systems.
Negatives: Egham is quite a rural area so really quiet and isolated, but that might be a pro for some.
Thanks guys 👍 unfortunately that is that £20 lost then. So annoying 😡 Nope, been travelling into zones 1-3...

You're welcome.
How's the social scene?
Which halls were/are you in and what are the dimensions of your desk? Just a rough estimate would still be really helpful if you don't know exactly. Thanks :smile:
Original post by compscii
Which halls were/are you in and what are the dimensions of your desk? Just a rough estimate would still be really helpful if you don't know exactly. Thanks :smile:

Hi there,

Students generally find the desks in their halls bedroom to be of a generous and suitable size. These do vary amongst different halls, so it would be difficult to give you an exact figure. If you are wondering if something specific might fit on the desks, let me know and I should be able to advise accordingly or investigate further.

Camilla :smile:
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

Students generally find the desks in their halls bedroom to be of a generous and suitable size. These do vary amongst different halls, so it would be difficult to give you an exact figure. If you are wondering if something specific might fit on the desks, let me know and I should be able to advise accordingly or investigate further.

Thanks Camilla :smile:
My predicament is that I'm a massive nerd and would be unhappy if I had to sacrifice some of my computer gear. I'm currently using 3 monitors and I don't know how I would live without them (they're just under 120cm wide in total). I don't suppose many students even have 2 monitors, let alone 3 :tongue:
Original post by compscii
Thanks Camilla :smile:
My predicament is that I'm a massive nerd and would be unhappy if I had to sacrifice some of my computer gear. I'm currently using 3 monitors and I don't know how I would live without them (they're just under 120cm wide in total). I don't suppose many students even have 2 monitors, let alone 3 :tongue:

The desks do vary in size but it is likely that you might be able to fit three screens.

Hope that helps!
Camilla
Reply 54
Hello! I got an unconditional offer yesterday by email (only if I firmed RH on UCAS) I instantly firmed my conditional offer yesterday but on UCAS it still says conditional... When will it show that my offer has turned into an unconditional offer?

Reema
Original post by Rjcx
Hello! I got an unconditional offer yesterday by email (only if I firmed RH on UCAS) I instantly firmed my conditional offer yesterday but on UCAS it still says conditional... When will it show that my offer has turned into an unconditional offer?

Reema

Hi Reema,

I can again confirm that this should be updated for you today. Unfortunately, it is not an instant process once you firm Royal Holloway. Once we are notified by UCAS that you have firmed your offer, we can update your offer. This is usually done within 3-4 working days of an applicant firming their offer.

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how easy it is to transfer courses after a few weeks at the uni?
I'm worried I've picked the wrong course and would want to move from psychology to English.
Original post by dormy1905
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how easy it is to transfer courses after a few weeks at the uni?
I'm worried I've picked the wrong course and would want to move from psychology to English.

If you do wish to transfer courses, it is always better to do this prior to enrolment. If this is something that you are thinking of already, then I would definitely suggest exploring your options now. It may be worth contacting English department ([email protected]), and taking a look at their departmental webpages to look at the course further. If you do decide to go ahead with this prior to enrolment, then contact our Admissions office ([email protected]/ 01784 41 4944) to discuss this.

If you do decide to you wish to transfer after you have started the course, then this would be assessed on a case by case basis and would be dependent on your existing qualifications, whether there is space on the course, and how much teaching you have missed.

Hi, I would like to know whether there are any rules regarding over-night visitors in the postgraduate halls. As a more mature student I am considering whether it would be better to live on campus or get a flat somewhere else. I would like to live on campus with other postgraduates but for me it is important that my boyfriend can visit me sometimes on the weekends and occasionally stay over night (while having his own flat in central London). If that is not possible I would not to decide for a uni accommodation, so that´s quiet important to me. Hope you can help me here.
Original post by LadyStrawberry
Hi, I would like to know whether there are any rules regarding over-night visitors in the postgraduate halls. As a more mature student I am considering whether it would be better to live on campus or get a flat somewhere else. I would like to live on campus with other postgraduates but for me it is important that my boyfriend can visit me sometimes on the weekends and occasionally stay over night (while having his own flat in central London). If that is not possible I would not to decide for a uni accommodation, so that´s quiet important to me. Hope you can help me here.

Unfortunately, the official line is that guests are not permitted in halls overnight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending