The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

I'm a student at Royal Holloway: ask me anything!

Hi all!

First of all, congratulations to everyone who got the results and are coming to Royal Holloway! We are really looking forward to welcoming you in September.

For those who may not have achieved their results and are considering Clearing - check our our vacancies list to see if any of our available programmes are of interest: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studyhere/adjustmentandclearing/2015clearingvacancies.aspx

Today I'm very excited to have Rawan with me - a Student Ambassador at Royal Holloway, who was the Charity and Volunteering Secretary and Social Secretary of our women's football club. She's here with me just for today to answer any questions you may have about Royal Holloway and student life!

Please post any questions you have for her below and she'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Emily

Scroll to see replies

One more thing -

We are hosting an interactive webinar this afternoon for all applicants who have gotten an offer with us via Clearing. It's a chance for you to find out more about getting accommodation now that you know you'll be coming to Royal Holloway, plus information on student life.

Webinar: Considering a place at Royal Holloway through Clearing
Time: 4-5pm today

Have fun!

Emily
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi all!

First of all, congratulations to everyone who got the results and are coming to Royal Holloway! We are really looking forward to welcoming you in September.

For those who may not have achieved their results and are considering Clearing - check our our vacancies list to see if any of our available programmes are of interest: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studyhere/adjustmentandclearing/2015clearingvacancies.aspx

Today I'm very excited to have Rawan with me - a Student Ambassador at Royal Holloway, who was the Charity and Volunteering Secretary and Social Secretary of our women's football club. She's here with me just for today to answer any questions you may have about Royal Holloway and student life!

Please post any questions you have for her below and she'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Emily

Thanks for doing this, Emily! I'm about to apply for accommodation, which would be the best band to go for? I'm looking for a single en-suite, catered or non-catered.

Kind regards,
Ian Tan
Original post by IanTan96
Thanks for doing this, Emily! I'm about to apply for accommodation, which would be the best band to go for? I'm looking for a single en-suite, catered or non-catered.

Kind regards,
Ian Tan

Hi Ian,

We have several bands on offer that meet the criteria you have specified but may vary in other factors such as price, location and let type.

Here is a list of all our halls of residences, all of them except for bands D, E, F, J and K are Single, En-suite.

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studyhere/accommodation/documents/pdfs/ugfeeshallbandsug15-16.pdf

Have a look at them and see which one suits you best!

I stayed in Founders in my first year as I based my decision mainly on price and location but unfortunately had to sacrifice the en-suite characteristic! It was a catered option which meant we received discounted costs for meals at Founders dining hall. This will be the same if you want for the single en-suite rooms in Reid Band H for example.

However, because you are applying for accommodation now you will be added to a waiting list which will be processed on a first come first serve basis. This is due to Royal Holloway being a popular choice this year and there may be limited rooms available at this stage. I recommend you also have a look at the private sector options we have available.

Here is the link to the private sector webpage for further information:

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studyhere/accommodation/privatesector.aspx

Best of luck,
Rawan
Reply 4
Hey guys, I was wondering how would transport from campus to Central London be like? I have quite a number of friend in Central London so I'm expecting to go there pretty often. What would be the cheapest and fastest way to get there?

I was thinking maybe a cab to Heathrow and take the tube from there?
Reply 5
For international business course how many times per week do u have to attend
Original post by IanTan96
Hey guys, I was wondering how would transport from campus to Central London be like? I have quite a number of friend in Central London so I'm expecting to go there pretty often. What would be the cheapest and fastest way to get there?

I was thinking maybe a cab to Heathrow and take the tube from there?

The quickest way would be to get the train from Egham to London Waterloo which takes 40 minutes, and from Waterloo you can get the tube to where you need to go. If you get a 16-25 railcard (about £30 for 1 year, or £70 for 3 years) you'll get a third off ticket prices which really makes such a difference, especially if you're going to be visiting your friends so often. You'll make back the money you spent on the card super quickly!

I would say to only get the train ticket to Waterloo and then use an Oyster Card on the tube/bus and you can link the railcard to that too so you get a third off oyster card fees when travelling at off peak times (between 10am and 4pm and between 7pm and 7am i think). Hope this helps x
Original post by Chickbass
For international business course how many times per week do u have to attend

Hi,

All students are required to spend approximately 35 hours of study at university. This is a mixture of lectures and seminars (contact hours) and self-guided study. Once you receive your timetable in September you'll be able to find out precisely how many contact hours per week you'll have.

Best,

Emily
Is there a travel card for students like the 18+ oyster card that will allow me to travel cheap and without having to buy each time a ticket ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Berkmann18
Is there a travel card for students like the 18+ oyster card that will allow me to travel cheap and without having to be each time a ticket ?

Hi,

Yes, there's the 16-25 railcard:
http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/

Or, you buy a season ticket which gives you discounted train fare and you don't need to buy a ticket every time you travel. Make sure it's worth the cost though by checking how often you'll travel and calculating the cost of an average journey.

Best,

Emily
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi,

Yes, there's the 16-25 railcard:
http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/

Or, you buy a season ticket which gives you discounted train fare and you don't need to buy a ticket every time you travel. Make sure it's worth the cost though by checking how often you'll travel and calculating the cost of an average journey.

Best,

Emily

Thank you :smile:
When do freshers have to be there?
Original post by Droidmatroid
When do freshers have to be there?

19th of September.
Original post by Berkmann18
Is there a travel card for students like the 18+ oyster card that will allow me to travel cheap and without having to be each time a ticket ?

If you open a santander student account they give you a free four year student rail card!
I have been allocated a room on the fourth floor of founders. I am really happy with that but would love to hear how others get all their stuff in/out every term? My parents are suggesting a sack trolley but it's still four flights of stairs - and no lift?!
Are you guys still accepting UCAS international (no-EU) for vacancies in clearing? and are the vacancies in UCAS clearing up to date? Thanks!
Do you accept Level 2 Basic Maths and Level 2 English NCFE certificate as an equivalent GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KAThomas123
I have been allocated a room on the fourth floor of founders. I am really happy with that but would love to hear how others get all their stuff in/out every term? My parents are suggesting a sack trolley but it's still four flights of stairs - and no lift?!

Hi,

Just to let you know there is lift access for rooms on floors 1-4 in the Founders building.

Hope that helps!

Simon
Care to tell me why there were 7 months of roadworks at the Englefield Green crossroads junction next to Holloway? All they installed was a new path and some curly traffic lights!
(I live nearby)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by augustusboi
Are you guys still accepting UCAS international (no-EU) for vacancies in clearing? and are the vacancies in UCAS clearing up to date? Thanks!

Hi,

We do have a small number of vacancies still available through clearing, so please do call our Admissions team on +44 (0)1784 414944 to discuss your options.

Best of luck!

Simon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending