The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What's it like studying Mathematics (BSc) at KCL?

I just want to know what the teaching and how much support is available to students. and give it a rating out of 10?
I completed a maths degree at KCL and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The teaching is really strong for your core modules and although your first year doesn't count for much, I would really look at ensuring that you do the best that you can :yep:

What are you looking forward to most regarding your degree?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Slowbro93
I completed a maths degree at KCL and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The teaching is really strong for your core modules and although your first year doesn't count for much, I would really look at ensuring that you do the best that you can :yep:

What are you looking forward to most regarding your degree?

how does it actually work? like the credits and all, im starting in september I have no clue how the grading or anything works
Original post by NeedAnswersASAP
how does it actually work? like the credits and all, im starting in september I have no clue how the grading or anything works

In terms of modules?
In terms of modules?

Yes
Original post by NeedAnswersASAP
Yes

You do 4 modules in each semester worth 15 credits each. In terms of exams, they are either usually 2 or 3 hours and you do 1 in January (Calculus 1) and 7 in the summer. You have no optional modules in first year, but in second year, you get the choice of 2/3. In final year, you can pick all your modules provided that they don't clash
Reply 6
You do 4 modules in each semester worth 15 credits each. In terms of exams, they are either usually 2 or 3 hours and you do 1 in January (Calculus 1) and 7 in the summer. You have no optional modules in first year, but in second year, you get the choice of 2/3. In final year, you can pick all your modules provided that they don't clash

which book did you use to revise for Calculus 1?
Reply 7
hi, im doing gonna do maths at KCL this september and I wanted to know how it how its like too, do you mind me asking you both what your grades were? and did you do STEP?
Original post by Ray7
A joke compared to the likes of Oxbridge, Imperial and Warwick.

The quality of the department is very strong and always improving. Oxbridge is way up there but kcl is at the level of ucl, durham and bath. Imperial and warwick are a step up but just a step up.
At the inter-london unversity mathematics olympiad kcl has placed ahead of ucl and lse for two years running. The level of the students at kcl is definitely up there.

Stop with this circle jerk of kcl bashing, its a top end university for mathematics. This thread is to help students with kcl firmed so this comment is unecessary. Silly child, grow up!!

Quick Reply

Latest