The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EternalKiss
Heyy everyone :biggrin: I'm EternalKiss and I'm going into year 10 in September. I absolutely love reading (I'm reading insurgent rn hehe) I am taking:
•Maths
•Science (Core additional and further additional)
•Rs (Religious studies)
•English (Lit and Language)
•History
•French
•Computing
Lol I just realised that I have quite a lot of subjects :biggrin: Anyway, tbh I have no Idea if I am ready for the change, its all a bit weird and complicated in my eyes. My favourite subjects are history and science as they are the subjects I do well in (also English). I dream of being in the army as a medic or a police officer. If that doesn't I want to be a clinical support worker in a hospital. I am pretty excited for year 10 :smile:

lol I'm taking exactly the same subjects as you apart from I'm taking electronics and I've already done my french:smile:
So... Do I need to do any preparation for going into Year 10... such as reading books?
Original post by EternalKiss
Heyy everyone :biggrin: I'm EternalKiss and I'm going into year 10 in September. I absolutely love reading (I'm reading insurgent rn hehe) I am taking:
•Maths
•Science (Core additional and further additional)
•Rs (Religious studies)
•English (Lit and Language)
•History
•French
•Computing
Lol I just realised that I have quite a lot of subjects :biggrin: Anyway, tbh I have no Idea if I am ready for the change, its all a bit weird and complicated in my eyes. My favourite subjects are history and science as they are the subjects I do well in (also English). I dream of being in the army as a medic or a police officer. If that doesn't I want to be a clinical support worker in a hospital. I am pretty excited for year 10 :smile:

:banana:Welcome to the club!:banana:
Original post by IftekharAhad
So... Do I need to do any preparation for going into Year 10... such as reading books?

I am preparing by reading my english books for the course. It is really up to you :smile:

I don't think that there is that much you can do! Like MrMackyTV has suggested, reading your English books is a good idea. + If you can, try to annotate them as it'll make classwork a lot easier for you.
You might want to look of things you may have struggled with in Year 9- mainly in the subjects you're taking. :h: Maybe read a book or two in the last week and a bit we have left of the holiday? :tongue: Hope this helps!

(Source: I'm going into Year 11. :tongue:)
Hi, I'm Toasty2001 and I am moving into year 10 in September. I think I am taking taking 11 GCSEs and hoping for top grades! The subjects I'm doing are:

English (lit & Lang)
Maths
Further maths
Triple science
Art & design (1 subject)
Electronic products
History
French

I hope to be in a science based career, after going to 6th form and uni. Personally regarding the new GCSEs what I want to know is usually students use past papers as a form of revision, although unless the exam board release any practice papers I feel that this will put at a disadvantage. Also I think that we're going to be strongly compared to the new year nines when they have their GCSEs results and our "old GCSEs" won't be valued as much in comparison. But besides the issues involved with the new GCSEs I think it'll be interesting as well as a lot of hard work.

For anyone else taking art, what art supplies have you bought?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Toastie2001
Hi, I'm Toasty2001 and I am moving into year 10 in September. I think I am taking taking 11 GCSEs and hoping for top grades! The subjects I'm doing are:

English (lit & Lang)
Maths
Further maths
Triple science
Art & design (1 subject)
Electronic products
History
French

I hope to be in a science based career, after going to 6th form and uni. Personally regarding the new GCSEs what I want to know is usually students use past papers as a form of revision, although unless the exam board release any practice papers I feel that this will put at a disadvantage. Also I think that we're going to be strongly compared to the new year nines when they have their GCSEs results and our "old GCSEs" won't be valued as much in comparison. But besides the issues involved with the new GCSEs I think it'll be interesting as well as a lot of hard work.

Welcome Aboard! :smile: Yes, the new GCSE changes does put us at a disadvantage for English Lit + Lan and Maths as they've changed the exam. From what I do know, the exam boards should have sample paper(s) for the new exams in English and Maths.

E.g Edexcel Maths -http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/GCSE-Mathematics-2015-SAM.pdf
Original post by JTran38
Welcome Aboard! :smile: Yes, the new GCSE changes does put us at a disadvantage for English Lit + Lan and Maths as they've changed the exam. From what I do know, the exam boards should have sample paper(s) for the new exams in English and Maths.

E.g Edexcel Maths -http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/GCSE-Mathematics-2015-SAM.pdf

Right, ok thanks! :smile:
Original post by Toastie2001

English (lit & Lang)
Maths
Further maths
Triple science
Art & design (1 subject)
Electronic products
History
French

:banana:Welcome to the club!:banana:
Lol I find it weird that we're going to get our results as a variety of grades and numbers:colondollar:
Lol I find it weird that we're going to get our results as a variety of grades and numbers:colondollar:

Same here!
Hi everyone
I am going to be doing 11 gcses in total, I am doing:
Separate sciences
Maths
English language
English literature
Spanish
French
Citizenship
Ocr philosophy and ethics
Geography

I am doing the citizenship and spanish at the end of year 10.
Original post by Cupcakes17
Hi everyone
I am going to be doing 11 gcses in total, I am doing:
Separate sciences
Maths
English language
English literature
Spanish
French
Citizenship
Ocr philosophy and ethics
Geography

I am doing the citizenship and spanish at the end of year 10.

Welcome Abroad! :smile:
Original post by JTran38
Welcome Abroad! :smile:

Thanks, I had to make a new account because I forgot my password to the last one in 5 minutes ( I have the memory of a goldfish 😂)
Original post by Cupcakes18
Thanks, I had to make a new account because I forgot my password to the last one in 5 minutes ( I have the memory of a goldfish 😂)

Oh dear ... Well welcome back to TBF in this case.
Could anyone recommend any good apps or websites so that I can refresh my knoledge for starting back at school?
Original post by Cupcakes18
Could anyone recommend any good apps or websites so that I can refresh my knowledge for starting back at school?

CGP App for Science - Highly recommended
http://www.passmyexams.co.uk/index.html - Great link for Science revision
MathsWatch (You need a log in)
BBC Bitesize
My GCSE Science (Both on Website and Youtube)
Original post by JTran38
BBC Bitesize

Thanks so much😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JTran38
BBC Bitesize

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JTran38
BBC Bitesize

Thank you 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest