The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey welcome to the year 10 thread.
How are your gcse's going?
I thought psychology is only taught at A-levels.
Original post by haseeb798
Hey welcome to the year 10 thread.
How are your gcse's going?
I thought psychology is only taught at A-levels.

I'm pretty sure psychology is offered at my school but I might be wrong. Sociology certainly is as it's either the most popular or the second most popular option!
Oh ok
So how are your gcse's going?
Hey guys,I'm 14 years old and in year 10.(Our school does GCSEs from year 9)
I'm doing 4 GCSEs, I'm taking History, Media Studies, Computing and PE.
My hobbies are playing video games and playing basketball.
To be honest I find the new GCSEs system confusing.
I'm really nervous about the exams.
The best subjects for me are, Computing, History, Media Studies and PE. My least favourite subject is English.
Anyone got any tips for GCSEs?
Thanks
Original post by Amir2001
The best subjects for me are, Computing, History, Media Studies and PE. My least favourite subject is English.
Thanks
Oh ok
So how are your gcse's going?

Some are going better than others. Computing is probably going the best as we're doing out CA (worth 60%). Biology is going worst (no surprise there for anyone who has read my GYGs thread) as we have a useless teacher and we had supply teachers all of last year when we were supposed to be covering core. If we want a chance of passing next year it will have to take up at least 5x the amount of time any other subject will :frown:
Thanks

Welcome!
We started most our GCSEs in year 9 as well. You confused me when you said you only took 4 GCSEs until I realised you meant 4 option subjects! I also take computing and history. Which exam boards?
Which exam board are you for English as well? There's quite a few of us doing AQA for English and I think a couple doing Edexcel.
Tips for GCSEs are on the first post by @MrMackyTv :smile:
Thanks

I will find some space to put some tips in the OP after school. At the moment I have got ot on my GYG thread.

I'll bring it here so it's easier for you:

Be persistent.

Use the Pomodoro Technique (google it if you don't know), it is a really effective way of getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time.

Listen to some Focus music on Spotify or something to help you concentrate!

Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.

If your struggling, ask the teacher (or friends) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...

Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, highlight important things to remember and keywords.

Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand (well I don't). Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.

I drank lots of caffeine (especially coffee because it is slow-release) during exam season to make me more alert and do stuff... quickly It actually helps most people but I wouldn't recommend drinking any quick-release caffeine or drinking it after noon because it is going to be hard to go to sleep.

On that note, get LOTS of sleep.

Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.

Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic... I am mostly a visual learner. Click here to do a small test to find out what kind of learner you are :smile:

BIG tip. Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it (like it did for me ).

Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail. (I freaked out in Paper 2 Maths test and I did bad, but not too bad because I somehow ranked 36/150 and moving up to set 2 )

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrMackyTv
I will find some space to put some tips in the OP after school. At the moment I have got ot on my GYG thread.

I'll bring it here so it's easier for you:

Be persistent.

Use the Pomodoro Technique (google it if you don't know), it is a really effective way of getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time.

Listen to some Focus music on Spotify or something to help you concentrate!

Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.

If your struggling, ask the teacher (or friends) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...

Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, highlight important things to remember and keywords.

Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand (well I don't). Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.

I drank lots of caffeine (especially coffee because it is slow-release) during exam season to make me more alert and do stuff... quickly It actually helps most people but I wouldn't recommend drinking any quick-release caffeine or drinking it after noon because it is going to be hard to go to sleep.

On that note, get LOTS of sleep.

Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.

Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic... I am mostly a visual learner. Click here to do a small test to find out what kind of learner you are :smile:

BIG tip. Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it (like it did for me ).

Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail. (I freaked out in Paper 2 Maths test and I did bad, but not too bad because I somehow ranked 36/150 and moving up to set 2 )

Oops I thought it was on here sorry! I knew I'd seen it somewhere though.
Original post by Liza Valle
Hi guys I'm a girl also in year 9 and I'm very Gucci , Channel and New York if you know what I mean ( the best way to describe myself ) I'm going to do my work experience in 2016 and I have no idea how to apply or ask companies for the work experience , worst of all I have no idea what I want to be in the future so I don't know what work experience I should do I'm so confused I need help , advice and suggestions it would be really helpful

hi, since your still I year 10, it is understandable that you don't know what to, as you're still exploring your options. therefore, it would be advisable for you to choose any work experience, so that you can get a taste of what it would be like, to work in that certain field. you can apply in banks, such as Barclays or Halifax, or even solicitors firms, such as Hutchins (in lower Clapton).
hope this helps.
Hey guys, how is everyone? Just a quick update from me: I've got my French writing controlled assessment next Wednesday and I am SO nervous - anyone already done it + have some tips?
Original post by tolulah
Hey guys, how is everyone? Just a quick update from me: I've got my French writing controlled assessment next Wednesday and I am SO nervous - anyone already done it + have some tips?

Take it easy! The French Writing CA isn't that bad just make sure you learn what you need to memorise. I highly recommend you to translate it to English and then learn it from what you wrote in English as it'll be easier to remember. If that fails you can draw pictures to help to remember or cross out certain words until you remember it completely.
Original post by JTran38
Take it easy! The French Writing CA isn't that bad just make sure you learn what you need to memorise. I highly recommend you to translate it to English and then learn it from what you wrote in English as it'll be easier to remember. If that fails you can draw pictures to help to remember or cross out certain words until you remember it completely.

I'm also doing CA prep but I just started. I memorise my writing in sections and test myself by writing it on paper. I add on each section which makes it more challenging to remember and if I fail I have to start again. French CA is 60% of final grade... right?
Hello everyone
I just found out what I got in my first gcse which is Spanish writing and I got an A* yahhhh!!! 28/30.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1393
Hello everyone
I just found out what I got in my first gcse which is Spanish writing and I got an A* yahhhh!!! 28/30.

Posted from TSR Mobile

¡bien hecho!
Hello everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awesome, ¡muy bien! When do you find out your grade after doing it btw? Like how long after you've done it?
Original post by JTran38

Thanks for the tips!! :smile:
Original post by tolulah
That's awesome, ¡muy bien! When do you find out your grade after doing it btw? Like how long after you've done it?

I'm pretty sure his teacher looked over his controlled assessment and gave him a predicted grade according to the mark scheme but you need to send the controlled assessment to the examiner for them to have a look and of course get it graded.
Original post by MrMackyTv
I'm also doing CA prep but I just started. I memorise my writing in sections and test myself by writing it on paper. I add on each section which makes it more challenging to remember and if I fail I have to start again. French CA is 60% of final grade... right?

That's correct.
I just had my French speaking test on Thursday. I was terrified about it, but according to my teacher, it was most likely worth an A*. I really hope the examiners agree, as I thought I made a lot of mistakes under the pressure of the situation. I had a Geography test yesterday, which I barely got chance to revise for, as I prioritised the French (my speaking test counts for 15% of the GCSE). It doesn't actually count for anything, but I'd feel like I'd let my teacher down if I did really badly. I tried reading through my books just before I went to sleep, as I hoped I might subcontiously take in the information in my sleep (I'm sure someone did a study about it). I think it did actually work, but I'm not really sure if I answered the questions in enough detail, so I'm not feeling that confident about it.
This might seem completely unrelated, but what are your predicted grades like? I'm just wondering, because I haven't really spoken to many people at school about it.
I haven't commented on this thread in ages. Hope you are all well. :smile:
Original post by Gribby2
I just had my French speaking test on Thursday. I was terrified about it, but according to my teacher, it was most likely worth an A*. I really hope the examiners agree, as I thought I made a lot of mistakes under the pressure of the situation. I had a Geography test yesterday, which I barely got chance to revise for, as I prioritised the French (my speaking test counts for 15% of the GCSE). It doesn't actually count for anything, but I'd feel like I'd let my teacher down if I did really badly. I tried reading through my books just before I went to sleep, as I hoped I might subcontiously take in the information in my sleep (I'm sure someone did a study about it). I think it did actually work, but I'm not really sure if I answered the questions in enough detail, so I'm not feeling that confident about it.
This might seem completely unrelated, but what are your predicted grades like? I'm just wondering, because I haven't really spoken to many people at school about it.
I haven't commented on this thread in ages. Hope you are all well. :smile:

I remember doing a French speaking CA and being really terrified and nervous. I was also predicted an A/A* for it but I think the prediction is quite accurate if the teacher follows the mark scheme correctly. The examiner checks the CA and the marks it but the predicted grade shouldn't vary much from what I know.

Also from what I know the CA's for French are worth 60% instead of 15%? I'm with AQA btw.

Latest