The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone take the OCR Spanish exams today??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody got predictions on what will come up on the OCR English literature exam on Monday for An inspector calls and of mice and men(extract & essay)
Original post by Melissa.J.Parkes
Hope everyone's exams are going well! 8 exams down, 11 to go for me :biggrin:

You too! You're lucky, I'm 6 down and 22 more to go:redface:
Awh thank you & you'll be fine, they'll be done in no time.

Original post by worksmartnothard
You too! You're lucky, I'm 6 down and 22 more to go:redface:
Original post by Real_jenn
Anybody got predictions on what will come up on the OCR English literature exam on Monday for An inspector calls and of mice and men(extract & essay)

I'm doing this exam too but not for those books 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone revising for English literature? Anyone have any A* tips or resources? I'm on OCR lit and I'm doing TKAM, Jekyll and Hyde and the history boys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
How is everyone revising for English literature? Anyone have any A* tips or resources? I'm on OCR lit and I'm doing TKAM, Jekyll and Hyde and the history boys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

By crying mainly.

I've never really revised for lit (apart from poetry, I do Heaney) but I've done a few essays (both extract and full text) and got my teacher to mark them although it's a bit late for that now...
I'll probably just look through my notes and maybe make a few mind maps on key themes and characters with all the A* stuff like macrocosm and microcosm whatever they actually are

I do Of Mice and Men, Journey's End and Lord of the Flies

I'm (somehow) working at A* for lit, so hopefully it's appropriate for me to give some tips:
. Make sure I'm actually answering the question in my essay, which seems self explanatory but it can be so easy to just veer off track. If the question asks how the extract is made significant/dramatic/moving/whatever then I'll always have at least a sentence or two linking my analysis back to this
. Writer's intention is pretty important according to my teacher. I think it's something most people do automatically but it's always good to chuck in a few points about why the writer may have chosen to use such language and what impact this has
. If you're do the extract (which many people tend to do), link your answer to the whole text. It's good to set this up in the intro; I talk about its position in the novel and why it's significant briefly before going into my main points. I try for 2/3 of the answer focused on the extract and the rest on the context of the passage in the novel as a whole
. Some nice and relevant context in prose from different cultures
. SPAG is 9 marks in modern drama for some reason so don't mess that up :tongue:

Anyone have any good tips for unseen poetry? Have a feeling this year's poems won't be good ones so I may have to resort to unseen
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
By crying mainly.

I've never really revised for lit (apart from poetry, I do Heaney) but I've done a few essays (both extract and full text) and got my teacher to mark them although it's a bit late for that now...
I'll probably just look through my notes and maybe make a few mind maps on key themes and characters with all the A* stuff like macrocosm and microcosm whatever they actually are

I do Of Mice and Men, Journey's End and Lord of the Flies

I'm (somehow) working at A* for lit, so hopefully it's appropriate for me to give some tips:
. Make sure I'm actually answering the question in my essay, which seems self explanatory but it can be so easy to just veer off track. If the question asks how the extract is made significant/dramatic/moving/whatever then I'll always have at least a sentence or two linking my analysis back to this
. Writer's intention is pretty important according to my teacher. I think it's something most people do automatically but it's always good to chuck in a few points about why the writer may have chosen to use such language and what impact this has
. If you're do the extract (which many people tend to do), link your answer to the whole text. It's good to set this up in the intro; I talk about its position in the novel and why it's significant briefly before going into my main points. I try for 2/3 of the answer focused on the extract and the rest on the context of the passage in the novel as a whole
. Some nice and relevant context in prose from different cultures
. SPAG is 9 marks in modern drama for some reason so don't mess that up :tongue:

Anyone have any good tips for unseen poetry? Have a feeling this year's poems won't be good ones so I may have to resort to unseen

Our teacher recommended us to first look at the unseen poem, then the Heaney poems.
Tips for the unseen poem:
- Aim to write at least 2 sides, including a short introduction and conclusion, which refers to the question directly.
- Have a mental list of about 10 poetic/literary techniques, which you can find comfortably, and have a general intended effect of them in mind.
- End of every paragraph, relate the explanation back to the question!
- If there are not more than 2 literary/poetic techniques, just pick out certain words/verbs/adverbs/nouns and see what makes them interesting. e.g. Adjective "brilliant" used to intensify the (object/feeling) instead of simply using the word "good", making it more powerful/dramatic/etc.
- Also, refer to every bullet point they give you in the question, usually 5/6 bullet points, referring to the whole poem, each stanza (not necessarily every stanza) and its structure.
Original post by HouseOfRichman

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Jekyll and Hyde, Of Mice and Men and A View From the Bridge.

A* tips:
- For the two 40 markers (TKAM and the history boys in your case), relate each quote to the themes of the novel, have a mental list of about 4 or 5 recurring themes in the novel. This demonstrates AO4.
- Write about the context of the passage in the novel/play (if you do the passage question)
- Aim to write at least 2 sides (max 3 I would say), with a short introduction and conclusion, referring directly to the question.
- If it's a play, refer to drama techniques, like props, stage directions, narrator, etc
- Bulk of the marks are for Language Analysis (AO1+2), make sure you have at least a quote per paragraph (no need to bombard them with quotes).
- Follow TQCR (not a catchy acronym I know), which stands for Technique, Quote, Comment, Relate, for each paragaph, and you should be absolutely fine.
:smile:
Hi, is anyone got on any predictions for English literature (WJEC) and anyone got any notes on the characters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing Pride and Prejudice or Romeo and Juliet? Got any tips?
Original post by Melissa.J.Parkes
Awh thank you & you'll be fine, they'll be done in no time.

I know, the first week actually went so quickly! Thanks anyway:h:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3226953

Someone posted their notes for AQA sciences (triple award), thought it might be useful to some of you?
Original post by worksmartnothard
I know, the first week actually went so quickly! Thanks anyway:h:

It's fine, and same here. The time passed so quickly!:h:
For anyone doing OCR English Literature tomorrow :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4107089
Hi!! 😄😄😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emunia123
Anyone doing Pride and Prejudice or Romeo and Juliet? Got any tips?

I'm only doing Romeo and Juliet, what exam board are you on?
Does anyone do CIE igcse English lit? For the unclean text (the novel your doing) how many Paragraphs have you being told to do? One of my teacher says 6-8 and another says 4 and we have to include context etc
Only answer to this if your doing CIE English lit tomorrow
RIP, my hand 23.05.16
English literature igcse edexcel :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone do Igcse English lit CIE?
Jekyll and hyde? who did the shakespeare poem?

Latest