The Student Room Group

I didnt get into uni and clearing is a nightmare

I thought I would ask I got BBD and missed both my offers to study Biology. I have been in clearing for two days and tried every respectable uni all saying no because of my D in chemistry. Even Plymouth rejected me. However I got a place at Brighton Uni I know its not the best what do you think I should do? The school arnt that keen on me retaking chemistry as I failed A2 very badly as I dont understand it at all I was 20ums off an E in both exams and retook all of my AS and did far worse in all of them. I dont know what to do and im starting to panic all my friends are going to uni.
Original post by polarbear123
I thought I would ask I got BBD and missed both my offers to study Biology. I have been in clearing for two days and tried every respectable uni all saying no because of my D in chemistry. Even Plymouth rejected me. However I got a place at Brighton Uni I know its not the best what do you think I should do? The school arnt that keen on me retaking chemistry as I failed A2 very badly as I dont understand it at all I was 20ums off an E in both exams and retook all of my AS and did far worse in all of them. I dont know what to do and im starting to panic all my friends are going to uni.

Hi polarbear123,

Have you considered looking further in the field of biology, for example biomedical science? If so please let me know I may be able to help you!

Best,
Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
Reply 2
hey well its about the course not the uni really but you if you think you can do better than a D then retake but honestly you said you did worse when retaking so I would just go straight to Uni. Brighton's a nice place and uni ranking shouldnt really hinder your decision that much
Original post by Kingston University
Hi polarbear123,

Have you considered looking further in the field of biology, for example biomedical science? If so please let me know I may be able to help you!

Best,
Student Ambassador

I thought that was one of the ones that was fiercely competitive
I think you should consider how much chemistry will be involved in the university course, if you don't understand it now then chances are you'll feel even more lost at university. Do you know what career you're interested in? (It's okay if you don't )
Hi polarbear123,

Best,
Student Ambassador

hey yep I have seem to have the same problem with the grades I have also tried things like cellular and molecular biology with no luck :frown:
Original post by GEEKHELP
hey well its about the course not the uni really but you if you think you can do better than a D then retake but honestly you said you did worse when retaking so I would just go straight to Uni. Brighton's a nice place and uni ranking shouldnt really hinder your decision that much

I think maybe with a whole year I could do if I had some sort of help maybe a tutor as I am not doing three subjects and will have a lot of free time. Like I could get into brighton next year if it doesnt work out but I dont know whether its worth trying I know it shouldnt be about the uni too much but its quite important to me and they dont even do my favourite sport there
Original post by Hevachan
I think you should consider how much chemistry will be involved in the university course, if you don't understand it now then chances are you'll feel even more lost at university. Do you know what career you're interested in? (It's okay if you don't )

Yeah the school said they can help with that and it would be better to sort out my learning before uni. I honestly have no idea maybe biology teacher or whatever I am interested in after the course
hey yep I have seem to have the same problem with the grades I have also tried things like cellular and molecular biology with no luck :frown:

Hi polarbear123,

Have you considered a Science Foundtion Year? It's a popular route into university for people who didn't get the grades they wanted. It's definitely worth looking in to :smile: If you give our clearing hotline a call they will be able to advise you, the number is 08448429599*.

I hope this helps!

Best of luck,

Student Ambassador

*Calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone comapny's acces charges.
Yeah the school said they can help with that and it would be better to sort out my learning before uni. I honestly have no idea maybe biology teacher or whatever I am interested in after the course

Yeah indeed. What subjects did you do? Biology, chemistry and..?
Hi polarbear123,

Have you considered a Science Foundtion Year? It's a popular route into university for people who didn't get the grades they wanted. It's definitely worth looking in to :smile: If you give our clearing hotline a call they will be able to advise you, the number is 08448429599*.

I hope this helps!

Best of luck,

Student Ambassador

*Calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone comapny's acces charges.

Thank you I did look into that but I think I would rather take a year out than pay an extra 9000 it is very expensive!
Original post by Hevachan
Yeah indeed. What subjects did you do? Biology, chemistry and..?

and geography with an as in physics grade C
Reply 12
I think maybe with a whole year I could do if I had some sort of help maybe a tutor as I am not doing three subjects and will have a lot of free time. Like I could get into brighton next year if it doesnt work out but I dont know whether its worth trying I know it shouldnt be about the uni too much but its quite important to me and they dont even do my favourite sport there

if you can do better than do a year again :smile: what ifs are a huge pain in life. You can always go to Brighton next year like you said. But if you know you will lose motivation in between the year then go to uni is my advice but ofc it is up to you. Talk to your college and see if they will let you come back. One of my friends begged to come back and they let her.

Quick Reply

Latest