The Student Room Group

An A2 Study Journal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laurasaur
This is a pretty broad question!

For organisation, I printed out the specification, wrote notes (condensed my textbook + revision guide), then I made flash cards and did past papers. It was a case of understanding it (when writing notes), testing myself on how much I knew (flash cards) then practising exam technique (doing papers and learning the structure of answers to questions that could be repeated).

The way to remember things is to keep testing yourself on them. This can be any method of looking at something, then looking away and checking it to see how much you remember. Keep doing that until you know all of it without having to look. Some people write things down over and over again, others use flash cards or posters, mind maps or just saying it in their heads. You can also use a friend to check if you've got it right and tell you where you went wrong or what you forgot.

Thank you so much, this helps a lot, I'll try all these techniques out and see what suits me :smile: good luck with your exams in Summer
Reply 41
A2 physics: halfway through unit 1:

Spoiler

Reply 42
Original post by Kyx
A2 physics: halfway through unit 1:

Spoiler

Teachers are usually pretty slow :hmpf: that's why I self study. I learnt that the hard way: in GCSE chemistry, we didn't have a teacher until 6 weeks before the exams, when we only covered the last unit (c3 aqa).

Your teacher really needs to hurry up! You could self-study the last half of unit 1 (solids, liquids, gases, temperature, thermal properties and ideal gases) because they're very 'wordy'. Unit 2 is considerably harder :s-smilie:
Reply 43
Teachers are usually pretty slow :hmpf: that's why I self study. I learnt that the hard way: in GCSE chemistry, we didn't have a teacher until 6 weeks before the exams, when we only covered the last unit (c3 aqa).

Your teacher really needs to hurry up! You could self-study the last half of unit 1 (solids, liquids, gases, temperature, thermal properties and ideal gases) because they're very 'wordy'. Unit 2 is considerably harder :s-smilie:

I cant wait to do the astrophysics though: I knew it all years ago!
Reply 44
Original post by Kyx
I cant wait to do the astrophysics though: I knew it all years ago!

Of course :biggrin: There's quite a bit of gcse physics that comes up again (from AQA to OCR A2). Astrophysics has to be one of the most interesting parts of the subject!
Reply 45
Of course :biggrin: There's quite a bit of gcse physics that comes up again (from AQA to OCR A2). Astrophysics has to be one of the most interesting parts of the subject!

:smile: :biggrin: :colone:
Whoo! Welcome to the Grow Your Grades competition

:woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:
Reply 47
February:tongue:

Content progress
Physics 16/16
Chemistry 16/16
Physics 16/22

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 15.12.53.pngThis is part of my revision-tracker spreadsheet. Each grey block shows how many times I want to go over that particular topic. The coloured blocks show how many times I have already revised that topic (one for each day) and each subject has a different colour (biology is green, chemistry is red and physics is purple. A light coloured block means I have revised only the content, whereas a dark coloured block means I have done practice questions on that topic.
I had always wanted to do this with lego pieces, but this is probably better :P
Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 15.12.53.png

Ha I just made a revision tracker this morning :biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by Ribenas
Ha I just made a revision tracker this morning :biggrin:

Good to hear! How's it working out for you so far? :biggrin:
Good to hear! How's it working out for you so far? :biggrin:

Not bad I have made over half of the flash cards for AS Biology. How are you finding it?
Reply 52
Original post by Ribenas
Not bad I have made over half of the flash cards for AS Biology. How are you finding it?

Well done, you sound like you're doing really well so far! Are you in year 12 then? I haven't made as many flashcards this year, I'm saving them for definitions only - otherwise it's going to take me a month to write everything out! I like using the tracker though, its easier to look at things you need to do as little blocks than as a to do list!
Well done, you sound like you're doing really well so far! Are you in year 12 then? I haven't made as many flashcards this year, I'm saving them for definitions only - otherwise it's going to take me a month to write everything out! I like using the tracker though, its easier to look at things you need to do as little blocks than as a to do list!

Yes I am in Year 12. I definitely need to focus on biology as it is the one I struggle most. You are so right, the flashcards are taking forever but I feel like it is time well spent :h:. How is your revision going?
Reply 54
Original post by Ribenas
Yes I am in Year 12. I definitely need to focus on biology as it is the one I struggle most. You are so right, the flashcards are taking forever but I feel like it is time well spent :h:. How is your revision going?

Awesome, year 12 is interesting this year for most people who have to contend with the new specifications. Biology can be a pretty hard subject, especially with how much you need to learn, but it can keep a lot of doors open when applying to uni. Flashcards are good for biology, mind maps also. It's important to draw links across different topics :smile:

I'm finding revision okay, I've got A2 unit 1 mocks in a couple of weeks, so I've been ignoring unit 2 for a while, but it's all going well overall
Awesome, year 12 is interesting this year for most people who have to contend with the new specifications. Biology can be a pretty hard subject, especially with how much you need to learn, but it can keep a lot of doors open when applying to uni. Flashcards are good for biology, mind maps also. It's important to draw links across different topics :smile:

I'm finding revision okay, I've got A2 unit 1 mocks in a couple of weeks, so I've been ignoring unit 2 for a while, but it's all going well overall

Haha, two of my subjects have been altered because of the new specification. Which is annoying considering there are less past resources available :frown:
Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 15.12.53.pngThis is part of my revision-tracker spreadsheet. Each grey block shows how many times I want to go over that particular topic. The coloured blocks show how many times I have already revised that topic (one for each day) and each subject has a different colour (biology is green, chemistry is red and physics is purple. A light coloured block means I have revised only the content, whereas a dark coloured block means I have done practice questions on that topic.
I had always wanted to do this with lego pieces, but this is probably better :P

That looks really good but so over-complicated :colondollar: I wouldn't be able to stick to it, though I wish I could revise that productively. I've noticed that you've finished Biology and Chemistry: do you just teach yourself and do notes outside of class? Once I've gotten my notes for synoptic Psychology out of the way, I might work on the rest of Biology Unit 5 by myself so I can start revision and past papers.

My plan was to start revision at Easter, but if I could get all of my HBIO and 6PS04 (Psych Unit 4 synoptic) notes done, I could be revising those and I'd just have to go along with Child psychology in lessons and French, I do that in chunks anyway and I'm nearly done on notes, just need to practice translations and start practice timed essays which I think I'll leave til Easter.

Your journal is inspiring :lol:
Reply 57
March
Content progress
Biology 16/16
Chemistry 16/16
Physics 19/22

Mock results - unit 4
Chemistry - A (57/60)
Physics - A (54/60)
Biology - A (50/60)

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
IMG_1720.jpgThis is my biology revision wall! There's one more A4 poster I need to make, then that's the entire A2 course in all it's glory. Each paragraph covers a bullet point from the specification and I've written exam-style answers to all of them (some of which are based on mark schemes). :smile:
This is a slight variation of how I revised for biology last year and for GCSE, and it works as long as I keep reading and testing myself on it regularly.
Content-heavy subjects don't look as intimidating in tiny (colourful) hand-writing!
Reply 59
IMG_1721.jpgThis is my 4 quadrant revision plan. The tricky topics that I hate are the first ones that I study, and the ones I spend the longest time studying, whereas the easy, likeable topics are ones that I save for a lazy day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending