The Student Room Group

An A2 Study Journal

Scroll to see replies

Damn your organisational skills are impressive! I'm retaking, and doing the same subjects as you (apart from biology, which I got an A in last year), but I'm nowhere near as organised :colondollar: How did you manage to get such a high grade in physics last year? It is the bane of my existence :banghead:
Reply 61
Original post by UnknownAnon
Damn your organisational skills are impressive! I'm retaking, and doing the same subjects as you (apart from biology, which I got an A in last year), but I'm nowhere near as organised :colondollar: How did you manage to get such a high grade in physics last year? It is the bane of my existence :banghead:

Thank you :colondollar: *mega-blush.

That's fair enough, so chemistry and physics huh? Well done in biology :smile:
Physics can be a real pain. You've got to lift definitions and long, wordy-answers directly from mark schemes (more recent answers are better than from the legacy papers). Write down a booklet/poster of "standard answers".

Calculations can be weird too, practice helps to a large extent. Don't neglect the really old past paper questions, or questions from other exam boards, but be wary that some topics are beyond what you need to know.

There are also many resources online. This is what has pushed me up from what was probably a B/C grade.
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/
https://isaacphysics.org
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzatyx-xC-Dl_VVUVHYDYw
https://www.boundless.com/physics/textbooks/boundless-physics-textbook/the-basics-of-physics-1
https://www.khanacademy.org
Original post by Laurasaur
Thank you :colondollar: *mega-blush.

That's fair enough, so chemistry and physics huh? Well done in biology :smile:
Physics can be a real pain. You've got to lift definitions and long, wordy-answers directly from mark schemes (more recent answers are better than from the legacy papers). Write down a booklet/poster of "standard answers".

Calculations can be weird too, practice helps to a large extent. Don't neglect the really old past paper questions, or questions from other exam boards, but be wary that some topics are beyond what you need to know.

There are also many resources online. This is what has pushed me up from what was probably a B/C grade.
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/
https://isaacphysics.org
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzatyx-xC-Dl_VVUVHYDYw
https://www.boundless.com/physics/textbooks/boundless-physics-textbook/the-basics-of-physics-1
https://www.khanacademy.org

Yep gotta bring my B in chem up to an A and my C in physics to an A.

At the beginning of year 12, I used to hate calculations and loved definitions (since I was better at memorizing and hated maths) but that has completely changed now. I find calculations fairly easy (aside from the silly mistakes). The problem with the long answers is that OCR is so specific, so even if you know it, if you don't use the correct words you don't get the marks :hmpf:

Thanks for the advice and the links! It's really helpful. :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and good luck! Not that you need it, you seem pretty much on track :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
April

Content: all finished!

Controlled assessments:
Chemistry: 39/40
Biology: 40/40
Physics: 37/40

Average past paper grades:
Ch2:?
Ch4:A
Ch5:A
Bi4:A
Bi5:B
Ph4:?
Ph5: B

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
x

Congrats on completing all of your content! I have am 95% complete so I can't wait to be in your position :biggrin:
Reply 66
Original post by Ribenas
Congrats on completing all of your content! I have am 95% complete so I can't wait to be in your position :biggrin:

I'm glad to hear, good job!! It feels like such a relief when you study that last little bit, good luck and you deserve to take the rest of the day off once you're done :biggrin:
I'm glad to hear, good job!! It feels like such a relief when you study that last little bit, good luck and you deserve to take the rest of the day off once you're done :biggrin:

Thanks, you done all the past papers available for your subjects yet?
Reply 68
Original post by Ribenas
Thanks, you done all the past papers available for your subjects yet?

Not yet, I do more questions by topic than entire papers and it's only recently that I started doing unit 5 papers (just to estimate out my current grades).
Have you?! 😮
X

None as of yet, I just want to build a solid foundation of knowledge first before I work on application :smile:. I have written up all of my notes but just need to make them into flashcards. I completed 1/4 of my flashcards and that made me so relieved so I can't wait until I have finished completely :biggrin: :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
How do you work on application? Do you have tips you could suggest to me please? :smile:
Original post by RSSM09
How do you work on application? Do you have tips you could suggest to me please? :smile:

Past papers, past papers, past papers! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 72
Original post by RSSM09

For which subject? My answer would vary slightly depending on which science you're talking about :smile:
For which subject? My answer would vary slightly depending on which science you're talking about :smile:

Biology! I understand and revise the knowledge; but when it comes to papers I don't seem to understand what the question asks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by RSSM09
Biology! I understand and revise the knowledge; but when it comes to papers I don't seem to understand what the question asks

Posted from TSR Mobile

For biology, as ribenas said, past papers are a very good way to go! I'd argue that application questions in biology are the most difficult ones.

Make an educated guess. Use what you have learnt about and keep linking it in with the specifics in the question. For example, a specification point might be to describe the synthesis of a polypeptide, whereas an application question might ask you to describe the synthesis of a certain protein they've written about.

If all else fails, sneak in as many key words (any biological words) as you can that link in e.g. Write about "complementary base pairs" and "sticky ends".

Write about things in excessive detail, you can pick up quite a few "any valid point" marks in long-answer questions.

Think before you write! Before you go into answering the question, jot down a few key words to summarise any ideas of what answer they are looking for. This gives you a chance to form some alternative ideas in those "suggest" questions and make short plans to structure your work. That way, if you have the time to check your answers, you can re-decide which idea was more likely to be wanted by the examiner.

To be good at these questions, you need a fairly solid understanding of biology. If you have a bit of time during revision, read around the topic slightly. Watch a khan academy video or a crash course biology video on YouTube about it. This can be surprisingly helpful!
For biology, as ribenas said, past papers are a very good way to go! I'd argue that application questions in biology are the most difficult ones.

Make an educated guess. Use what you have learnt about and keep linking it in with the specifics in the question. For example, a specification point might be to describe the synthesis of a polypeptide, whereas an application question might ask you to describe the synthesis of a certain protein they've written about.

If all else fails, sneak in as many key words (any biological words) as you can that link in e.g. Write about "complementary base pairs" and "sticky ends".

Write about things in excessive detail, you can pick up quite a few "any valid point" marks in long-answer questions.

Think before you write! Before you go into answering the question, jot down a few key words to summarise any ideas of what answer they are looking for. This gives you a chance to form some alternative ideas in those "suggest" questions and make short plans to structure your work. That way, if you have the time to check your answers, you can re-decide which idea was more likely to be wanted by the examiner.

To be good at these questions, you need a fairly solid understanding of biology. If you have a bit of time during revision, read around the topic slightly. Watch a khan academy video or a crash course biology video on YouTube about it. This can be surprisingly helpful!

Ahh right thank you so much I will definitely try that!! Good luck with your exams too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
May:coma:

LET'S DO THIS!!!

Controlled Assessments (/40)
Biology: 40
Chemistry: 39
Physics: 37

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 77
Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 09.54.23.png
This is how I've recorded my revision to ensure I don't massively neglect any units - like I did last year with F322! As you can see, I haven't regularly done a lot of unit 4 chemistry, that's because it's consistently my strongest unit. On the other hand, I've done a fair bit unit 5 revision as they're the larger units.

Small chunks of revision, over a longer period of time, is FAR less stressful than cramming it all in the last month. I feel reasonably confident that I can get As and Bs in the exams, so I'm using the last month of revision to brush up on exam technique (by doing, and correcting myself on, past papers) to bump up my grade. :groovy:
Reply 78
Photo on 07-05-2016 at 10.43.jpgPast papers!:ahee: I'm doing all of them once, correcting my mistakes and writing model answers. At some point before the exams, I'll read through the corrections to make sure I've got my exam-technique sorted. There are 57 paper in total (19 per subject, and not including the exam I'm retaking).

Spoiler

Reply 79
IMG_1720.jpgThis is my biology revision wall! There's one more A4 poster I need to make, then that's the entire A2 course in all it's glory. Each paragraph covers a bullet point from the specification and I've written exam-style answers to all of them (some of which are based on mark schemes). :smile:
This is a slight variation of how I revised for biology last year and for GCSE, and it works as long as I keep reading and testing myself on it regularly.
Content-heavy subjects don't look as intimidating in tiny (colourful) hand-writing!

Did you make 1 poster per topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending