The Student Room Group

An A2 Study Journal

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by kiiten
Did you make 1 poster per topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a few topics, I put 2 topics on one poster (e.g. plant responses and animal responses). Bigger topics, like respiration, needed one whole poster though 😊
Reply 81
Original post by Laurasaur
For a few topics, I put 2 topics on one poster (e.g. plant responses and animal responses). Bigger topics, like respiration, needed one whole poster though 😊

Ahh right :smile: what about for AS?
Reply 82
Original post by kiiten
Ahh right :smile: what about for AS?

It depends on the topic size, bio molecules took up a whole poster, but I managed to condense a lot of my environment notes onto one page.

AS for me was slightly different: we had unit 1 exchange and transport, and unit 2 bio molecules, food and health. I'd recommend you clump all of the similar topics together (like human anatomy, plant anatomy, the environment etc) because the new exams seem more synoptic!
Reply 83
It depends on the topic size, bio molecules took up a whole poster, but I managed to condense a lot of my environment notes onto one page.

AS for me was slightly different: we had unit 1 exchange and transport, and unit 2 bio molecules, food and health. I'd recommend you clump all of the similar topics together (like human anatomy, plant anatomy, the environment etc) because the new exams seem more synoptic!

Ahh my topics are slightly different - I have bio molecules, cell structure & division, cell membranes, cells & immune system, exchange & transport etc. in total there are 9 topics & practical skills :s-smilie:
Reply 84
June :banana2:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 85
The wait for results day is pretty excruciating! I've taken up 2 new hobbies (watercolour painting, flute) to keep me occupied when I'm not seeing friends or interneting...

The grade boundaries are out, and boy are they high! Based on my mark predictions, it looks like I'll get either A*AB or A*AA (in biology, physics and chemistry respectively). Chemistry is determining which university I get into.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
The wait for results day is pretty excruciating! I've taken up 2 new hobbies (watercolour painting, flute) to keep me occupied when I'm not seeing friends or interneting...

Good luck :smile: im sure you will have done well, from looking at your journal. You inspired me to create condensed biology posters (which i need to finish before A2 :3). i aim to be as organised as you are next year. Good luck for the future :wink: - what do you plan on doing?
Reply 87
Original post by kiiten
Good luck :smile: im sure you will have done well, from looking at your journal. You inspired me to create condensed biology posters (which i need to finish before A2 :3). i aim to be as organised as you are next year. Good luck for the future :wink: - what do you plan on doing?

Thank you for your kind words 😊
Good luck to you, both for results day and next year!!

And I'm planning on doing Neuroscience at UCL, then maybe a PhD elsewhere, if that's still what I want to do...
Reply 88
Results Day!
IMG_1157.jpgSo, the results are in! I got the 3 As that I needed for UCL, and for meeting the entry requirements, I am very happy!
I'm honestly quite surprised about a couple of those scores, and I met or exceeded my predictions in all of the exams. However, the grade boundaries were very unforgiving, so no A* for me lol.

UMS in A2
Biology - 88.7%
Physics - 85%
Chemistry - 84%

Here are my predictions vs my actual marks.

Chemistry unit 2 retake 80-90/100? Actual: 91/100 (a)
Chemistry unit 4 45-55/60? Actual: 52/60 (a)
Chemistry unit 5 60-70/100? Actual: 78/100 (b, 79 was an a)

Biology unit 4 40-50/60? Actual: 43/60 (b, 45 was an a)
Biology unit 5 75-85/100 Actual: 71+/100 (a* full ums)

Physics unit 4 35-45/60? Actual: 40/60 (b, 44 was an a)
Physics unit 5 75-85/100? Actual: 89/100 (a*)

I'm a happy girl :smile: UCL here I come...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 89
Results Day!
IMG_1157.jpgSo, the results are in! I got the 3 As that I needed for UCL, and for meeting the entry requirements, I am very happy!
I'm honestly quite surprised about a couple of those scores, and I met or exceeded my predictions in all of the exams. However, the grade boundaries were very unforgiving, so no A* for me lol.

UMS in A2
Biology - 88.7%
Physics - 85%
Chemistry - 84%

Wow!!! Im so happy for you. Well done, you deserve it!! :smile: - i havent opened my AS results yet, im too nervous.
Reply 90
Original post by kiiten
Wow!!! Im so happy for you. Well done, you deserve it!! :smile: - i havent opened my AS results yet, im too nervous.

Thanks, ooooo good luck!!! Whatever you get, if you've worked hard you should be very proud of yourself :smile: Good luck, there's no need to be scared x
Results Day!

UMS in A2
Biology - 88.7%
Physics - 85%
Chemistry - 84%

Congratulations!! And thanks for this amazing blog, it'll be very helpful going into A levels :smile:
Results Day!

UMS in A2
Biology - 88.7%
Physics - 85%
Chemistry - 84%

Congratulations. I heard OCR exam board is the worst anyway, especially for Maths. I didn't know you had a blog on this part of the forum. Will read it later.
Reply 93
Original post by ColossalAtom
Congratulations. I heard OCR exam board is the worst anyway, especially for Maths. I didn't know you had a blog on this part of the forum. Will read it later.

Yeah OCR are a bit dodgy sometimes, I was a bit thrown off by a couple of the Bs, but I'm still not disappointed with them and they didn't cost me a place at uni. Thanks haha, I think I'll read through it again someday (when it's not too cringe-worthy) :smile:
Results Day!

UMS in A2
Biology - 88.7%
Physics - 85%
Chemistry - 84%

Congrats That was AWESOME!! literally read through your blog like a story and feeling very inspired! :biggrin:

I'm in the year below so going into yr 13 I'm also doing Bio and Chem but instead of Phy I'm doing economics (want to study Biotechnology at uni) I think organisation wise we are pretty similar haha but I've been too lazy for the last few yrs :/ want to change that though

I was wondering could you give me a basic description on what you did during each month (e.g Notes,Revise,Past Papers) as I now feel inspired to do a GYG post myself and just need a basic outline on when I should be doing things by so I can use my time as efficiently as you did! :smile:

Good luck for uni!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by iamamuku
Congrats That was AWESOME!! literally read through your blog like a story and feeling very inspired! :biggrin:

I'm in the year below so going into yr 13 I'm also doing Bio and Chem but instead of Phy I'm doing economics (want to study Biotechnology at uni) I think organisation wise we are pretty similar haha but I've been too lazy for the last few yrs :/ want to change that though

I was wondering could you give me a basic description on what you did during each month (e.g Notes,Revise,Past Papers) as I now feel inspired to do a GYG post myself and just need a basic outline on when I should be doing things by so I can use my time as efficiently as you did! :smile:

Good luck for uni!

Thanks for reading it 😄 And thank you for your kind words, it means a lot!

An ideal schedule would roughly be:
September-December: make revision notes and other revision materials, do some wider reading, and do practice questions (from the textbook/papers/internet on the topic you're learning about.

January-June: memorise the notes in as much detail as possible, do full past papers (including legacy specifications and from other exam boards). Make sure to memorise answers in the way the markscheme is phrased, make a couple of notes on this too and keep revising from them.

The more questions you practice, the better you'll do in the exam!
Don't forget to take time to relax, and don't spend more than 6 hours a day revising, in case you burn out!

Good luck, I hope you get the grades you need 😊
Well done Laura! You smashed it🙂
Best of luck for next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
January

Spoiler

Also here in January, how did you manage to get notifications on your computer telling you what to revise? Did you spend time scheduling into your computer what topics you'd do for each day? :redface: This sounds like a pretty useful thing to do
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by spiritless98
Well done Laura! You smashed it🙂
Best of luck for next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! Congratulations on getting into your first choice!!! I'm so happy for you, you must be so relieved after all your hard work

Original post by iamamuku
Also here in January, how did you manage to get notifications on your computer telling you what to revise? Did you spend time scheduling into your computer what topics you'd do for each day? :redface: This sounds like a pretty useful thing to do

With Apple computers, you can use their built in app, called reminders. It came up on my phone too that way! Basically, I made a schedule on paper and put in all of the week's revision reminders in.
I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. I think TSR sends you emails if you make a revision timetable on their website, but mine kept glitching out, so I gave up with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending