The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Diana Gabaldon, the Jamie Fraser series.
The first one, actually, The Cross Stitch. The writing is not wonderful, but the storyline is really compelling.
Classic romance novel - Wuthering Heights.

I'm not into the Romance genre, so I really don't know what to suggest!
Reply 3
FrenchGal
Diana Gabaldon, the Jamie Fraser series.
The first one, actually, The Cross Stitch. The writing is not wonderful, but the storyline is really compelling.

Thanks.

P.S. The guy in your avatar is hot (IMO anyway, and prolly yours too :wink: ).
Reply 4
danni_bella

P.S. The guy in your avatar is hot (IMO anyway, and prolly yours too :wink: ).

David Tennant :love:
I :love: him.
Reply 5
Captain Corelli's Mandolin and The Other Boleyn Girl are two really good ones that spring to mind.
hotgoose
Captain Corelli's Mandolin and The Other Boleyn Girl are two really good ones that spring to mind.

ooh the other boleyn girl is brilliant! such a good story, really gripping - probably the best she's written.
Reply 7
Oh, and do you know this old romance book called Now Voyager, by Olive Prouty? It's ancient, but god, I loooooooove it.
Reply 8
Lady Chatterley's lover.
Reply 9
Gone with the wind by margareth mitchell.I love it
Reply 10
North and South.
Reply 11
the other boleyn girl is definitly the best book she's written, i was really disappointed by Wideacre.
Reply 12
Oh I saw that at my uni's text book shop the other day :p: Not sure what it was doing there lol.
Reply 13
FrenchGal
Oh, and do you know this old romance book called Now Voyager, by Olive Prouty? It's ancient, but god, I loooooooove it.

Which Era is it set? Thanks I'll look it up.
ames123
North and South.

:ditto:
Reply 15
ames123
North and South.

This is a period drama set in 19th century industrial England. You MUST read this and/or watch the series they made of it, SO beautiful! :love:
If you want your romance ground down into harsh realism, Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert is fantastic! But I also second Wuthering Heights.
aKa Your Idol
Classic romance novel - Wuthering Heights.

I'm not into the Romance genre, so I really don't know what to suggest!

Erm, how exactly is Wuthering Heights a romance novel? I personally don't find it romantic in any sense of the word. Maybe more of a tragic love story perhaps?
Wives and Daughters (which is kind of a romance novel) by Elizabeth Gaskell and Emma by Jane Austen are two of my favourites.
danni_bella
Which Era is it set? Thanks I'll look it up.

It's set in the 40s I think. And it's been written in the 40s, that's why I called it 'ancient' :p:
There is a film as well Now, Voyager

This is a period drama set in 19th century industrial England. You MUST read this and/or watch the series they made of it, SO beautiful!

And Richard Armitage is so hot :love:

Latest

Trending

Trending