The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
FrenchGal
It's set in the 40s I think. And it's been written in the 40s, that's why I called it 'ancient' :p:
There is a film as well Now, Voyager

And Richard Armitage is so hot :love:

Well that helps! Mmm Mr Thornton :love:.
Reply 21
pride and prejudice and emma by jane austen... such classics... can't believe I'm the first person to mention P&P! north and south was a good novel too, and I also liked the age of innocence by edith wharton
Reply 22
If you haven't read Gone With the Wind - DO IT!! :P

I think the Cross Stitch has already been suggested - I would also highly reccommend the Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough (i'm sure I spelt that wrong btw). It's possibly one of my favourite romantic books ever - the couple in it are adorable! <3
The Thornbirds is a very good choice!! And so is GWTW. First book I ever read in English :wink: Knew it off by heart, so it wasn't that difficult!!!
Reply 24
Eevuul
pride and prejudice and emma by jane austen... such classics... can't believe I'm the first person to mention P&P! north and south was a good novel too, and I also liked the age of innocence by edith wharton

You seen the series of North and South?
Reply 25
ames123
You seen the series of North and South?

no I haven't... is it any good?
Reply 26
Just finished Captain Corelli's Mandolin, great romance novel. (others view it in differing ways)
The Karma Sutra. :p:
Reply 28
phwoar richard armitage is sooo hot in north and south. the book's realy good too.
jomo
If you haven't read Gone With the Wind - DO IT!! :P

WoOoW U KNOW IT!!!! :biggrin: I thought nobody appreciates it as a novel :smile:, hmm since nobody read the book, but watched the old movie, which is in their opinion crap :frown:
The Time Traveller's Wife I thought was very sweet. It's by Audrey Niffenegger.

Don't be put off by the title, it's not a stupid sci-fi novel. It's really well written and has some lovely themes. It really is very good. :smile:
Vampyrcorn

Don't be put off by the title, it's not a stupid sci-fi novel. It's really well written and has some lovely themes. It really is very good. :smile:

What's stupid about sci-fi?
Vampyrcorn

Seconded! I thought the author did a fantastic job of writing about something that could have ended up very confusing. The relationship described is touching and honest, it's something I enjoyed reading loads! Granted, it's not a traditional historical romance novel with its mostly contemporary setting but it's something you have to read to believe.
ducky_72
What's stupid about sci-fi?

Ahaha I knew someone would pick up on that.

It's just that it's not something that appeals to a great number of people, and it's hardly a romantic subject which is what the OP is looking for.

Sci-fi isn't stupid, sorry I probably shouldn't have said that it was :redface: . But it can be a bit unrealistic, which is something I thought some people might think about a book centered on time travel.

My point was that, although time travel is of course science fiction, you don't need to have an appreciation for that type of thing to enjoy the book.
Reply 34
Eevuul
no I haven't... is it any good?

Yes it is amazing! :love: If you are looking for it there is a civil war drama witht he same name - it's not that lol.
And for the lighter historical romance, try a Georgette Heyer! I'm utterly obsessed with them. Easy reading without that Mills&Boon factor.
I read it at least once a year. Awesome novel.

The Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier is awesome too.
FrenchGal

Yes I liked that too, though I read it aaages ago and can't totally remember it to be honest.
Vampyrcorn
Ahaha I knew someone would pick up on that.

It's just that it's not something that appeals to a great number of people, and it's hardly a romantic subject which is what the OP is looking for.

Sci-fi isn't stupid, sorry I probably shouldn't have said that it was :redface: . But it can be a bit unrealistic, which is something I thought some people might think about a book centered on time travel.

My point was that, although time travel is of course science fiction, you don't need to have an appreciation for that type of thing to enjoy the book.

Ah, I think I simply misunderstood. I had a big argument with someone the other day who pretty much trashed the entire genre, so i guess I picked up on that a bit to quickly hehe.
Reply 39
FrenchGal

I agree, Frenchman's Creek is a great novel. In my opinion it is the best of Daphne Du Maurier's.

Latest

Trending

Trending