The Student Room Group

Resitting AS Levels in 4 months (IAL candidate)

I am an IAL candidate.
I recieved my AS results which were really bad
a U in Chem, E in Phy and a C in bio
I plan to resit chem and phy in Jan 2016 (yes there are jan exam incase if anybody doesnt know)
Can anyone give me tips on how to restudy?? what should i focus on??
is it possible to retake and significantly improve my grade by 4 months???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by A84
I am an IAL candidate.
I plan to resit chem and phy in Jan 2016 (yes there are jan exam incase if anybody doesnt know)

I've known someone go from a Summer E to a January A in Further Maths. No lessons or tutor, she just stopped faffing about and did some work.

To do 2 subjects I think you're going to have to be very organised and committed.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
I've known someone go from a Summer E to a January A in Further Maths. No lessons or tutor, she just stopped faffing about and did some work.

To do 2 subjects I think you're going to have to be very organised and committed.

This makes me more hopeful. Thanks.
I already did not "faf" about or waste time, there was just other medical issues etc which i guess put me back from great results...
Original post by Compost

Can you please tell me how to sit for it in Jan? does the college allow you? I thought there are no Jan exams anymore
Original post by A84
I am an IAL candidate.
Can anyone give me tips on how to restudy?? what should i focus on??

Are you serious? can you still sit for Jan exams? I thought they removed it ? can you please render me with a link that confirms it?
Reply 5
Original post by Emad1993
Are you serious? can you still sit for Jan exams? I thought they removed it ? can you please render me with a link that confirms it?

Of course, thats why instead of GCSE, we r considered IAL - International advanced levels. meaning if u r an international candidate u can resit. In fact, since 2014 there r past papers available for the jan session, conforming that there r papers held. Are u planning on sitting them too?
Original post by A84
Of course, thats why instead of GCSE, we r considered IAL - International advanced levels. meaning if u r an international candidate u can resit. In fact, since 2014 there r past papers available for the jan session, conforming that there r papers held. Are u planning on sitting them too?

I see, but are you talking about A-levels or GCSE? I am a home student and wanna do FP1 edexcel.
Reply 7
I see, but are you talking about A-levels or GCSE? I am a home student and wanna do FP1 edexcel.

it is A levels. is FP1 something to do with maths? (i don't take maths that why i wouldnt know)
Original post by A84
it is A levels. is FP1 something to do with maths? (i don't take maths that why i wouldnt know)

ye FP1 is "further pure math" and is it only designed for people who want to resit? because I haven't done FP1 before and so that doesn't include me ?
Reply 9
ye FP1 is "further pure math" and is it only designed for people who want to resit? because I haven't done FP1 before and so that doesn't include me ?

yes u can take this subject as an IAL candidate. for more info see this link

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics.html
Original post by A84
yes u can take this subject as an IAL candidate. for more info see this link

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels/mathematics.html

thank you for the link, so do university consider IAL as much as they do the normal A-levels?
Reply 11
thank you for the link, so do university consider IAL as much as they do the normal A-levels?

of course. there isnt any diff in syllabus etc even usually, its just that we have seperate exams and of course that there r also jan exams. thats all. for further info, u can always use the website i just gave and ask the support ppl through email who will be happy to guide u.
Original post by A84
of course. there isnt any diff in syllabus etc even usually, its just that we have seperate exams and of course that there r also jan exams. thats all. for further info, u can always use the website i just gave and ask the support ppl through email who will be happy to guide u.

yeah thanks a lot for the information and best of luck :smile:
Can you please tell me how to sit for it in Jan? does the college allow you? I thought there are no Jan exams anymore

You can't do it in England.
Original post by A84
This makes me more hopeful. Thanks.
I already did not "faf" about or waste time, there was just other medical issues etc which i guess put me back from great results...

I wasn't suggesting you were faffing. I was!
Original post by Compost
You can't do it in England.

so abroad?
so abroad?

Yes. http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels.html

I am fairly sure that, whilst the content is identical, the codes are different so you can't mix and match units with the domestic exams.
Original post by Compost
Yes. http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels.html

I am fairly sure that, whilst the content is identical, the codes are different so you can't mix and match units with the domestic exams.

Thanks for the information :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Compost
I wasn't suggesting you were faffing. I was!

My bad then! Sorry
How were your results?
Reply 19
Hi. I did Maths and Physics this past academic year and got an overall C in Physics (IAL) and I'm retaking units 2, 4, 5 in January too. I'm also doing Biology and Chemistry (for the first time) in June 2016 Which country are you giving exams from? I'm giving from UAE

Quick Reply

Latest