The Student Room Group

Getting depressed about my weight gain.

Hi everyone.

So I grew up a bit of a chubby kid, but of puppy fat. Hit pubity late, combined with playing a lot more sports meant I shed it quite quick.
Not skinny or anything, but my BMI was 'normal' and I was pretty average, and more than content with that.

Now I'm putting on weight and I feel hopeless about it.
I'm deffo eating more crap than I've ever had too. I work in a supermarket, so I always buy food on my breaks, or my colleagues by fast food all the time from many local fast food joints.
I've tried to cut back and I bring my own healthier lunch, but I still slip up.

Over the last 6 years I've been really active in sports, playing football once a week, and squash once or twice on top of that.
However, my football team folded last season so I haven't trained in one year really, and I play squash less because I work more than I ever have (50+ hours), so find it hard to find time. Plus people I know have stopped playing, or moved away, gone off to uni.
This just leaves my brother, but he goes off to uni this October.

This leaves me with no one to play! I don't know how to stay fit. I've always been into sports that are competive, or team based....so going to the gym or running does nothing for me. I just can't motivate myself to do it. Plus I've been diagnosed with a slip disc, so my doctor has advised me not to run.

I can see the weight gain on my belly, and some tshirts feel a little tighter, trousers aren't slipping like they were before, and some jeans I no longer need a belt. I even can see the very slight beginnings of dreaded man boobs...

I just feel like I'm in this decline that I can't escape. I don't know how to replace these activities I've been doing for years.

I don't know if I'm going through some sort of 'depression' atm and if that's linked to it. I'm just so fed up with my job which is getting me down and feel so energy sapped. Not sure. Help?
Reply 1
Just get into the habit of doing some sit-ups and press-ups each day and some other light weights if you don't feel like going to the gym or doing a proper work-out. You may not become super muscly but it will keep you in shape.
Cut down on bad fats, start eating healthier. Going jogging just once a week does more than you think it would.
If you drink a lot definitely cut down on that. You could exercise all you like, if you drink a lot of alcohol nothing is getting rid of that belly, empty calories and all that jazz.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone.

So I grew up a bit of a chubby kid, but of puppy fat. Hit pubity late, combined with playing a lot more sports meant I shed it quite quick.
Not skinny or anything, but my BMI was 'normal' and I was pretty average, and more than content with that.

Now I'm putting on weight and I feel hopeless about it.
I'm deffo eating more crap than I've ever had too. I work in a supermarket, so I always buy food on my breaks, or my colleagues by fast food all the time from many local fast food joints.
I've tried to cut back and I bring my own healthier lunch, but I still slip up.

Over the last 6 years I've been really active in sports, playing football once a week, and squash once or twice on top of that.
However, my football team folded last season so I haven't trained in one year really, and I play squash less because I work more than I ever have (50+ hours), so find it hard to find time. Plus people I know have stopped playing, or moved away, gone off to uni.
This just leaves my brother, but he goes off to uni this October.

This leaves me with no one to play! I don't know how to stay fit. I've always been into sports that are competive, or team based....so going to the gym or running does nothing for me. I just can't motivate myself to do it. Plus I've been diagnosed with a slip disc, so my doctor has advised me not to run.

I can see the weight gain on my belly, and some tshirts feel a little tighter, trousers aren't slipping like they were before, and some jeans I no longer need a belt. I even can see the very slight beginnings of dreaded man boobs...

I just feel like I'm in this decline that I can't escape. I don't know how to replace these activities I've been doing for years.

I don't know if I'm going through some sort of 'depression' atm and if that's linked to it. I'm just so fed up with my job which is getting me down and feel so energy sapped. Not sure. Help?

If your fed up with your job leave it. Life is to short be bitching a job you don't like. You need to get out more as in go out with your friends and do activities that you enjoy.
Join a new football club. Join a squash team. Don't eat out. Consume healthy food.
Fair enough, just apply for a new job
You could start by cutting out unhealthy food, and choose greener and healthier options rather than fast food.
Reply 6
Been out for 6 months, keep your job!

I've started doing the 90 day challenge and Im starting to see results. Look it up online. If you focus its possible to do, I mean I'm finding it very hard not to eat junk foods and snacks but I'm fighting my cravings.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by kingquang
You could start by cutting out unhealthy food, and choose greener and healthier options rather than fast food.

I suppose the main problem is exercise. I think when I'm active, it motivates me to eat healthier, if that makes sense.

At the moment, I think my mind thinks; "well if I'm not doing any sport, then I might as well say screw it".

If I can get into a routine of sport again, I think that may be the start of solving my problems.
Reply 8
Trust me, I want to quit and I'm weighing if up now. I've applied for a few things, but it's hard when your working more than full time...

Good luck with finding a job!
Reply 9
Original post by seizetoday
Join a new football club. Join a squash team. Don't eat out. Consume healthy food.

I suppose with a football team, I was fortunate in that I'm bang average.
But I knew everyone in the old team, so it was easier to play with and for them. It'll be hard into another team basically. Plus there aren't any local teams near me.
Squash I could play in the club nights and tournaments my club puts on, however it's not feasibly with my work.
Hmmmm, so what do you do now ?
What's wrong with this advice (and it probably works): Control yourself and stop eating junk food or over-eating when youre not hungry.
Ooo sounds interesting . I don't really no what to say cause I've never been out of a job if I left my job today I would get one by next week. But I no you will get a job the right one will soon come :smile: just keep looking and applying don't give up !!
Original post by johnperp
What's wrong with this advice (and it probably works): Control yourself and stop eating junk food or over-eating when youre not hungry.

Yeah i see what your saying...it's just when your on your break after about 8 of no break, and your just so weak lol. And then when I'm that hungry I just buy too much crap.
aahhh don't say that. Some one does want you !!
Anyone else? Anyone else with a slip disc do running- is it a big deal?

Quick Reply

Latest