The Student Room Group

Good Enough for Med School ?

Can I get into Medicine ?

I'm okay about my results...not too happy...

Maths- A (1 mark off an A* , that's pissed me off)
Chem- A*
Biology- A
Physics- A
Business studies- A
Computing- B
Media studies- B
Eng Language- B
Eng Literature-B

Someone please tell me ?
Original post by money-for-all
Can I get into Medicine ?

I'm okay about my results...not too happy...

Maths- A (1 mark off an A* , that's pissed me off)
Chem- A*
Biology- A
Physics- A
Business studies- A
Computing- B
Media studies- B
Eng Language- B
Eng Literature-B

Someone please tell me ?

Yup, they're fine for Medicine. You'll just need to make sure that when you apply, you avoid GCSE-heavy Medical Schools like Oxford or Birmingham. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Yup, they're fine for Medicine. You'll just need to make sure that when you apply, you avoid GCSE-heavy Medical Schools like Oxford or Birmingham. :smile:

will imperial and kings college be okay to apply for ?

if not , what would be the best uni's in the russel group ?

thanks.
will imperial and kings college be okay to apply for ?

if not , what would be the best uni's in the russel group ?

thanks.

For Imperial, you need at least AAABB in the Sciences, Maths and English (in any order) so your GCSEs are fine for them. They have other factors too such as how good your PS is, A-Level (predicted) grades etc. so you'll be in a better position to decide if you want to apply there in a year or so. They also place a lot of emphasis on the BMAT (most people trip up on the BMAT).

For Kings, I can't remember off the top of my head their GCSE requirements so you'll need to check their website. They place a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT though.

In terms of where your GCSEs are OK for, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

It really doesn't matter if you go to a Russell group Uni or not - you'll hopefully e d up a doctor wherever. :smile:
I got
Maths- A
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A
French- A*
History-A
English Language-A
English Literature-B
P.E- B (Getting it remarked)
Business-B
IT- Waiting for them because Edexcel screwed up
So I was also wondering the same thing if I had a good chance of getting into medical school
Original post by Boredomstrikes
I got
Maths- A
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A
French- A*
History-A
English Language-A
English Literature-B
P.E- B (Getting it remarked)
Business-B
IT- Waiting for them because Edexcel screwed up
So I was also wondering the same thing if I had a good chance of getting into medical school

They're fine - have a look at the link I posted above your post.
Original post by usycool1
For Imperial, you need at least AAABB in the Sciences, Maths and English (in any order) so your GCSEs are fine for them. They have other factors too such as how good your PS is, A-Level (predicted) grades etc. so you'll be in a better position to decide if you want to apply there in a year or so. They also place a lot of emphasis on the BMAT (most people trip up on the BMAT).

For Kings, I can't remember off the top of my head their GCSE requirements so you'll need to check their website. They place a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT though.

In terms of where your GCSEs are OK for, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

It really doesn't matter if you go to a Russell group Uni or not - you'll hopefully e d up a doctor wherever. :smile:

Thank you,

just a couple of final questions,
when do you apply for UKCAT and BMAT ?
is it in sixth form ?
and is it during AS or A2 ?
do you apply independently ? or does the college apply on your behalf ?

Where can I revise for UKCAT and BMAT ?

How many uni's can I apply to for Medicine.

Thank you for your help , I appreciate it :smile:
Thank you,

just a couple of final questions,
when do you apply for UKCAT and BMAT ?
is it in sixth form ?
and is it during AS or A2 ?

You do the UKCAT after your AS exams (if you have any) so next year. You can do it any time between July and October.

The BMAT is done about a month after you apply for Medical School (you apply in October). The risk with the BMAT is that, unlike the UKCAT, you don't know how well you've done when you apply. So it's advisable to apply to only one BMAT Medical School at most.

do you apply independently ? or does the college apply on your behalf ?

For the UKCAT, you apply yourself online.

If your centre offers candidates to do the BMAT, you can ask your examinations officer to enter you and they'll just ask you to fill in some details. If your centre doesn't offer the chance to do the BMAT though, you'll need to contact a centre for yourself to enter you (I believe you can find centres on the BMAT website).

Where can I revise for UKCAT and BMAT ?

Have a look at the website for the BMAT and UKCAT - they should have resources there. For UKCAT, you may wish to have a look into Medify.

How many uni's can I apply to for Medicine.

Thank you for your help , I appreciate it :smile:

Up to 4 Medical Schools. You can add a fifth choice if you like but it can't be Medicine.

No worries :smile:
Hiya i recieved 3 A*''s in spanish, history and core science.

I also recieved 6 A's in additional science, further additional, geography , maths, english lit and lan.
Is this good enough to get into a top medical university like cambridge or is this good enough to get into LSE to study economics.

Quick Reply

Latest