The Student Room Group

Are these GCSE grades good enough to study medicine at Oxbridge??

Maths- A
English language - A
English Lit- B
Biology- A
Physics - A
Chemistry- A
Geography- A*
RE- A*
History - A
French- B
(2 A*s 6As 2 Bs)
Whilst I'm pretty pleased with my results I know that most people studying medicine at Oxford or Cambridge have like at least 6 A*s which kinda worries me. I think I've meet the requirements but in terms of competition between other students do I have any realistic chance of actually getting in???? If it helps I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History for A levels

You have great GCSE grades. However, your A Level grades are way more important. Focus on them :smile:
I'll be honest with you: you probably wouldn't be able to secure an interview at Oxford with those grades, unfortunately :frown:
Original post by snickerprison
Maths- A
English language - A
English Lit- B
Biology- A
Physics - A
Chemistry- A
Geography- A*
RE- A*
History - A
French- B
(2 A*s 6As 2 Bs)
Whilst I'm pretty pleased with my results I know that most people studying medicine at Oxford or Cambridge have like at least 6 A*s which kinda worries me. I think I've meet the requirements but in terms of competition between other students do I have any realistic chance of actually getting in???? If it helps I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History for A levels

Your results will probably below average compared to other students applying, but that doesn't mean they are bad results. You have a good chance of getting in as long as you smash your a levels and have a big impact at the interview.
Well done on your results btw they are great :smile:
I wont lie to you, they're probably not high enough, the people who apply for oxbridge all tend to have 4A's at AS and so the uni will look at your GCSE grades and personal statement as a differentiator, especially with something as competitive as medicine! Your only real option is to do something that really stands out, work experience, volunteering or taking extra classes in the summer could be an option, but if I were you I would look into other universities or courses- you'll have a better chance of getting into oxbridge if you're not applying for medicine.
For Oxbridge medicine GCSEs are massively important, not only for getting an interview but then for how you're ranked after interview for place allocation too. Whilst other people might apply with those grades the average successful applicant for Oxbridge medicine has 100% A*. But please don't feel bad, your results are great, and as long as AS goes well applying for med and getting a place is definitely realistic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It's definitely not 10 A*. It's around 6.2A*s like you said. Have a look at this website and decide if you're comfortable applying. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics. Personally, I have 8 A*s and I'm not comfortable applying to Oxford. I think they have an unhealthy obsession with GCSEs. For that reason I would recommend applying to cambridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by snickerprison
Maths- A
English language - A
English Lit- B
Biology- A
Physics - A
Chemistry- A
Geography- A*
RE- A*
History - A
French- B
(2 A*s 6As 2 Bs)

You will not get into Oxford. See the source quoted above.

You would need amazing (95+ average) UMS to stand any kind of hope at Cambridge. And given your GCSEs you are very unlikely to achieve that. Feel free to try to prove me wrong, but basically: you will not get into Oxford or Cambridge for medicine.

Original post by JOjo9711
It's definitely not 10 A*. It's around 6.2A*s like you said. Have a look at this website and decide if you're comfortable applying. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics.

What is "definitely not 10 A*". The average? Because the very source you quoted shows that the average for a successful applicant is more than 10A*.

I think they have an unhealthy obsession with GCSEs.

lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending