The Student Room Group

Indecision with sixth forms and subjects- help!

Hi everyone! This is my first post, although I have been a silent member for a while now.I'm having some real indecision about which sixth form to go to...

I applied to 3 schools:
My current school's sixth form (let's call it school A)
A single sex grammar sixth form (let's call it school B)
A mixed sex grammar sixth form (school C)

I've managed to get offers from all 3 sixth forms (although I am still waiting confirmation of an offer from school B (in April they gave me a guaranteed place if I got the grades, which I have, so I'm just waiting to hear confirmation of this).

School A isn't a grammar, but it is a familiar setting, my friends are staying on, and I know the teachers, etc, and I achieved well here (5 A*'s and 6 A's- which I'm over the moon about!) I'd be taking English Lit, German and Drama (although thinking of swapping drama to govt.&politics or a science?) and finish the A Level of English Lang (I did the AS in year 10). What do you think of these subject choices?

School B offers the International Baccalaureate which was what attracted me most to it, as I have no idea what to do as a career so I thought that would keep my options more open. It's a grammar, so high achieving, and I know some of the people there so I'd have a couple of friends already. Although I do worry, would it be too much pressure for me, as these people are very high achievers, etc. Here I would take: English lit higher, psychology higher, theatre arts higher, and maths studies, biology standard, and German standard. What do you think of that? And that also leads me to the question, IB vs A Level??

School C I've almost ruled out now, as although it's a (very) high achieving school, I've never visited it before, and I hardly know anyone there- I'd feel like a very small fish in a big pond. I'd be taking English lit, German, biology and drama. I do feel reluctant to decline their offer though. Would it be silly to decline such a good school? Would I be making a terrible decision, even though I don't particularly feel like it's a school for me?

As you can see I'm in a pickle with all this, and I'd really love to hear from you, and hear about your experiences and whether you changed sixth forms or not, how you're finding it, etc.

Sorry for the length of this!! Thank you,Squimoo
Original post by squimoo
Hi everyone! This is my first post, although I have been a silent member for a while now.I'm having some real indecision about which sixth form to go to...

I applied to 3 schools:
My current school's sixth form (let's call it school A)
A single sex grammar sixth form (let's call it school B)
A mixed sex grammar sixth form (school C)

I've managed to get offers from all 3 sixth forms (although I am still waiting confirmation of an offer from school B (in April they gave me a guaranteed place if I got the grades, which I have, so I'm just waiting to hear confirmation of this).

School A isn't a grammar, but it is a familiar setting, my friends are staying on, and I know the teachers, etc, and I achieved well here (5 A*'s and 6 A's- which I'm over the moon about!) I'd be taking English Lit, German and Drama (although thinking of swapping drama to govt.&politics or a science?) and finish the A Level of English Lang (I did the AS in year 10). What do you think of these subject choices?

School B offers the International Baccalaureate which was what attracted me most to it, as I have no idea what to do as a career so I thought that would keep my options more open. It's a grammar, so high achieving, and I know some of the people there so I'd have a couple of friends already. Although I do worry, would it be too much pressure for me, as these people are very high achievers, etc. Here I would take: English lit higher, psychology higher, theatre arts higher, and maths studies, biology standard, and German standard. What do you think of that? And that also leads me to the question, IB vs A Level??

School C I've almost ruled out now, as although it's a (very) high achieving school, I've never visited it before, and I hardly know anyone there- I'd feel like a very small fish in a big pond. I'd be taking English lit, German, biology and drama. I do feel reluctant to decline their offer though. Would it be silly to decline such a good school? Would I be making a terrible decision, even though I don't particularly feel like it's a school for me?

As you can see I'm in a pickle with all this, and I'd really love to hear from you, and hear about your experiences and whether you changed sixth forms or not, how you're finding it, etc.

Sorry for the length of this!! Thank you,Squimoo

Above all else, choose to study in the place you'd be happiest in. I stayed in the school that I've been in since year 7, and it's the best decision I've made! I knew people there, I was familiar with the buildings and how to get around them, my favourite teachers were there etc. On the other hand, it's the most underachieving school in the local area. Luckily, I'm good at self-teaching, and I might be in the running for a contextual offer :wink:

However, school B sounds like it might be the better option for you. Like you've said, the IB offers more breadth, which is great if you're uncertain about what you want to do. It may also mean that you don't like all of your subjects.

High achieving students could either discourage you, or motivate you to do better (it depends on your competitivity and resilience).

Meeting new people is also beneficial in preparing you for university and jobs. It's refreshing to change your friendship group!

Go with your gut, it's only 2 years anyway :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Laurasaur
Above all else, choose to study in the place you'd be happiest in. I stayed in the school that I've been in since year 7, and it's the best decision I've made! I knew people there, I was familiar with the buildings and how to get around them, my favourite teachers were there etc. On the other hand, it's the most underachieving school in the local area. Luckily, I'm good at self-teaching, and I might be in the running for a contextual offer :wink:

However, school B sounds like it might be the better option for you. Like you've said, the IB offers more breadth, which is great if you're uncertain about what you want to do. It may also mean that you don't like all of your subjects.

High achieving students could either discourage you, or motivate you to do better (it depends on your competitivity and resilience).

Meeting new people is also beneficial in preparing you for university and jobs. It's refreshing to change your friendship group!

Go with your gut, it's only 2 years anyway :smile:

Thank you so much for all your advice! I really appreciate it :smile:

I'm glad your happy with your choice, sounds like you're doing fantastically, well done!

I feel the same: I like the fact that I'll be continuing with teachers I know and like, buildings I know my way around, and how the school is and works in general! I think it might make the transition to A Levels a lot smoother.

I just declined my offer to school C, and considering I only applied there because my mum wanted me to, and that I have never been in the school before, I was surprisingly upset and found it really difficult to decline. I'm clearly not very good at committing! I just feel like I should go because it's really quite difficult to get into the school. Is that silly?

Anyway, I still have the task of trying to decide between school A and school B... I hate choosing!!

Thank you for all your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest