The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which is easier is entirely subjective but i do both AQA Physics and Chemistry. Which I find easier depends on the modules. Unit 1 Chemistry was basically about the nuclear model and bonding and there were a few equations thrown in (moles/ideal gasses). It was a lot easier than Unit 2 Physics (Mechanics and Molecular Kinetics) which is quite mathematical. Unit 1 Particle Physics quite easy as it goes through some of the Unit 1 stuff we did in Chemistry, such as the nuclear model and evidence for it (i.e. alpha scattering) and the existence of isotopes, but it goes on to high energy physics, quarks, electron diffraction, wave-particle duality, the photoelectric effect, etc. Unit 3 Organic Chemistry bores the hell out of me. Although it is quite easy, it’s nothing as fun as the Unit 3 Electricity/Elasticity we are doing in Physics. But i find Unit 2 Physical Chem quite interesting.

So

Unit 1 Chem > Unit 2 Physics
Unit 2 Chem < Unit 1 Physics
Unit 3 Chem < Unit 3 Physics

Chemistry is a little bit more demanding than Physics in terms of the work load. Chemistry = more memorisation and less theory. Personally, Physics has the edge as the content is more interesting and physics just feels more important.

PS - I take said subjects and Biology and Maths.
Reply 2
I agree completely, chem has a higher work load and is not as interesting as physics. It being more interesting also made it easier.
Reply 3
Psychic
Which is easier is entirely subjective but i do both AQA Physics and Chemistry. Which I find easier depends on the modules. Unit 1 Chemistry was basically about the nuclear model and bonding and there were a few equations thrown in (moles/ideal gasses). It was a lot easier than Unit 2 Physics (Mechanics and Molecular Kinetics) which is quite mathematical. Unit 1 Particle Physics quite easy as it goes through some of the Unit 1 stuff we did in Chemistry, such as the nuclear model and evidence for it (i.e. alpha scattering) and the existence of isotopes, but it goes on to high energy physics, quarks, electron diffraction, wave-particle duality, the photoelectric effect, etc. Unit 3 Organic Chemistry bores the hell out of me. Although it is quite easy, it’s nothing as fun as the Unit 3 Electricity/Elasticity we are doing in Physics. But i find Unit 2 Physical Chem quite interesting.

So

Unit 1 Chem > Unit 2 Physics
Unit 2 Chem < Unit 1 Physics
Unit 3 Chem < Unit 3 Physics

Chemistry is a little bit more demanding than Physics in terms of the work load. Chemistry = more memorisation and less theory. Personally, Physics has the edge as the content is more interesting and physics just feels more important.

PS - I take said subjects and Biology and Maths.

thanks that really helped in consolidating the views i had, but i guess i should go and have a look at the modules my school does
Reply 4
I did both chemistry and physics at A-level. Physics was easier, or at least there was less material, but chemistry was far more interesting.
Reply 5
Childermass
I did both chemistry and physics at A-level. Physics was easier, or at least there was less material, but chemistry was far more interesting.

Ditto.
Reply 6
I find Physics interesting and easier than Chemistry, which for me was quite the workload and boring! I also take Maths and Business Studies.
Reply 7
Out of all science subjects.. physics is the one you don't do that much work for and yet the most interesting :smile:
Reply 8
Shushi
Out of all science subjects.. physics is the one you don't do that much work for and yet the most interesting :smile:

Agree with the first bit, not so much with the second part. :p:
Reply 9
It is interesting, well the experiments are, my teacher once brought a gun to school, and we used it to measure the velocity of the bullet. After we a had contest to see who was the best shooter by target.
Reply 10
celeritas
Agree with the first bit, not so much with the second part. :p:

says the chemist.
Reply 11
Psychic
says the chemist.

who is doing the whole physics course, who is actually the one who's most engaged in that class.
Reply 12
celeritas
who is doing the whole physics course, who is actually the one who's most engaged in that class.

me! :p: okey let's not argue about this anymore..the other night I was up until 3:30am arguing with someone why physics is more 'fundamental' than chemistry...
physics peeps say lol isn't it obvious? quarks blah blah
chemistry peeps say otherwise :smile: what's the point
science can not exist without each other..but I have to say biology is not on the same level as chemistry or physics but I am not saying it's not important since we won't be even alive and I wouldn't be here typing :wink: if no one give me some medicine when I am ill :p:

This is like arguing maths and physics.. you can't do physics without maths but maths by itself is useless...
Reply 13
^ If it was more fundamental then I&#8217;d be studying it, surely. Clearly it's not.
Reply 14
lol i never knew this thread was still running, well in the end I choose both and dropped geography, thanks for everyone's help
Reply 15
fblade
It is interesting, well the experiments are, my teacher once brought a gun to school, and we used it to measure the velocity of the bullet. After we a had contest to see who was the best shooter by target.

rofl physics teachers are awesome
Reply 16
^^ Another good thing, Last week my other physics teachers let us do a presentation on Capacitors instead of him teaching us, so we did [I learnt much better this way]. So we like added sounds and stuff, too many jokes...farts, drive-by's, breaking glass, physics is the best... got an A in the exam as well! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Debating is fun!
Reply 18
Please for your own health choose physics! I absolutely hate doing chemistry (I do both)
Swinely
Please for your own health choose physics! I absolutely hate doing chemistry (I do both)

comon man, chemistry is beautiful i love chem and detest physics
AS chemistry is such a walk over you can get through unit 1 edex chemistry with ease all you need to know is a few chemical reactions, how to balance equations, the repulsion theory and molecule shapes all are easy compared to unit 1 edex physics mechanics kinematics of motion radiation all the work with half life , the average size of an atoms radius, momentum this and momentum that, forces in equilibrium....etc (very boring )
in unit 2 edex chemistry all you have to concentrate on are the organic chemistry, honestly if you list all the organic reactions in unit 2 it will take 6 pages if memorised +read some stuff on equilibria and industrial processes i grantee you an A (this has my own seal of proof ,tried and tested by me) compared to unit 2 edex physics thermal and electricity an enormous headache no matter how many times you read the topics the questions asked have no relations with the stuff taught
both unit 3 chem and phy are quite tricky but i personally think that unit 3 physics is slightly easier

overall chemistry rules and physics sucks BiG Time

Latest

Trending

Trending