The Student Room Group

Student Railcards and Season Tickets (London)

Hi!

I'm going to a London university in September and I'll be commuting in from the outskirts of Greater London, taking the train and tube. My first thought was to get a student railcard (16-25 railcard, which apparently as a student I can get even though I'm over 25 now :P ) However, on their website it says that the discounts don't apply to season tickets, and the only Travelcards mentioned are the dailies.

Does this mean that I couldn't use the railcard to buy discounted monthly Travelcards for the zones that I need? If so, any suggestions? Full fares are expensive. :/

Thanks for any help! :smile:
Original post by Leksaa
Hi!

I'm going to a London university in September and I'll be commuting in from the outskirts of Greater London, taking the train and tube. My first thought was to get a student railcard (16-25 railcard, which apparently as a student I can get even though I'm over 25 now :P ) However, on their website it says that the discounts don't apply to season tickets, and the only Travelcards mentioned are the dailies.

Does this mean that I couldn't use the railcard to buy discounted monthly Travelcards for the zones that I need? If so, any suggestions? Full fares are expensive. :/

Thanks for any help! :smile:

Hey the railcard only applies to daily tickets. However, if you live in London it may be worth getting a student oyster photocard as that will give you a 30% discount on season tickets. Also it only costs £20, whereas the railcard costs £30 and is for trains outside London.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/18-student
(edited 8 years ago)
That's brilliant! Just what I need - thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending