The Student Room Group

Would my grades be good enough for Cambridge University?

I have just received my GCSE results and I am wondering whether my grades would be good enough for oxbridge. I have already researched but am not sure whether my specific grades would be suitable or not... I think that perhaps Cambridge would be more suitable from what I have read but am still not sure.

In total, I got 5A*s, 5As and 1B.

English Literature: A*
English Language: A*
Spanish: A*
Geography: A*
Art & Design: A*
Maths: A
Core Science: A
Additional Science: A
Further Additional Science: A
Sociology: A
I.T: B

In some exams I was marks off an A* and I was gutted about I.T! I'm still not sure exactly which courses I would like to take but would my grades be good enough? Thank you...

Scroll to see replies

Well done for getting the results you did. I heard the exams were quite hard this year, and a lot of papers, mainly A and AS levels, were graded rather low.

GCSE grades don't matter that much when applying to universities, because they are mainly looking at your AS levels, and your predicted A levels. However, sometimes when two applicants are very similar, they will look at GCSE results to help decide, although I've mostly heard of this from Oxford, and I'm guessing it would be quite rare. Your grades are very good, but I believe I read somewhere that the average Oxbridge applicant achieves at least sixty percent A* results in their GCSEs, or at least eight A*s. But don't let that stop you: if you want to aim for Oxbridge, you aim for Oxbridge. It requires serious hard work and effort, though, since you need A*AA for arts subjects, and A*A*A for science subjects, and quite a few applicants who have achieved those grades at A level were still unsuccessful at getting a place.

If you are serious about wanting to get into Oxford or Cambridge, you have to commit to working your hardest and doing the best you can, in both your AS and your A levels. But if you are serious, I wish you the best of luck, whatever course you decide to take, and I hope you will get into the university of your choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
They usually guarantee interviews with people with 6A*s+, your GCSEs are in that region so you shouldn't have to worry. They really won't care past that, it's really your AS results (and specifically marks) that they care about.
Original post by jamesmc12
They usually guarantee interviews with people with 6A*s+, your GCSEs are in that region so you shouldn't have to worry. They really won't care past that, it's really your AS results (and specifically marks) that they care about.

They NEVER guarantee interview for anyone on basis of GCSE.
GCSE is not as important as A- levels but they do look at it as contextual data.
Reply 4
They usually guarantee interviews with people with 6A*s+, your GCSEs are in that region so you shouldn't have to worry.

No they don't.

Please don't make up "advise", it's not helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No they don't.

Please don't make up "advise", it's not helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't make up advice, please don't make unhelpful claims.

I'm certain that's what they said at one of their open says (for CS), and what my teacher who was a graduate and organised my school's oxbridge applications said. They certainly focus on AS levels much, which is why on their SAQ form they ask for every UMS score and class size for your AS, and at my Cambridge interview they also brought up my AS levels, but I can't seem to recall any mention of my GCSEs along the process
Original post by vincrows
They NEVER guarantee interview for anyone on basis of GCSE.
GCSE is not as important as A- levels but they do look at it as contextual data.

That's why there's the usually, I suppose it's a weird wording, but I'm sure that's what was said by a tutor at one of the open days. In my year, out of the 20 or so people I knew that applied, the only person who was rejected without an interview only managed a few A*s at GCSE.
Reply 7
I didn't make up advice, please don't make unhelpful claims.

I'm certain that's what they said at one of their open says (for CS), and what my teacher who was a graduate and organised my school's oxbridge applications said. They certainly focus on AS levels much, which is why on their SAQ form they ask for every UMS score and class size for your AS, and at my Cambridge interview they also brought up my AS levels, but I can't seem to recall any mention of my GCSEs along the process

It's not true. You probably misheard or misunderstood. They DO NOT guarantee interviews on the basis of GCSEs. If you don't believe me ask the Christ's AT in his thread.

And if you can't recall any mention of GCSEs along the process why are you saying they guarantee an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
they're ok, but it depends what what course, which A levels you pick and how well you do in the A levels, they are of little significance to an Oxbridge application, they merely tick 1 of many boxes
Reply 9
That's why there's the usually, I suppose it's a weird wording, but I'm sure that's what was said by a tutor at one of the open days. In my year, out of the 20 or so people I knew that applied, the only person who was rejected without an interview only managed a few A*s at GCSE.

..and probably below par UMS at AS or incorrect A-levels for the course or some other concern about the application.

Unless it was medicine in which case, yes, GCSEs play a larger role. But equally that doesn't mean you can say high numbers of A* GCSEs guarantees an interview (usually or not). It's just incorrect information, plain and simple.

On the other hand high (93+) AS UMS in the correct subjects for the course does (usually, and excluding Maths & Medicine) guarantee an interview...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, they're absolutely fine. Aside from the B, I have the same amount of As and A*s as you and I'm applying this year. Focus on your AS and A2 Levels and deepening your interest in your subject.

I've never really considered my GCSE grades to be a huge disadvantage :smile:
Your results are completely fine. What you do from this point onward is what really matters so do the very best you can and see how it goes.

You should replace 'usually' with 'never.'
Reply 13
You should replace 'usually' with 'never.'

PRSOM
Reply 14
I got 5As, 3Bs and 3Cs at GCSE. If I try harder at my A levels any chance I can get into Oxbridge? Also have you ever heard of anyone who couldn't get an A* at GCSE but got it at A level?
Original post by Mason_
I got 5As, 3Bs and 3Cs at GCSE. If I try harder at my A levels any chance I can get into Oxbridge? Also have you ever heard of anyone who couldn't get an A* at GCSE but got it at A level?

How does you GCSE result compare to rest of the school?
Cambridge uses GCSE results as contextual data. So if your grades are much better than average performance of your school and/or you had very serious extenuating circumstance that prevent you from performing as good as you could have and you showed huge improvement at A-levels, you may still have a chance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
How does you GCSE result compare to rest of the school?
Cambridge uses GCSE results as contextual data. So if your grades are much better than average performance of your school and/or you had very serious extenuating circumstance that prevent you from performing as good as you could have and you showed huge improvement at A-levels, you may still have a chance.

In comparison to my school they are way above average. Even the smartest people in my year got only a few A*s along with multiple Bs and Cs but when I hear people from elsewhere have got all As and A*s it doesn't seem like it was anywhere near good enough
Original post by Mason_
In comparison to my school they are way above average. Even the smartest people in my year got only a few A*s along with multiple Bs and Cs but when I hear people from elsewhere have got all As and A*s it doesn't seem like it was anywhere near good enough

What Cambridge definitely does not like is an applicant who underperformed in a good-performing school. But in your case it's completely opposite, so it will work in your favour.
However, it'll be a serious hard work for someone with no A* at GCSE to get the grades Cambridge require and many applicants have grades that exceed their entry requirement. So just achieving the requirement will not guarantee an offer.
Other parts of applications, like personal statement, reference, super-curricular (extra-curricular related to the subject you're applying to) etc. just as important, and how you perform at interview/test are very important, too.
They look at all these elements individually.

What course are you thinking of applying and what subjects are you doing in A-levels?
Reply 18
What Cambridge definitely does not like is an applicant who underperformed in a good-performing school. But in your case it's completely opposite, so it will work in your favour.
However, it'll be a serious hard work for someone with no A* at GCSE to get the grades Cambridge require and many applicants have grades that exceed their entry requirement. So just achieving the requirement will not guarantee an offer.
Other parts of applications, like personal statement, reference, super-curricular (extra-curricular related to the subject you're applying to) etc. just as important, and how you perform at interview/test are very important, too.
They look at all these elements individually.

What course are you thinking of applying and what subjects are you doing in A-levels?

Maths, physics, chemistry and economics. Initially I wanted to study mechanical engineering at uni but after asking around I was told engineering jobs are always outside of the city and living outside of London is just something I can't do so I'm probably going to go for economics or architecture and I haven't picked art for A level so that's quite unlikely
Original post by Mason_
Maths, physics, chemistry and economics. Initially I wanted to study mechanical engineering at uni but after asking around I was told engineering jobs are always outside of the city and living outside of London is just something I can't do so I'm probably going to go for economics or architecture and I haven't picked art for A level so that's quite unlikely

.Engineering, Economics and Architectures are all extremely competitive course at Cambridge, unfortunately. You'll really need seriously good application profile to be successful.

No interest in civil engineering? There's a lot of job opportunities for that in London because of redevelopment/building boom in recent years. It will continue to be so for quite a long time, I think. Many major civil engineering firms have a head office or a large branch in London, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending