The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Uni Accommodation Info MKII (Please post all questions here)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chris.Rock
If I were to live in SB, what shops, such as Tesco, Waitrose, etc. would be available to me and how far away are they?

To requote my above post:

Most people shop at the big sainsburys on whiteladies and take the bus up (or go on big trips with people who have cars).
The only shops kinda nearby really are Waitrose and the small amounts available at the cafe at HB.

The Waitrose near is the one '51 Northumbria Drive' - distance depends on halls. Closest to Wills.

Original post by alisiabevan
Hey
Kinda narrowed it down to Hiatt Baker, University Hall and Goldney (possibly Manor Hall )
Looking for one that's really sociable, can anyone suggest which might be the best one out of these? what are the pros/ cons of each? :smile:

All very sociable (apart from MH, no clue on that)
HB is slightly nicer than UH, more modern, but similar atmosphere.
Goldney is by far the most attractive. The least 'edgy' or hipster or durg use etc of the 3.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Is there any information on the size of the beds in the 'single no basin' rooms of the City Centre Riverside properties?

They're all meant to be double beds (although I'd personally say they're closer to 3/4 the size of a double).
Original post by k4l397
They're all meant to be double beds (although I'd personally say they're closer to 3/4 the size of a double).

Great, thanks for the reply!
Does anybody know how noisy Unite House and Orchard Heights are in terms of being next to the O2? Are you able to hear the what's going on inside the venue and how bad is the noise with people coming and going? Thanks :smile:
Reply 584
Hi,

If anyone is looking for a very cheap but high quality alternative to Halls Accommodation then myself and a couple of friends have got a house lined up in the Filton (just off Gloucester Road) area of Bristol. The house is really nice and big with a big garden. Admittedly it is an hours walk from UoB and 30 minutes from UWE but there are regular buses going all the time. Our aim is to buy an annual bus pass that is £300pa. The rent is £78pw, not including gas/electricity etc. which is an extremely cheap alternative to Halls. I stayed in Richmond Terrace this year and this new house saves me approx £2,500.
Please message me if you are interested so I can send you further details i.e. Links to the listing, personal details. I will stress that given the interest in this property from other people we're looking for someone to commit in the next 48 hours. If you want to know anymore about us feel free to message to. Two of us are from the Bristol area so feel free to ask anything about that too.

Thanks.
They updated the accommodation details for 2016 and it seems that they introduced a new residence, New Bridewell.
Original post by Procaffinator
They updated the accommodation details for 2016 and it seems that they introduced a new residence, New Bridewell.

Interesting. Price increases range from £2 (Rackhay, Waverley) to £14 (Winkworth).

New Bridewell looks disgustingly decadent for student digs.
Does anyone know if there's information available for how many people applied for each residence is 2015/16?
Original post by clo-jo11
Does anyone know if there's information available for how many people applied for each residence is 2015/16?

Before the update there was an out-of-five-stars system in place which gave you a rough idea of how popular each property was during application. This (and other useful pieces of information) seems to be gone now, replaced with a few extra photos.

:colonhash:
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Before the update there was an out-of-five-stars system in place which gave you a rough idea of how popular each property was during application. This (and other useful pieces of information) seems to be gone now, replaced with a few extra photos.

:colonhash:

I remember most of them roughly, but there was pdf too with exactly how many people applied for each residence broken down into 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices so I wondered of there was one of those for last year but it seems not :frown:
Original post by clo-jo11
I remember most of them roughly, but there was pdf too with exactly how many people applied for each residence broken down into 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices so I wondered of there was one of those for last year but it seems not :frown:

Sadly not, I've looked too, as the list I had has disappeared now, but can't find anything.
I'll try to find out if they have one or will be releasing an updated preference list.
Hey, so it says Goldney Hall is an alcohol free zone, don't wanna sound stupid but does that mean you're not allowed alcohol in your room or allowed to drink any etc, or does it depend what part of Goldney you're in ?
Original post by alisiabevan
Hey, so it says Goldney Hall is an alcohol free zone, don't wanna sound stupid but does that mean you're not allowed alcohol in your room or allowed to drink any etc, or does it depend what part of Goldney you're in ?

Yeah I got really confused by it, alcohol-free zones means that you can store drink in your room but you can drink it in your flat at all. I assume it only applies to individual flats, for people that specify it on their application, because I can't see them making 3 halls at university with 600+ students dry lmao. I them emailed to clarify this, hopefully not sounding like an alcoholic.
On the updated website they've put whether we can choose each residence as a first, second or third preference, however the only residences that can be put as third preference are waverley, favell and the rackhay. Surely this will mean loads of people will apply to these halls (as you are forced to make one your 3rd choice) and make it even harder to allocate places?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gcsestudent123
On the updated website they've put whether we can choose each residence as a first, second or third preference, however the only residences that can be put as third preference are waverley, favell and the rackhay. Surely this will mean loads of people will apply to these halls (as you are forced to make one your 3rd choice) and make it even harder to allocate places?

This confused me also, as a lots of halls have been allowed for 2nd preference which never were before (oversubscribed ones like Churchill or Wills).

However, I'd guess it's because the 4 newer halls have increased capacity enough to do so, and whilst the statistics aren't available yet, I presume people are picking much more evenly than before.

3rd preference was always the unite/city centre ones though anyway, though it was more than just those 3 I think. And 86% were given one of their 3 preferred places, so should work out fine.
I'm in The Courtrooms this year so will be happy to answer any questions!
Original post by Tash28
I'm in The Courtrooms this year so will be happy to answer any questions!

How sociable is the courtrooms? Are there lots of international students and how is the quality of the bathrooms/bedrooms? Thanks :smile:
How sociable is the courtrooms? Are there lots of international students and how is the quality of the bathrooms/bedrooms? Thanks :smile:

I've found that it is not sociable at all, my flat are not nice people and at least half of the building are international. The bedrooms are nice but small, and the bathroom is absolutely tiny but has everything you need apart from storage. The kitchens really vary in size but I have a huge corner kitchen which is great.
Original post by Tash28
I've found that it is not sociable at all, my flat are not nice people and at least half of the building are international. The bedrooms are nice but small, and the bathroom is absolutely tiny but has everything you need apart from storage. The kitchens really vary in size but I have a huge corner kitchen which is great.

Thank you so much! Would you say that Stoke Bishop is a better place to be then? I am thinking of applying to wills/Churchill but don't want to be seen as a 'rah' because I know they have this rep!
Thank you so much! Would you say that Stoke Bishop is a better place to be then? I am thinking of applying to wills/Churchill but don't want to be seen as a 'rah' because I know they have this rep!

Wills is fabulous, do it.
You won't regret it.

Stereotypes are stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending